Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Blind spots - or how not to follow a cage

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by McJim View Post
    I have to confess I have never been caught by surprise by a bike while in the cage. ... Mind you I've been 23 years on 2 wheels and only 5 years on 4 wheels. Maybe my observation skills are biased.
    Being a biker, you have to be observant if you don't want to be dead.

When I bought my first bike, my father pointed out that I needed to be like a fighter pilot, moving my head around looking in all directions (in WWII, they used to wear silk scarves to stop chafing on their neck when doing this). I guess that seeing he'd been a biker himself once, and had flown Harvards at university (ATC), he knew what he was talking about.

When my wife was commuting by bus all the time, she was a terrible passenger to have in the car. Her observation skills were rusty, and she was much less aware of what was going on around her than I was, because I commuted by bike every day. I'd have noticed something and dismissed it or responded to it, and a few seconds later, there'd be a sharp intake of breath from the passenger seat, or a "Look out!", and I'd freak out, wondering WTF I'd missed seeing.

Unlike you, I have missed seeing bikes - usually when I'm sitting in traffic in the car, and one lanesplits past me. Gives me a hell of a fright if it's a noisy one, so it MUST be a good thing, waking up dozy car drivers.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    GSXR 600
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    Being a biker, you have to be observant if you don't want to be dead.:
    Whoa! This has just got me thinking about observational skills...
    I have been riding road bikes approx 5 days per week for the last 20 years.

Last week at a cafe, I was getting grief from my wife for continually noticing people moving around the cafe and not "focusing entirely on the conversation." (I am sure all you married guys must all get that one).

But I wonder if my "Filtering Head" has been on so long now, that it is difficult to turn it off. Does anyone else exhibit this sensitivity to peripheral movement?

(I am sure that the conversation was riveting, although I can't recall what it was about).
    I'm NOT Homophobic!! I am not afraid of my own house.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    That's good advice. Perhaps it does mean you're less visible but expecting any other road user to take action to avoid you is tantamount to a death wish. Bad enough if they can see you in front of them but relying on them to be aware of you behind them for your peace of mind is not a good idea.

The reason for lurking in the RH wheel tracks of a car is that when the bastard unexpectedly hits the picks he can stop a fair bit better than you can on your bike, it gives you a chance to dodge out past him while you're braking. Even if the obstacle he's trying to pull up for is an issue for you too it gives you at least the cars length extra braking room.

If the bastard happens to be driving an 18 wheeler I promise you he can stop quicker than pretty much anything else on the road. Truck or car if you think he's going to brake less hard because he's aware you're there behind him then think again. Just go ahead and assume you're invisible huh? safer all round.
    Where do you get than information from??
    An 18 wheeler stops faster than a bike. Your AVERAGE cage stops faster than a bike? (ignoring high performance cars)
    I'd suggest you talk to a trucky or two before making a statement like that.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    Where do you get than information from??
    An 18 wheeler stops faster than a bike. Your AVERAGE cage stops faster than a bike? (ignoring high performance cars)
    I'd suggest you talk to a trucky or two before making a statement like that.
    Ignoring aerodynamic considerations (the reason an F1 cage can brake at about 2.5G initially) and reaction time it's down to mass and friction. And yes your average cage has a higher traction to mass ratio than a bike. Trucks vary enornously but in the right conditions an unloaded 18 wheeler can stop faster than most cars. To make the comparison even worse a bike's CG is comparitively high, which means you're effectively relying on the friction from the front wheel only.

Can't be arsed doing the google thing, if you don't want to believe your average car can out-brake a bike go right ahead.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    my little pony
    I ride on the left hand edge of the RH wheel rut, usually its nice & clean but picking up the unworn courseness for grip.
    If there are any other factors involved than you could be following the vehicle in front vehicle to closely. Even the 2 second rule is not always adequate, I'm usually trying to protect the space in front of me from other cages. Also drivers are lazy and tend to mimic what is happening up front, so they are likely to create more of a gap behind you as well.
    But hey, I don't live in a large overcaged populated area.

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Currently having a lively debate with some cagers who think "why bother to look for blind spots as we know they are there but you can't see them, so why bother looking in the first place."

trying to get them to look over over shoulder to minimise blind spot, seems like I am pushing the proverbial.....

i try and ride ride so I can be seen, but the number of times I have seen others just change lanes, without looking or indicating just seems to be on the increase, particularly the closer to dorkland Yi travel.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    Daelim VL250 Daystar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ocean1 View Post
    Ignoring aerodynamic considerations (the reason an F1 cage can brake at about 2.5G initially) and reaction time it's down to mass and friction. And yes your average cage has a higher traction to mass ratio than a bike. Trucks vary enornously but in the right conditions an unloaded 18 wheeler can stop faster than most cars. To make the comparison even worse a bike's CG is comparitively high, which means you're effectively relying on the friction from the front wheel only.

