Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Blind spots - or how not to follow a cage

Bike
    Honda PC800

Blind spots - or how not to follow a cage

Im cage bound at the moment and one thing I've noticed is a nasty habit of some bikers.
    They ride in one of the two big blind spots in a cage.
    These being in line with the two rear roof pillars. You literally dissapear from sight.
    Worth keeping in mind
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    Anything I can straddle
    Quote Originally Posted by FROSTY View Post
    Im cage bound at the moment and one thing I've noticed is a nasty habit of some bikers.
    These being in line with the two rear roof pillars. You literally dissapear from sight.
    Worth keeping in mind
    Good point to raise. i personally like to ride in such a position that I can see the cage drivers face in at least one of his mirrors. I figure that if I can see his face then in reverse he can see me and my blazing headlights.

Doesnt always work but in 35 years and a lot of kms riding i have only come into contact with 4 cars. Three of them werent my fault. one was and that was in my first week of riding and i hadnt built any skills then.
    "When you think of it,

Lifes a bowl of ....MERDE"

Bike
    Gixxer
    I make sure I can see the driver in their mirrors.
    Its not hard to do. And can save your ass.
    Motorcycing is not a hobby, It is a way of life!

Missed forever! NEVER FORGOTTEN!!
    LIVE ON MY FRIENDS!

Friends dont let friends ride Hyosungs

Bike
    bandit 1250 and 900 fire blade
    maybe this happens because most if not all newbies are advised to ride in the wheeltrack of the car that they are following? this could put them in line of the said pillar?

just thinking thats all...
    i wouldnt want to be caught dead in the same grave as me.

Bike
    various
    Blog Entries
    Worth keeping in mind
    Yep, thats why I overtake cages.

May the bridges I burn light the way.

Follow Vinny's MX racing on www.mxvinny.com

Bike
    2000 Honda CBR600F4, RG50/GL145 Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by canarlee View Post
    maybe this happens because most if not all newbies are advised to ride in the wheeltrack of the car that they are following? this could put them in line of the said pillar?
    You're spot on with that. I just checked it out and yep if you drop back behind the right wheel just about a 'safe' distance, you can't see the driver in their mirror.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    I just checked it out this AM--if you travel to left side of the right wheel track and the right side of the left wheel track you stay visible.
    Mr Merde has it--iffn you cant see their eyes they can't seey you
    Watch out for cages with fogged up back windows too--they can see half of sweet stuff all.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    XJR1220
    All good points.

Another one worth noting, particularly at this time of year, is that if the sun is coming in low from behind you then you are almost invisible to drivers in front of you.

Banzaiiiiiiiiii

Bike
    Cagiva Raptor 650, ZX-10R
    Yup, I'm ever only at a certain position relative to a car momentarily. Try to be moving in relation to other traffic as movement grabs attention.

Having said that, drivers *should* be checking our (I say 'our' because I sometimes drive too) blind spots before switching lanes.

Having having said that, they often don't and we need to allow for that or it's our skin!

Thanks for bringing it up frosty
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing." Edmund Burke

Bike
    GSXR 600
    Watch out for cages with fogged up back windows too--they can see half of sweet stuff all.
    Whenever I see a cage with fogged-up back & Side windows, I will immediately get away from it ASAP.

I believe firmly that mentally they are in a rush as they couldn't be arsed to clear the windows, so they will drive erratically.
    It speaks volumes about the driver. They are not arsed about anyone else's safety on the road.

Cage drivers are shit!
    Before I set off, I always check my tyres, chain, indicators, brake lights and Headlights. How many car drivers EVER do that?.... The bastards!!

Oh crap I am seriously close to turning into The Cage-Punisher!
    Smashing wing mirrors whilst shouting “Use It… Or Loose It ya bastards!!”
    I'm NOT Homophobic!! I am not afraid of my own house.

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Oh crap I am seriously close to turning into The Cage-Punisher!
    Smashing wing mirrors whilst shouting “Use It… Or Loose It ya bastards!!”
    THAT helps for the next biker who catches up with the now mirrorless car cruising down the motorway??
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    GSXR 600
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog View Post
    THAT helps for the next biker who catches up with the now mirrorless car cruising down the motorway
    There you go then!

A Win-Win Solution!
    I'm NOT Homophobic!! I am not afraid of my own house.

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    Whenever I see a cage with fogged-up back & Side windows, I will immediately get away from it ASAP.

I believe firmly that mentally they are in a rush as they couldn't be arsed to clear the windows, so they will drive erratically.
    That raises a good point: noticing things like this will go a long way to staying alive. As a motorcyclist, you need to be VERY observant and vigilant, and don't ignore instinct or those flashes of intuition.

A few years back, I came up behind a car with fogged up windows, tootling along slowly on a suburban street. My first reaction was, "He probably hasn't seen me..." and slowed down. I also thought, "I should tootle him melodiously, so he knows I'm here." But.... I didn't, and a second later he pulled into the kerb (or the curb or kurb or cerb), so I thought, "Oh.. OK, he HAS seen me!" and proceeded to overtake. Unfortunately, he had NOT seen me, and was just doing his "half asleep, usual dumb morning routine" of getting in his car, driving a few metres down the road, crack a U-turn.

So, after $6800 worht of damage to my bike, and a lot of pain for me, I learned to not make assumptions, to use the horn to ensure cars backing out or otherwise manouevring into my path know I'm there, and to pay attention to some of the voices in my head.

But not that one that tells me to kill people.

Nor that other squeaky one that says rude things about me.

But sometimes I listen to that one that whispers naughty things...
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    I have to confess I have never been caught by surprise by a bike while in the cage. Every motorcyclist who has split past me or overtaken me I have been aware of.

Even spotted superweetard this morning on his yellow peril and he was 2 lanes over. Mind you I've been 23 years on 2 wheels and only 5 years on 4 wheels. Maybe my observation skills are biased.

Good advice Frosty but the cagers should be looking. I know that they don't.

Mr Merde has it spot on -make sure you can see the whites of their eyes.

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by canarlee View Post
    That's good advice. Perhaps it does mean you're less visible but expecting any other road user to take action to avoid you is tantamount to a death wish. Bad enough if they can see you in front of them but relying on them to be aware of you behind them for your peace of mind is not a good idea.

The reason for lurking in the RH wheel tracks of a car is that when the bastard unexpectedly hits the picks he can stop a fair bit better than you can on your bike, it gives you a chance to dodge out past him while you're braking. Even if the obstacle he's trying to pull up for is an issue for you too it gives you at least the cars length extra braking room.

If the bastard happens to be driving an 18 wheeler I promise you he can stop quicker than pretty much anything else on the road. Truck or car if you think he's going to brake less hard because he's aware you're there behind him then think again. Just go ahead and assume you're invisible huh? safer all round.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Thread Information