Thread: More performance when cold?

Bike
    Honda XR200R, 1998

More performance when cold?

I have found with my scooter: suzuki sepia zz, [2-stroke] that it has more acceleration when i first take of from home, than if i started again from stand still again at another 3 kms.... anyone know why?

please help

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by accel_unlimited View Post
    I have found with my scooter: suzuki sepia zz, [2-stroke] that it has more acceleration when i first take of from home, than if i started again from stand still again at another 3 kms.... anyone know why?

please help
    It's most likely because it's running a bit lean when it warms up. Do you also find it goes better when it freezing cold outside?

The other thing I think it could be, is that the V belt is a bit tired, not grabbing as well when it heats up.

Bike
    02 Piaggio X9 250
    Could it be the automatic choke?

Bike
    Honda XR200R, 1998
    yes it does go better when it is colder outside..... i dont think it would be the belt not gripping because it revvs normally.. welll actually revvs a bit less when it engages warmed up....

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    Quote Originally Posted by accel_unlimited View Post
    yes it does go better when it is colder outside..... i dont think it would be the belt not gripping because it revvs normally.. welll actually revvs a bit less when it engages warmed up....

Righto then, most likely cause is the mixture. It may be the choke not opening properly if it is an automatic one, other than that, my knowledge is now exhausted on the matter, I've had no personal experience with them, so I could very well be completely wrong.

I realise this means my comments are worthless, and leave you back where you started, but I just love the sound of my own voice.

Sorry

Bike
    Honda XR200R, 1998
    well it dosent blow any smoke.... could that mean that it not getting enough oil? and also.. do you need to put like gearbox oil in where the belt drive and shit is?

Bike
    V-strom 650, SJ50QT Scooter Commuter
    Blog Entries

Fart Along!

My automatic choke makes my scoot 'fart along' for 300m. On cold frosty mornings it 'farts along' for a lot longer. Acceleration on these mornings is considerably sluggish. If parked in the shade on a frosty, overcast day and therefore very cold takes three attempts to start and then 'farts along' some more. Technical speak is such fun! Cheers.
    When you take thousands of photos of your bike does the light from the flash weaken the plastic?

Bike
    1989 Honda CBR250R
    cold air is dense, so theres more of it. your bike is probably tuned from the factory to be slightly rich so the lean caused by the extra air gets canceled out and burns a perfect mix hence your scooter is more eager to rev up when its cold.

I noticed this alot on my old scooter, not so much on my motorcycle.

Thread Information