Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Street races "old farts memories"

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by roadracingoldfart View Post
    Rob Holden went on to make that bike a giant killer. It was at Lyall Bay where he demonstrated the plastic fantastic if memory serves me rite .
    Not sure about the Duc I think the one Robert rode was a different frame to that earlier one.

Yep I posted those pics for you a while ago here http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=1464
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    ninja 250
    Didnt Robert ride the ex Bob Brown Ducati from Australia? The one Kevin Magee made his name on in his early days?

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Quote Originally Posted by gav View Post
    Didnt Robert ride the ex Bob Brown Ducati from Australia? The one Kevin Magee made his name on in his early days?
    Yep some of the time he did, but these others were Dallas Rankine's bikes.

Did you see my pic of Kevin at Gracefield back on this thread http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/showthread.php?t=1428 ?
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    F3 racebike, Ducatis
    Quote Originally Posted by roadracingoldfart View Post
    I remember a certain Kawasaki rider having to stop to refit his seat and then spend the rest of the race pulling giant weelies for the crowd at race speed.
    Dallas Rankin was shaking his head everytime that rider passed the pits.
    Does that ring any bells at all Glen????
    I wish I could say it did, - but you have in mind my namesake "Glen Williams" the 1st !
    (although I new Glen all those years ago, I was only really starting when he was in the later part of his career. We did finish first & second though on GPZ600's in the 2 Hour endurance race at Pukey though one year)
    Oddly enough we are both pretty handy Golfers as well - + also skinny Ginga dudes.
    Sorry for the confusion dude - might catch you at the next Vic round ?

Bike
    Other peoples weapons....
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I remember in '87 my first year swinging for Scrivy, We were at Wanganui.
    It started to rain lightly & Scrivy was so wired he didint notice the spits on his visor.
    We started passing other competitors that we had never passed before & Scrivy thought he was on fire, but i knew that we were simply in the shit.
    we got to the bridge & it locked the front wheel & we went straight ahead into what seemed like (from my position kneeling on a piece of ply 4 inches off the road) a fifty foot high wall of hay bales.
    We went straight through them & took out the TV crew, knocking one poor bastard out & smashing his teeth, & did a few injuries to ourselves & the machinery as well. Of course Scrivy is a lot more sensible these days.
    Bob, you're so full of shite!! It wasn't the rain that had us f@cked - it was the constant finger pointing from you to all the gorgeous woman in the crowd that took my attention away from the racing!! You try racing hard out when ya passenger is creaming himself from perving too much!! I guess that's when all your poon obsessions started??
    Is it still beastiality if ya fuck a frozen chicken??

Quote Originally Posted by scrivy View Post
    Bob, you're so full of shite!! It wasn't the rain that had us f@cked - it was the constant finger pointing from you to all the gorgeous woman in the crowd that took my attention away from the racing!! You try racing hard out when ya passenger is creaming himself from perving too much!! I guess that's when all your poon obsessions started??
    This version of the story I seem to believe... gotto know Bob to undertsand his errrr obsessions.

Bike
    Big ol' Hornet.
    Quote Originally Posted by scrivy View Post
    Bob, you're so full of shite!!
    Yup! You got that right.
    Do not handicap your children by making their lives easy.
    Heinlein

MotoTT Trackdays

Bike
    F3 racebike, Ducatis
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    I remember in '87 my first year swinging for Scrivy, We were at Wanganui.
    It started to rain lightly & Scrivy was so wired he didint notice the spits on his visor.
    We started passing other competitors that we had never passed before & Scrivy thought he was on fire, but i knew that we were simply in the shit.
    we got to the bridge & it locked the front wheel & we went straight ahead into what seemed like (from my position kneeling on a piece of ply 4 inches off the road) a fifty foot high wall of hay bales.
    We went straight through them & took out the TV crew, knocking one poor bastard out & smashing his teeth, & did a few injuries to ourselves & the machinery as well.
    Last time i saw the crash on TV was when a helicopter crashed in Milford sound while filming for the Holmes programme, killing one of the occupants, it was the same poor bastard we had smashed up at Wanganui & they showed highlights of his time with TVNZ.
    Of course Scrivy is a lot more sensible these days.
    Simialr story from the Gracefield circuit, Got a blinder start in the 600 proddy class on the trusty RZ350, after two laps confidence was high & my tail was up as I moved my way to the pointy end of the field. Unfortunatley it all ended whilst coming into the left hander (just before the bridge) when I remember thinking , "this is pretty cool" as i had just got underneath J McEwen whereupon I promply lost the front on one of Gracefields many potholes, discovering just how soft n squishy haybales are. Ended my day as the wheelbase on the RZ was slightly under factory spec after that one

Would like to hear from anyone who rode the Hamilton road cicuit (the one that went down to the lake & then back up over the hill. To say that it was a tad bumpy is a slight understatement........

