Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DIY sheepskin seat cover

Bike
    Hornet 900

DIY sheepskin seat cover

I am wondering if anybody has done their own seat cover.
    I called into a sheepskin warehouse and the guy there said he sold a skin (about $70) to a motorcyclist who did his own attaching to his seat.

So, are there any hints and tips out there?

Cheers

Bike
    ZR750 Kawasaki
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendog
    I am wondering if anybody has done their own seat cover.
    I called into a sheepskin warehouse and the guy there said he sold a skin (about $70) to a motorcyclist who did his own attaching to his seat.

So, are there any hints and tips out there?

Cheers
    I got a cover from a car.
    Cut it to shape,poked four holes in it an tied it on.
    $70 for sheep skin??,(Tell im' es dreamin')

Bike
    Sold
    I've made my own in the past by glueing velcro on the underside of a sheepskin and to the underside of the seat which worked fine and looked fairly neat with all the edges tucked up. On the Blackbird, I had a fitted one custom made by the shop shown below which is just north of Tokoroa. It was made with a high density fleece, has elastic edging and two elastic cross-straps. Cost just over $100 for the dual seat and is superbly made, It's black, but if you want me to try and take a digital photo of the construction, I'm happy to give it a go.

The owner of the shop is the ex-service manager for a bike shop in Hamilton and is very pro-biker. I think they run a mail order service too.

Lichfield Pottery & Sheepskins
    St Highway 1 Main Rd Lichfield Putaruru
    0-7-883 6898

I did the 1000 miler last year with it and whilst plenty of other things hurt, my bum wasn't one of them. . A dense sheepskin is great

Geoff

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Jackrat
    I got a cover from a car.
    Cut it to shape,poked four holes in it an tied it on.
    $70 for sheep skin??,(Tell im' es dreamin')
    Enjoyed "The Castle" too JR?

And yeah, for $70 I would expect to get the rest of the sheep too!!!
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

Bike
    Hornet 900
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog
    And yeah, for $70 I would expect to get the rest of the sheep too!!!
    Thought I would check this out, not sure where you get your sheep skins from, do you have a sheep out the back
    Here is a NZ site with some typical prices http://www.sheepskinz.co.nz/customer/home.php?cat=15

This is mainly for the boss on the back on long trips so it needs to be cumffy

He probally bought a cheap entire rug for $70 maybe a shop soiled one etc etc

Bike
    El Bandito Negro
    you can often get lambskin pieces for a few dollars... I get them from glendermids down here (glens leather as they are sometime's known)

get a decent glovemaker's needle (the ones with the blades at the end) and sew them together with some nice linen thread if you can find it, takes a bit of work but it is a good evening in frount of a TV...

well.. I haven't done a seat cover but I've made a few other things for people

Bike
    Triumph Daytona 650 in RED
    I stopped at the sheepskin place in Huntly, just north of the Shell/McD's lights and picked up a 2nd's fleece for $40. Chopped it in half, sewed a couple of bits of elastic to it, which slide nicely over the front of my seat without having to take it off (which is good, because I don't have a key-release seat, bloody Honda ). It's just big enough for the front seat, which is fine, since I hardly ever take a pillion.

And I've still got half a fleece to use when the 1st half finally falls to pieces like the last one does.

Hint: don't leave a wet fleece on the seat when you get home - the hide will rot.
    "Women & cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea." Robert A. Heinlein

"Do not meddle in the affairs of cats, for they are subtle and will piss on your computer." Bruce Graham

Bike
    Use a sheep-skin most of the time when touring, don't need any 'attachment' when you're riding but it's handy when you're parked up, - stops the wind from blowing it of your scoot into the car-park puddle.
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........

Bike
    Hornet 900
    Quote Originally Posted by Slim
    I stopped at the sheepskin place in Huntly, just north of the Shell/McD's lights and picked up a 2nd's fleece for $40. Chopped it in half, sewed a couple of bits of elastic to it, which slide nicely over the front of my seat without having to take it off (which is good, because I don't have a key-release seat, bloody Honda ). It's just big enough for the front seat, which is fine, since I hardly ever take a pillion.

And I've still got half a fleece to use when the 1st half finally falls to pieces like the last one does.

Hint: don't leave a wet fleece on the seat when you get home - the hide will rot.
    That sounds like a good idea. I have the same seat so the same problem. Might give this a go.
    Did you find it moved around much?

Bike
    Hornet 900
    Quote Originally Posted by scumdog
    Use a sheep-skin most of the time when touring, don't need any 'attachment' when you're riding but it's handy when you're parked up, - stops the wind from blowing it of your scoot into the car-park puddle.
    How does it not move around if it is not somehow attached?

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    I used to use one (it was a pretty orange colour & not sure where I found it), I just threw it over & put a bungee over the middle & it didn’t slide around, but the drag of having to take it off if it rained & find somewhere to stash it else when it does stop raining you are sitting in a wet yucky thing, so I never use it.

I just decided to harden up.

Grrr.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendog
    How does it not move around if it is not somehow attached?
    Maybe Harleys have a sheepskin friendly seat? I dunno why, but the sheepskin just sits there, I know a few others who use a sheepskin and none of them have to 'anchor' it. :spudwhat:

Maybe you need a doris like Mrs S.D. with "muscularrr sturrdy thiighs" (Fraser, in "Dads Army') to hold the sheepskin in place?

They are also handy in the tent, apart from the sleeping comfort you could also bungy it onto your mrs. back and pretend she's a sheep.....

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    I attached mine to the metal base of the Z1 seat with 4 domes. With it domed on you could still be a loony and climb off when hooning round corners without losing it. Velcro would be good too though.

I dont know how good this idea is but it worked for my carpet in my boot sliding round with my all mighty subwoofer on top of it

I found some of this plastic mat thing (like what some people have in ur showers) that was sticky. I think its used in kictions to hold the bowls to the bench when you are stiring them or something. When I picked it up it was a sorta "sticky" kinda texture

It worked well for my carpet in my boot
    Then I could get a Kb Tshirt, move to Timaru and become a full time crossdressing faggot

Thread Information