Thread: The Takas by Twilight.

Bike
    2008, GSR600K

The Takas by Twilight.

Wari where were you! :spudwhat: We were waried that Wari wasn’t anywari or wasn’t anymore!

Ok enough silliness! Onto Motorbike stuff!

Jazbug and I decided we both needed more cornering practice before our ride up to Tokaanu. So we settled on an after work ride up to the Rimutaka summit. What a gorgeous day! I was soooo excited!

When I finally managed to extricate myself from work I walked down and met Jazbug at one of the more popular Motorbike parking spot in Wellington – Mercer Street. We both mounted our mighty steel steeds, Jazbug simply by pushing a button and me by jumping on my kick-start like I was squashing a fearsome beastie.

The great thing about riding out of town, at about 6.45pm, is most of the traffic is gone. There was a bit of wind and we both got blown abut a little. Hang on tight! The clouds were looking very ominous and dark but not so bad toward the Rimutakas themselves. So after having stopped for petrol in Petone we headed off.

Up, up we went, only to get trapped in behind a fuel tanker with another huge truck behind us. I was sure they were in cahoots and we gonna try and squish these two riders with L plates the size of…well L plates actually. But Mr Petrol Tanker very kindly pulled over before Jazbug and I had to resort to a 1st gear ascent of the mighty Takas.

On the Takas themselves it wasn’t too windy at all and no traffic to bug us newbie riders into feeling stupid, slow or crapping ourselves as we swooped slowly, yet gracefully around the twisties.

By the time we reached the summit it was just starting to get dark. As I had been riding up I had really enjoyed the Twilight ride and remembered it’s my favourite time of the day. Maybe b/c it’s so peaceful and calm feeling and I could feel my spirit soar with the eagles and fly, fly! Be free little bike…run Forest run etc, etc.

Ok – where was I? Oh yeah! On the Rimutkas!

So we reached the summit and had a bit of a chat then hopped back on our trusty wee bikes and headed back down. By now it was dark, real dark! Help Mummy I’m scared! I’ve ridden a bit in the dark but riding with no street lights around was a little scary. Being on 250’s the lights aren’t that powerful so in some places I could hardly see the road ahead. However! Fret not for the fair maidens made it back to town with not a hair on their pretty wee heads out of place…well ok maybe the hair wasn’t looking so flash cos we’d have helmet hair! But we made it.

All with enough time to stop in at Expressoholic for a trim latte for me and a piece of white chocolate cheese cake (ooooooooooo ahhhhhhhhh ooooooooooo) and hot chocolate for Jazbug with Chocolate Silk (Chocolate Cheesecake I guess), I’ll let her add her own sounds for what she thought of her food & beverage.

So all and all a successful ride that taught us both a bit more about riding.

Thanks Jazbug and over to you for your version
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Good one, glad you had a great time.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    None any more
    If you want to do this again anytime after work over the summer, I'll probably be a starter. The ride to the top of the Paekak hill to watch the sun set over the Sounds is also a summer favourite. A burger on the way home sets off the ride nicely... (Choice of Wisconsin, BK and Makkers).
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Kawasaki en 450 LTD
    beautifully written eloquent prose CSL, Had me in hysterics actually. Wish I'd been there.
    I truly understand your sentiments. esp the "help Mummy it's dark" bit.

Bike
    2013 EX300SE
    Ah the joys of no children. I'm a bit jealous. Sounds like you guys had a great time.

I had a CB250RS when they were new, way, way back when. Mine was red, with a mini fairing, and if I remember electric start. Certainly a great little bike to build up a bit of experience on.

Bike
    xs400 -
    NIce worke there CSL ...

I umm ... I Gott lost ... umm ... yeah ... I firgott where the umm ... rimmertuckers were and headed west ...

GOtte home about 2am ...

SOrry about that ... soundes like you hadda goode time without me anyway ...
    THe hand's farster than the eye ... keepan eye onda feet .. .

