Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Can any computer geek types help

Bike
    R6 & CRF sold, new bike is coming

Can any computer geek types help

Okay heres the deal, despite paying Zillonz of $$$$$$$$$$$ for my daughters education in all forms Taxes and hidden extra fees including wrougts so teachers can have bloody overseas hoildays(Oh sorry, I mean extended feild trips) I am now told that I need to buy some fuckin thing called Adoby photoshop ??, which is going to cost the equivalent of 4 back tyres for my R6,... ..

Do any of you guys have this overpriced computer thingy, that I can buy at a much reduced price, and therefore send my money to Jimmy where it should be going for a new back tyre ??

Firefight
    "Kiwi Biker, still a great place despite the mods "

"Would crawl over broken glass before owning Suzuki"

The only reason I only ride in the Iron man Class is I have no friends left to enter the two man events,
    my own fault really.

Bike
    A black one
    Is it PC or Mac?
    If it's Mac, I'll get you a copy free (and other stuff, too) so just PM me and I'll sort something out.
    If it's for PC, then I believe there are sites on the internet where you can download them for free, 'shareware' type things.
    Anyone else know an actual site he can check?
    Good luck!
    The world is my oxter

Bike
    niente
    How much was she quoted ???

The full-monty version of Photoshop retails at just over $1,200 but you can get the Academic version for about $520. There is no difference in content of the software they just offer the academic version to students/teachers.

There is also a Photoshop "elements" version which must be a reduced set of tools for academic price of $87. Not sure if she can get away with only that but it might pay to ask.
    Matt Thompson

Bike
    07 R1
    Does it have to be Adobe Photoshop or can she use something similar. I use PaintShop Pro myself and tis pretty good.

ching

Bike
    Kawasaki en 450 LTD
    check out trademe
    there's a few of them for sale here

http://www.trademe.co.nz/structure/l...&go.x=8&go.y=7

Bike
    N/a
    you wanna get yourself a dc++ or similar *cough cough*
    i hear its pretty low cost from there

Bike
    mutterbumpkin

If you don't get anywhere with the post above, PM me... may be able to help somehow...

Quote Originally Posted by manuboy
    If you don't get anywhere with the post above, PM me... may be able to help somehow...
    Same with me - if you dont win with a used package, let me know I should be able to procure it @wholesale prices, but yeah would need to know if its PC or Mac?

Bike
    Motor Cycle
    Tell me where to post a free *cough* demo *cough* version...I might have Photoshop version 7.0 on a gold coloured CD, or I might not, wink, wink...

Either that, or I could flog you one off a retail box at dealer buy = there are a lot of different sub-versions and licensing options though.
    The latest I understand is Photoshop CS 8.0 (win) which is $1039.50+GST

You would be much better off even paying retail on an Education/Academic version. Dealer is about $430+GST on EDU, but I can't sell it as I'm not an authorised education reseller.

If there are any teachers here that can send a purchase order on letterhead on FF's behalf, I might be able to wrangle it for him at EDU...

Bike
    Tyre Shredder
    I might have a "version" as well

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Yeah, don't even think about paying out that cash, Dave, I hear about 70% of Photoshop installations around the world are (ahem) 'shared demos'.

Still, this photography crap is all your fault. You could have encouraged her into a cheap and useful hobby. Like motorcycle spannering.

Just think, she could be out in the gargre right now accumulating NCEA credits on your dirtbikes.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    GSX-R600K3
    Does it have to be photoshop?? A similar quality product which is free is The GIMP (www.gimp.org) It can read and write photoshop files and is commerical grade quality. Or like others said you can go the "cheap way" which would cost you a blank cd or 2 maybe.

David
    Life is difficult because it is non-linear.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by dhunt
    Does it have to be photoshop?? A similar quality product which is free is The GIMP (www.gimp.org)
    Yeah, but a lot of her course will probably be "press this button, then that button..."

The GIMP isn't exactly user-friendly for 'puter numpties. For that matter, neither is Photoshop. She probably needs to be using the same thing as everyone else. A lack of homogeneity is to be strongly discouraged. Goodness knows, our education system might collapse if everyone just started using whatever tools they could lay their hands on.
    - mikey

Bike
    KTM Duke. Last ridden.....?
    Can she use 'the GIMP'? Does the same job, but it's freeware.
    Otherwise, shouldn't the school have a version she can use?

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by curious george
    Otherwise, shouldn't the school have a version she can use?
    Probably not.

These are the days of children being sent home because they don't turn up with their own laptop, you know.
    - mikey

Thread Information