Page 1 of 965 1231151101501 ... LastLast

Thread: Manawatu Rant n Rave

Bike
    GSXR750G Daytona 955 Tiger DR650 ZRX1200

Manawatu Rant n Rave

I've been thinking for the last week or two that it would be a good idea to have a thread devoted to rides in the Manawatu (and beyond). Seeing as there's such a good crew here and we manage to get out on some great rides on such a regular basis, it would be a good place to post up ride ideas, reports and pics.

That way no-one would miss out and everybody should feel free to post up if you feel like a ride

Edit: 11/1/09

After a few evolutions and the need for a general 'discussion' thread, let's use this one as a non ride forum.

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    oh well guess I better start then ..

tomorrow the couple from aucks are heading to martinborough so be prob leaving shannon around 10ish (update in morning)

talking heading over track or saddle & down to pahiatua then them favorite back roads to masterton .. at this point I will head back to mangamarie track & home

the aucks want to head out to castlecliff for a look see

more detail in morning & bit more of go with flow kinda ride
    Have to Karma ... Justice catches up eventually !!

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Had a great ride today in good weather: Palmy-Danniverke-Wimbledon-Waipuk-Waipawa, up middle road to Napier and then back Highway 50. Roads a bit dodgy from Weber to Wimbledon. Middle road a blast - don't have to tell you guys that. No cops, no rain!

http://banditrider.blogspot.com/2007/08/about-time.html

Blog Entries

Coming From Over the Rimutaka Hill - Monthly Event Ride

This spring/summer I would be keen to see a monthly ride with the Manawatu group. Eg meet Carterton for crew heading north and then onto the Manawatu ride meeting venue. Similarly every other intervening fortnight, Manawatu could meet up down say Masterton/Carterton for ride to Martinborough or back over the Rimutaka Hill and loop back.

Just putting it out there for some feedback.

Heads Up and Enjoy

Bike
    Good stuff guys We're bloody lucky to have so many great roads to choose from. I'm looking forward to the Fordell stretch now that the 'gravel' loop has been pioneered

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
    Had a great ride today in good weather: Palmy-Danniverke-Wimbledon-Waipuk-Waipawa, up middle road to Napier and then back Highway 50. Roads a bit dodgy from Weber to Wimbledon. Middle road a blast - don't have to tell you guys that. No cops, no rain!

http://banditrider.blogspot.com/2007/08/about-time.html
    great ride there bandit pretty much what we did last weekend .. but missed 50 & a nice peice of other road

Quote Originally Posted by BuckBuckNo1 View Post
    This spring/summer I would be keen to see a monthly ride with the Manawatu group. Eg meet Carterton for crew heading north and then onto the Manawatu ride meeting venue. Similarly every other intervening fortnight, Manawatu could meet up down say Masterton/Carterton for ride to Martinborough or back over the Rimutaka Hill and loop back.

Heads Up and Enjoy
    anything is possible .. will be planning a few rides this summer .. the last few weekends have been a blast .. really starting to enjoy this biking lark

could prob do month about buck some of us work the odd weekend as well

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    Quote Originally Posted by 86GSXR View Post
    Good stuff guys We're bloody lucky to have so many great roads to choose from. I'm looking forward to the Fordell stretch now that the 'gravel' loop has been pioneered
    & how many ks of gravel are we talking on this one ?? I am seeing a cunning plan in motion

Bike

Heads Up and Enjoy
    Great idea BuckBuck. I'd be keen to get out onto those Rapa Rd's. Martinborough, Gladstone, Castlepoint. There's some incredible rides out there and some mind blowing roads up Pongaroa, Weber way too if you're keen

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by chanceyy View Post
    & how many ks of gravel are we talking on this one ?? I am seeing a cunning plan in motion
    This one is guaranteed gravel free (just in case tho, have a quick chat to Cowboyz, stand on the pegs and gun it teehee).

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    Quote Originally Posted by 86GSXR View Post
    This one is guaranteed gravel free (just in case tho, have a quick chat to Cowboyz, stand on the pegs and gun it teehee).
    but wot other suprises might you spring upon unsuspecting victims

Cowboyz was way out in front so only seen the spray of stones as he took off .. not how he tackled them .. being first time thought slow & steady might be order of day .. & trying to stay to the tracks

Blog Entries

Thinking Caps On

I think we may be onto something let's see how things pan out leading into daylight saving.

One ride I have in mind is a dawn to dusk, with morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, [heck that sounds so old fashioned, but you all know what I mean] then say final eating evening meal. Somewhere between 400-600km ride - over the hill and up Manawatu and beyond [and/or] loop ciruit.

Heads Up and Enjoy

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    ok today's ride .. leaving shannon approx 10am - ish (depending if we can find faults with both Tina's & my bikes )

since they did the track coming to my place would like to flick over the saddle - therefore leaving my place, garage to gas up, Ashhurst, (met by the blue cafe if you want to come out riding)

over to woodville, Pahiatua, back roads to Alfredston, masterton, at this point I will gas up & head back up the line may go via mangamarie track home & the aucks are thinking of heading out to castlepoint for a look see if you feel like riding further ...

its not a planned ride as such so pretty much anything goes (may stop at windmills for a look see up close) etc .. but stops will not be for long

I will be checking back here til we are about to leave for any updates ..

cheers

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    I think we may be onto something let's see how things pan out leading into daylight saving.

One ride I have in mind is a dawn to dusk, with morning tea, lunch, afternoon tea, [heck that sounds so old fashioned, but you all know what I mean] then say final eating evening meal. Somewhere between 400-600km ride - over the hill and up Manawatu and beyond [and/or] loop ciruit.

Heads Up and Enjoy
    Thats a kewl idea, when the Taupo loop eventuates it could be a good way of treating it too.

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    I have'nt given up on the idea of a ride somewhere today but i'm gonna sit tight and see what happens with the weather over the next couple of hours and i'll check in here to get a feel for whats going on around the place weather and riding wise. It's looking unfriendly here at the moment but it's not raining as such. Things may improve over the next couple of hour maybe (fringers crossed).

Bike
    You'll be right Sarge. Here's the area forecast for Dannevagas which covers the Southern Wairarapa as well.

What you've got now is that low cloud which is forecast to clear soon. It'll be a good one!

Wish I was out riding instead of working

DANNEVIRKE ARFOR (DV):

ARFOR DV VALID 1700 TO 0200 UTC
    1000 18010
    3000 21015
    5000 22020 ZERO
    7000 22020 MS03
    10000 22020 MS09
    FZL 5000
    VIS 30KM
    CLD AREAS BKN CUSC 3000 TOPS 6000. AREAS BKN AS ABV 6000 CLEARING
    THIS MORNING.