Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Sugilite's Winter Project - 1989 ZXR750H1 face lift

Bike
    Aprillia RSV1000R 92 KX500
    Blog Entries

Sugilite's Winter Project - 1989 ZXR750H1 face lift

Earlier this year, I went to pick up a 2nd hand motor with a snapped cam chain to salvage the gearbox for my bike, and ended up getting another ZXR750 as well for $750. After not having a bike to ride for over 1.5 years, something needed to be done. So I decided to give the "new" bike a face lift and get it on the road. Note I say face lift, not restoration as I'm not a mechanics arsehole. I had to do it all to a micro budget, but luckily for me, a box of spare parts came with the bike and I pretty much had everything I needed to complete the project. I decided to paint it myself and use spray bombs, I know it won't last, but could not afford to have it done properly, more on that later. Anyways, I started with the bike below....

Right, I've got the only tools I'm qualified to use below, time to get started!

Now the bike is in the sugilite man cave, it's time to start the strip down

OK, got the skateboards under the motor to catch it!

Turns out I just needed one skateboard, I used it to wheel the motor out to the car to take it to my friend who is going to build the motor for project number two, the post classic racebike. More on that later.

More to come.....

Bike
    less than I used to have
    ...i hope they are a metric set of hammers you are using....

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    I shall watch this rather like the ol' 750.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    900 Hornet, Preddy, RZ's, A100's
    Blog Entries
    So, no mr blocky? Mr Mallet and Mr Blocky always needs to be paired together! Good to see you putting something keen together!
    "I like to ride anyplace, anywhere, any time, any way!"

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDR
    Love the hammers, but are you qualified to use skateboards?
    Nunquam Non Paratus

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMSec View Post
    A left handed metric set.

Good to see you playing with bikes again mate
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    Street Triple R
    we used to have curtains the same as that in our old house.

very impressed you are allowed to use what looks like a spare bedroom for the rebuild.

was it easy to get the old beast in there?
    I thought elections were decided by angry posts on social media. - F5 Dave

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryDorsetCase View Post

very impressed you are allowed to use what looks like a spare bedroom for the rebuild.
    Haha - my wife was looking over my shoulder and asked if the bike was in a bedroom.

Good to see things coming along mate !!
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post

Haha - my wife was looking over my shoulder and asked if the bike was in a bedroom.

Good to see things coming along mate !!
    It's only a small bedroom, not large enough to stick kids in!!! He was also being thoughtful and put a tarp on the floor BEFORE moving anything in there.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    Japanese Zero, Yer mama
    err, what weight are those skateboards certified for?

OSH would have a frickin ball if they got hold of these pics
    I've spent my money on bikes, booze and babes. The rest I've wasted....

Bike
    Blog Entries
    I just got back from my 1st ride in 1.5 years and I'm sky high on adrenaline! I did not want to start this thread till I knew I could complete the project for sure. I really enjoy reading other peoples project threads and get disappointed when they suddenly stop never to be seen again!

Quote Originally Posted by CAMSec View Post
    After reading this, I raced down to the hardware store to score me some metric hammers, the guy told me they were right beside the long weights, I went round and round and could not find these "long waits" or the metric hammers

Quote Originally Posted by Owl View Post
    Love the hammers, but are you qualified to use skateboards?
    Ex nz champ maaaaany moons ago, one of those skateboards is mine. Engine weighs 68 kg's, less than me, so all good there hehe.

was it easy to get the old beast in there?
    We have two houses opposite each other (very rural), work in one and live in the other. It is a really tight squeeze getting the bike in there, but I've had lots of practice!

Thanks for the support peoples!

Right, I'll post some more pics now....

Bike
    None any more
    At last. Somebody who may be able to answer THAT question for me.

The ZXR250 has them too, but what do those vacuum cleaner hoses do? Vent fumes or pressurise the fuel tank's contents when the bike is moving forward?
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Blog Entries
    OK, she is starting to look a bit bare now, I've suspended the bike from the ceiling ready to remove the swingarm and front end. Mmmmmm Hammer!

Just down to the frame now, which I'm going to polish. I read lots of how to articles on the net, as ever there were plenty of opinions on the best way to do this, for the record I stated with 100 grit, then down to 400, then autosol, I was not going for the "ultimate" polish job, I just wanted it to look better than the beaten up scratched painted original.

Oh yeah, I took lots and lots of photos like this to help with reassembly. Helps for numpties like me to get the thing back together...in theory!

Tanks off, and prepping for paint.

Check out sugilites custom paint shop There are quite a few discs because I'm doing project twos (racebike) The ones going on the roadbike are already polished, so I'm not keen to paint those. The discs shown below are going on the race bike. Wet and Dry wheels. They are in slightly better condition than the ones I'm using on the road bike.

More to come....

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    At last. Somebody who may be able to answer THAT question for me.

The ZXR250 has them too, but what do those vacuum cleaner hoses do? Vent fumes or pressurise the fuel tank's contents when the bike is moving forward?
    Their only purpose is to direct "cooling" air to the top of the cam cover/head. It was not until later models Kawasaki worked out they would be better served for ram air purposes. The H models air boxes draw air from the sides, so none of this cooling air makes it that far. I have always left the "hoover" hoses off as I used to consider them quite ugly, however they have now grown on me and I will actually fit them to the bike this time.

Bike
    Japanese Zero, Yer mama
    Quote Originally Posted by sugilite View Post
    Their only purpose is to direct "cooling" air to the top of the cam cover/head. It was not until later models Kawasaki worked out they would be better served for ram air purposes. The H models air boxes draw air from the sides, so none of this cooling air makes it that far. I have always left the "hoover" hoses off as I used to consider them quite ugly, however they have now grown on me and I will actually fit them to the bike this time.
    They also came in handy to hide your stash from mr plod.... ahem..
    I've spent my money on bikes, booze and babes. The rest I've wasted....

Thread Information