Page 1 of 22 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Rotovegas ride

Bike
    Hornet

Rotovegas ride

Hey guys, Bomma and the other chiefs have given me the thumbs up to organise a coastal ride to Rotovegas. As mentioned in another thread, the plan would be to ride out to Clevedon, round the coast to Miranda, across the Hauraki Plains, through Pareoa, the Waihi Gorge, Tauranga, Whakatane and then inland to Vegas. It's about a 4-5 hour ride from Akl and reasonably technical i.e. heaps of corners but with some of the best NZ scenary and of course, the destination of Rotorua and all it offers!

This would have to be an overnighter. Fortunately I know a great campground / holiday park which rents log cabins for around $45 a night. These sleep 3 people in bunk beds. The park is just out of town near the golf course and has its own hotpools. You'd just need to bring your own sleeping bag, togs and beers (although I think you can hire blankets too).

I don't personally mind opening this ride up to all (fast riders and not so fast), as worse case - I just cruise down with the slower people. However, if some fast riders want to go and don't think they could handle riding slow, we'll have to try and suss out someone who is confident of the route to lead you guys at a quicker rate.

WHAT I NEED FOR NOW IS AN INDICATION ON WHO'S KEEN AND WHEN. Majority rules, so tell me what weekend you're free in this forum remembering that we would have to leave Sat morning and come back Sun (Friday after work / uni would be too late).

**********OK, this ride is now confirmed for 9am, Sat 22 September at UOA Gym Symonds St, returning Sunday afternoon.

You must PM me (macstar) to book and be prepared to pay a non-refundable accommodation fee (this is expected to be around $18).***********
    Last edited by Macstar; 10th September 2007 at 19:10. Reason: Date confirmed

Bike
    Hornet
    P.S. If it all goes well, this could be the first in a series of overnight rides that I'd be happy to partly run with the SMC club...

Bike
    Too many to count
    after final exams would be good; better weather and everyone will be free

dibs on the fast group, and perhaps we should/could send a van down with sleeping bags etc as sportbikes arent too good at carrying stuff like beer

then again, we could just buy beer there and courier sleeping bags down there ahead of us

Bike
    Nada
    Keep me posted as I could prolly get a crew together from down this way to meet up and guide ya through a slightly better route if you lot are keen.

Quote Originally Posted by motorbyclist View Post
    dibs on the fast group,...
    "Fast" is a relative term innit

Bike
    hornetalicious
    helll yeah im keen as!!..bt yea after exams wud be awesome as ehh...nth better than beer and motorcycles..!
    For those of you whose use the fast lane on motorways and only do a 100km/hr, can you pls use the middle lane, some of us like to ride at 105km/hr thank you very much.

Bike
    Phurball's Mountain Bike and CB900
    im in with a grin mac!!! but yea like every other student has mentioned not until after xams for very VERY obvioius reasons
    "Rock is dead" - Jim Morrison

Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel

Bike
    01' NZ Postie CT110
    Hey Issac I'd be really keen aye but I am gonna go on a dry spell (house renovations) for 4 weekends from next week onwards. I know, it'a farken long time but if you guys can do after my dry spell that'd be great. Haha... (like it is going to happen).

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT250R
    i might be keen

just an idea if you skip out clevedon-miranda route and just go the boring route to paeroa, that should cut down the time by and hour or so and then it could possibly be a day trip. reason to cut that part of the route out would be that its so close to auckland you can do that part anytime and its a bit of an overdone route for most people from auckland anyways.

Bike
    nope ... gone burger
    If you make it the 22/23 Sept - I was planning an overnighter to Turangi anyway, we are supposed to be meeting up with some Wellington Bikers too. That was going to be our Equinox Ride.

.... back in green and feeling great ....

Bike
    Hornet
    When are exams over? End of November isn't it? - Sheez, I don't remember my undergraduate being that intense...!

Bike
    S1000RR
    FUCK YEAHmaha!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in!
    But it depends on the date really... lol

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    2007 Yamaha R-Sixer
    Blog Entries
    yeah i think i could be persuaded to join such an activity!!

Bike
    2004 snow white, k1 beast
    22/23 sep. sounds like a good time. i hand in my report on the 21.
    il be keen if i finde time..
    Terrorist are people too.....

Bike
    Like Dani Pedrosa's RC211V now!
    My last exam finished 2 years ago . 22/23 Sept sounds good with me. Will be busy before that. Damn I need a packrack....bloody shop asking $170 for just the L-brackets.

If not I better find a lady to be a pillion so she can hold my sleeping bag. haha
    Don't just live to ride but ride to live.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT250R
    Quote Originally Posted by klyong82 View Post
    My last exam finished 2 years ago .

hahah same here

hm i might start looking for some soft panniers....

Thread Information