Bike
    Other peoples weapons....
    Quote Originally Posted by Joni View Post
    This version of the story I seem to believe... gotto know Bob to undertsand his errrr obsessions.
    Joni - was that tongue licking deliberate?.......
    Is it still beastiality if ya fuck a frozen chicken??

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Yip,Did my first racemeeting at the old Porrirua Grand Prix,1971.
    That'd be the one. I had a Yamaha RT360 then, so they put me with the Tawa Bikies...

I couldn't have looked more different; they in their bikie gear, me in my pretty blue nylon jacket.
    At lunch, them with their warm beer and cold pies.
    Me, half a roast chicken with salad and small bottle of chilled dry white.

I had to endure jokes about ricies all day but some of it was quite clever :-)
    " Hey Trev why don't you race your Bonnie?"
    "Nah mate I might fall off and get gassed to death."

I seem to recall at one point there were some guys in white coats loading bikes in to a truck. Some thoughtful person asked a member fo the constabulary if indeed they were supposed to be doing that. Apparently not!
    Last edited by pritch; 14th September 2007 at 13:17. Reason: clarity?
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    one that goes
    Gracefield was a top day lived in Wainui-o-mata when they were runnning some mighty prangs and great production bike racing,many a rider almost ended up in Feltex carpet factory..Had a Matchless 500 single in those days only 15yr's trying to kick that bitch over..my how things have changed

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by codgyoleracer View Post

Would like to hear from anyone who rode the Hamilton road cicuit (the one that went down to the lake & then back up over the hill. To say that it was a tad bumpy is a slight understatement........
    I only went to one at Hamilton Glen, I was on a T350 Suzuki so it must have been early in 70 or 71 There was a big hump or bridge and at the bottom went to the right of a roundabout I think ? yeah lots of bumps but I was 20 then so they didn't matter much !!!!!!! A mate was riding one of Dickie Lawtons specials a 3 cyl 350 of some sort ? Gaz.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    I only went to one at Hamilton Glen, I was on a T350 Suzuki so it must have been early in 70 or 71 There was a big hump or bridge and at the bottom went to the right of a roundabout I think ? yeah lots of bumps but I was 20 then so they didn't matter much !!!!!!! A mate was riding one of Dickie Lawtons specials a 3 cyl 350 of some sort ? Gaz.
    Ah yes the old 380 Suzuki desleeved to 350 and watercooled,Was as quick as any TZ350 and Ginger Molloys Aermachi 350 and usually unbeatable with Dale Wylie on board,A real piece of Kiwi ingenuity like so many of Dickies specials.Last time I saw thay it was sitting out the back of Co-op Honda and belonged at the time to Geoff Sell

Bike
    bucket FZR/MB100
    Hammy lake, where they didn't remove the low poles from the edge of the lawn down by the lake and one of the Aussies tried to park his bike there but it all got a bit messy. The single hay bale for each pole didn't really help.

I was about 50 yards behind when that guy(Kerry Larkin?) crashed his McIntosh at Gracefield over the railway lines, what a farkup that was. We did two laps after that. I recall this German guy who rode a RGB500 at Gracefield as well. He was doing OK but was a bit cautious through the intersection to the Wainui turnoff by the Feltex factory. The track there is only a slight kink right and drops off a bit. He'd back off every time and I'd go past, leant over with the front about a foot in the air. I don't remember his exact comment later but it involved a lot of head shaking and arm waving.

Wanganui was fun, apart from the holdups. My bucket was the most fun there, trying to outbrake two or even three F3 bikes into "flower garden" after the esses. They'd hold me up through the esses and then drag me off to the corner. The only way to get them was either fire it under them as they tipped into the esses(dodgy as) or hang back a bit and keep it nailed through the esses and get a bit of a run on them at the exit and up the the garden.

Street circuits I've done - Manakau, Lyall Bay, Onekawa, Gracefield, Wanganui, Masterton, Hamilton Lake, Whangarei, and Whakatane and Foxton which were bucket only meetings. I suppose Ohakea bucket GPs count as well as they did go on streets round the base a bit and probably the Wigram GP for the same reason.

Bike
    ninja 250
    Heres Bill Biber on the BMW. No ones mentioned this track, part of the circuit used public roads. Any one know it?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	BILLBI~2_edited.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	37.6 KB 
ID:	70719  

Thread Information