Can't be arsed doing the google thing, if you don't want to believe your average car can out-brake a bike go right ahead.
    I think your probably right, never done the numbers though. The last linehaul truck i was shackled to had a disc braked tractor unit with EBS on that and the drum braked trailer. Also had 5 stage 900kw worth of hydraulic braker via gearbox retarder that automatically used at least stage 2 of that when touching brake pedal.
    The beauty of EBS over ABS is that it senses in microseconds the speed at which your foot is pressing the brake pedal and KNOWS you NEED an emergency stop before you've even got the pedal to the floor. It then ramps each individual brake up to its lock up point and backs off a fraction of a notch.
    On the odd occasion i had to do proper emergency stops i wa suitably impressed.
    Overseas i drove units that also had disc braked trailers and WOW they were good alright...

Bikes are good and braking from higher speeds but at road legal speeds half decent cages prob have it over bikes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ridS396W2BY
    Govt gives you nothing because it creates nothing - Javier Milei

Bike
    Yo momma
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    Watch out for cages with fogged up back windows too--they can see half of sweet stuff all.
    You see quite a bit of this around here.
    Not that you would be riding your bike at the same time though...Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Acardrivingontheroadwhilstcoveredinsnowwithonlyapeepholeforthedrivertoseeoutof-1546967_zps8e5881.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	324735

Bike
    In response to Ocean1's claim that cages and trucks can brake better than a bike.

Why is it then your average good truck driver follows a 4-5 second rule instead of the 2 second rule? It is because unless they are driving the latest and greatest Volvo truck the stopping distance is much higher.

My BHS trainer told me that your average bike has a better stopping distance over your average car, so to watch out for getting rear ended by stopping too fast.

Although it is an Australian video, I did google it and came across this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loaJVp4ARZA in saying that bikes, cars and trucks vary so much within their class of vehicle there can be times where this is untrue.

Therefore probably the best thing to do is in a safe environment test your bike's braking as safely as possible, as to know what you can do and what you can't before you have to. I know my bike can out brake my cage and my cage can out brake a Suzuki GN250 or similar, I know this as I have tested both, the bike I tested intentionally and the cage I tested unintentionally.

Bike
    RSV4RR, M109R, ZX10R
    Blog Entries
    True story

Today I was in work ute at Lower Hutt lights on hw2. When the lights changed green 2 cars left the line and then both had to stop as a Holden came down from the hills at 80plus kph straight through a red and into the Hutt. Im so glad the rider beside me hadn't cut to the front of the waiting traffic. If any bike had split to the front of the traffic and then left on the green I would have been watching a death rather than near miss. Be careful out there.
    I have evolved as a KB member.Now nothing I say should be taken seriously.

Bike
    my little pony
    Quote Originally Posted by Aphro_Ant View Post
    In response to Ocean1's claim that cages and trucks can brake better than a bike.

Why is it then your average good truck driver follows a 4-5 second rule instead of the 2 second rule? It is because unless they are driving the latest and greatest Volvo truck the stopping distance is much higher.

My BHS trainer told me that your average bike has a better stopping distance over your average car, so to watch out for getting rear ended by stopping too fast.

Although it is an Australian video, I did google it and came across this. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=loaJVp4ARZA in saying that bikes, cars and trucks vary so much within their class of vehicle there can be times where this is untrue.

Therefore probably the best thing to do is in a safe environment test your bike's braking as safely as possible, as to know what you can do and what you can't before you have to. I know my bike can out brake my cage and my cage can out brake a Suzuki GN250 or similar, I know this as I have tested both, the bike I tested intentionally and the cage I tested unintentionally.
    if you end up dead by being out braked by a larger vehicle, be sure to take your BHS handling skills manual to the pearly gates, with good debate with St Peter you may get a voucher back to Earth.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Coldrider View Post
    if you end up dead by being out braked by a larger vehicle, be sure to take your BHS handling skills manual to the pearly gates, with good debate with St Peter you may get a voucher back to Earth.
    Yeah, thanks for that Coldrider. I am guessing you didn't watch the video I attached and I guess you won't bother checking this link out either http://www.therideadvice.com/can-mot...ke-faster-car/

It is not like I said I would be able to out brake everything else on my bike. All I was trying to say is the laws of Physics are what they are and can't be broken. The mass difference is a huge advantage to the bike. I was more trying to encourage others to know their bike better and not believe the backwards Physics some of you seem to believe, as the likelihood of someone thinking they can't brake very fast is they won't be able to brake very fast. There is lots of things to take into account in regards to braking, but the main ones are mass and braking surface (as in tire surface on the ground), yes the bike looses out to the others when it comes to braking surface but wins on the others. But in saying all that most bikes can do a lot more than the rider can, as handling and rider ability comes into play and likely cancels all the above out anyway.