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pwalo
    Ah the joys of no children. I'm a bit jealous. Sounds like you guys had a great time.

I had a CB250RS when they were new, way, way back when. Mine was red, with a mini fairing, and if I remember electric start. Certainly a great little bike to build up a bit of experience on.
    As far as I'm aware only the Black ones (Deluxe) models had electric start. Aren’t missing much, my old ex had one & it was bloody iffy if the electric start would catch. Ended up retrofitting a kickstarter from an old one.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    2004 Yamaha R1

Swooping

If youse were swooping youse were doing it right. Swooping is more important than speed.
    The more you know the less you need

Bike
    Sweet Fcuk All

Sounds like fun gals...

Glad to hear you had a good ride. I am with you in spirit.

Bike
    GSXR1000K5
    Anytime your up for hitting the hill (perfect piece of road me thinks for skills testing) after a hard day at the coal face i'm up for it....well done both of you for giving it a go.
    I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy

Bike
    A black one
    Cath has put the whole thing beautifully; sometimes I think there should be a KB book with things like this collected in it: not to mention Paul in NZ's scribings and all the poetry that's been mushrooming up of late!
    Anyhoo, the dial on my brain is dangerously close to empty, so suffice it to say it was a blast, and I personally learnt a thing or two in the process. 'Tis a pity the gorgeous weather of earlier didn't quite hold out, so we missed out on what would have been a fantastic sunset (if it hadn't been for those durned clouds). Could have done without kipping overnight in the toilets (mmmmmm looooove those loos) waiting for Wari, but we kept our spirits up by singing rousing songs. Just like in the war.
    I would like to say a special thank you to both Paul (for the handlebars etc) and McCool for the fork oil/brake fluid change etc; the difference this has made to the handling of the bike really became apparent last night.
    Top chaps! Medals all round!
    So; I'm up for it any time (as the actress said to the bishop) especially as the evenings lighten up. Let's keep in touch.
    Sorry, Stoney, if this is kind of salt in the wounds as it were: we missed ya, but there's plenty of summer evenings coming up, and perhaps we (I) won't hold you back quite as much in future, what with the extra practise...
    Fanxxxxx

PS Looking forward to Tokaanu! Looking forward to Tokaanu! Looking forward to Tokaanu! Looking forward to Tokaanu! Looking forward to Tokaanu! Aaaaaaahhhh... that's better...
    The world is my oxter

Bike
    Sweet Fcuk All

Hmmmmm

WHEN I return, you shant be seeing me setting any landspeed records, so no need to worry about going faster. Ride at whatever speed you feel comfortable, and I'll be just infront of you.

Bike
    2008, GSR600K
    Quote Originally Posted by jazbug5
    PS Looking forward to Tokaanu! Looking forward to Tokaanu! Looking forward to Tokaanu! Looking forward to Tokaanu! Looking forward to Tokaanu! Aaaaaaahhhh... that's better...
    Me too, me too, me too, me too, me too, me toooooooooooooooo!!!

Yes well anytime any of you lot are up for a ride up the Takas I am too.

Note to self: next time take own thermos b/c Wari is 'opeless!
    My goal in life is to be as good a person as my dog already thinks I am.

Bike
    Honda Jade 250 + CBR600RR
    Quote Originally Posted by Celtic_Sea_lily

Yes well anytime any of you lot are up for a ride up the Takas I am too.
    In second that!!! I might already have stuff on but if I don't I'm always keen for a blast up the hill.

Bike
    03 Ducati M800Si.e. 04 Ducati M1000Si.e.
    A great ride, and great write-ups.

We'd be up for a ride to Featherston/Mborough for a meal but not for the next few weeks (busy, busy, busy)

Jaz: I thought the Bishop would have said that to the actress??!!

Being frustrated is disagreeable.

But the real disasters in life begin when you get what you want.

Thread Information