I am still going to follow all other vehicles at a safe distance (2 second rule) and not do anything stupid just because I know my bike can brake fast and well. I am far from stupid and am not going for a Darwin award anytime soon, maybe when I am really old and lost my marbles but by that stage it probably wouldn't be considered for a Darwin award.

So in short what I guess I am trying to say is, don't say you can't before you try and try before you have to do.

Bike
    Not a Hayabusa anymore
    Yeah, thanks for that Coldrider. I am guessing you didn't watch the video I attached and I guess you won't bother checking this link out either http://www.therideadvice.com/can-mot...ke-faster-car/

It is not like I said I would be able to out brake everything else on my bike. All I was trying to say is the laws of Physics are what they are and can't be broken. The mass difference is a huge advantage to the bike. I was more trying to encourage others to know their bike better and not believe the backwards Physics some of you seem to believe, as the likelihood of someone thinking they can't brake very fast is they won't be able to brake very fast. There is lots of things to take into account in regards to braking, but the main ones are mass and braking surface (as in tire surface on the ground), yes the bike looses out to the others when it comes to braking surface but wins on the others. But in saying all that most bikes can do a lot more than the rider can, as handling and rider ability comes into play and likely cancels all the above out anyway.

I am still going to follow all other vehicles at a safe distance (2 second rule) and not do anything stupid just because I know my bike can brake fast and well. I am far from stupid and am not going for a Darwin award anytime soon, maybe when I am really old and lost my marbles but by that stage it probably wouldn't be considered for a Darwin award.

So in short what I guess I am trying to say is, don't say you can't before you try and try before you have to do.
    2 words:

Contact Patch

1 more word:

Lowside

And a final statement - The increased Mass of a car serves to enhance the friction between the road and the tyre due to the weight transfer in braking.

There's a 5th gear vid showing a BMW 2 series outbraking an S1000RR (although the vid is a bit staged, he had the rear wheel in the air during braking)
    Physics; Thou art a cruel, heartless Bitch-of-a-Mistress

Bike
    R1200GSA
    not many riders or drivers know how to maximise the performance of their vehicle, be that going around the bendy bits or bringing things to a stop.
    So leaving aside what a particular vehicle is theoretically capable of, lets consider what is likely to happen. As a rule drivers and riders do not allow sufficient following distance between themselves and any vehicles in front of them. As a rule, drivers and riders do not observe what is happening sufficiently far ahead of themselves to be able to respond to significant changes in speed or position in a smooth and controlled manner. To illustrate what I am suggesting, think of any rush hour traffic scenario you have been in, how often have you seen a driver or rider having to suddenly jump on the picks because "the dickhead in front just stopped without any warning" and for their own part they come to a stop mere millimetres from the bumper of the vehicle in front? In most cases there has been the combination of too short a following distance and not enough forward observation. i.e. the scenario need not happen.
    So if this is going to happen in front of you, why not behind you? Your BHS instructor may well have been talking about the scenario where a rider does not pay enough attention to what is happening behind them. Its not a dumb assumption to work on the premise that the cager behind you will not be at a safe following distance and will not be observing what is going on more than 3 seconds ahead of them on the road, perhaps even as little as 1.5seconds. So if you "suddenly" come to a stop, they are not prepared to do so and drive up your arse. How to fix? If by your own constant observation traffic behind you is not maintaining a decent following distance and not looking ahead then you increase your own following distance so you can brake more slowly in the event of having to. Also by keeping the limits of your own forward observation well ahead (say 16 seconds) your own actions in response to that information will not be so "sudden" to following traffic.
    Life is not measured by how many breaths you take, but how many times you have your breath taken away

Bike
    my little pony

No I didn't watch the video nor read most of your rant. I have done advanced learning skills on the track and know how fast my bike will stop. That has no influence on other vehicles. If you have to emergency brake it is most likely you have failed in another skill first. No wonder the motorcycle fatality rate is climbing. Good luck with your learning.

Thread Information