Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Street races "old farts memories"

Bike
    XB12R, FXR150, Ducati 400ss, 1125CR
    last centry (1995)... yer , yer, i know it is NOT that long ago, BUT.. i remember my first time at a street race in greymouth... all the newbies were alowed out for a couple of sighting laps....

SIGHTING LAPS... yer right...

i managed to get around 2 corners and just started to think about slowing for the first left hander.......... when i was over taken by a beautifully restored cb350 twin, this thing was spotless, there was not a speck of dust!.........well that was before it was sliding along the ground... passing me... sparks, grinding foot pegs, the works... talk about give me a fright!...

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    I sold it
    Quote Originally Posted by speedpro View Post
    [ I recall this German guy who rode a RGB500 at Gracefield as well. He was doing OK but was a bit cautious through the intersection to the Wainui turnoff by the Feltex factory. The track there is only a slight kink right and drops off a bit. He'd back off every time and I'd go past, leant over with the front about a foot in the air. I don't remember his exact comment later but it involved a lot of head shaking and arm waving.

The german guy was on a RGB500 with the letter " K " and he shit himself at all the road circuits. I cant remember his name but have a few pics of him.
    The same year which i think was 84/85 Brut 33, Paul Iddon was there on a 2 stroke something and the Moriwaki team with 2 japanese riders , Yatsishira and someone else starting with an H and they had an awesome transporter truck with heaps of spares and from memory they used all of them up crashing in practice. The same meeting saw the debut of Jim Goodins rear engined Kwaka sidechair as well . Ahhhh the good old days are only alive because us old farts have a small amount of memory left.
    Cheers Paul.
    Last edited by roadracingoldfart; 15th September 2007 at 13:31. Reason: Additions

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gav View Post
    Heres Bill Biber on the BMW. No ones mentioned this track, part of the circuit used public roads. Any one know it?
    Looks like Golden Downs out the back of Nelson approaching the last corner.If it is they only ran it once maybe twice.Irode there in 88 was a wicked track til someone forgot to stop the traffic that appeared in the middle of the start finish straight during practice

Bike
    empty garage )-:
    Basically you are all a bunch of mad old buggers then...
    ok so I did Paeroa in '89.. want to do it again and Wangers too... but respect to all you multi street circuit, fellow older farts.
    "...New Zealanders, for all their faults, have virtues that are precious: an unwillingness to be intimidated by the new, the formidable, or class systems; trust in situations where there would otherwise be none; compassion for the underdog; a sense of responsibility for people in difficulty; not undertaking to do something without seeing it through - "
    Michael King

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    Heres Bill Biber on the BMW. No ones mentioned this track, part of the circuit used public roads. Any one know it?
    Is that bike a K100? At some stage of its life did it drop a rod and punch a large hole in the crankcases? And ultimately get written off whan it came off a trailer?
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    ninja 250
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Looks like Golden Downs out the back of Nelson approaching the last corner.If it is they only ran it once maybe twice.Irode there in 88 was a wicked track til someone forgot to stop the traffic that appeared in the middle of the start finish straight during practice
    Yes Golden Downs, only ran for one year, 1989. Carter Holt who owned it, were keen to spend money and develop it into a permanent circuit but was then sold to overseas company who sadly weren't. It sure did have potential. I was on organising committee and raced in Clubmens. Heres a couple more photos.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2007-09-15-2225-04_edited.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	552.6 KB 
ID:	70753   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2007-09-15-2230-41_edited.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	650.2 KB 
ID:	70754   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2007-09-15-2232-57_edited.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	599.1 KB 
ID:	70755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2007-09-15-2228-23_edited.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	577.3 KB 
ID:	70756  

Bike
    nun
    What an awesome thread....keep 'em comin, i'm enjoying the stories

:slap:

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Yes Golden Downs, only ran for one year, 1989. Carter Holt who owned it, were keen to spend money and develop it into a permanent circuit but was then sold to overseas company who sadly weren't. It sure did have potential. I was on organising committee and raced in Clubmens. Heres a couple more photos.
    89 was it.Memories a bit vague on the whole weekend really.Im surprised I even remembered it at all,Had a blast though,Rode Karel Pavichs TZR to 5th place in F2.Drank 66 500ml cans of DB at the after match they held in the hall afterwards with Neil Smith and his Mechanic Simon tyring to negotiate a deal on a new TZR for the next season (nobody could remember the outcome the next day)AWESOME meeting.Another one I havent seen mentioned is the Gumboot GP held at Taihape

Bike
    XB12R, FXR150, Ducati 400ss, 1125CR
    allthough i was not on the race committe , we did go out and help asses the site... magic!...hey gav do you know what the hell i was doing back then?

what a ride so far!!!!

Bike
    ninja 250
    There was also the street race they held around New Brighton here in Christchurch that a certain Joey Dunlop rode at!

Bike
    ninja 250
    Quote Originally Posted by ajturbo View Post
    allthough i was not on the race committe , we did go out and help asses the site... magic!...hey gav do you know what the hell i was doing back then?
    Probably same as now, fark all?
    Dunno, maybe painting?

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    Is that bike a K100? At some stage of its life did it drop a rod and punch a large hole in the crankcases? And ultimately get written off whan it came off a trailer?
    Dont know about that, But Bill became famous for doing a lap of Manfield wearing no more than his helmet during practice, at every Shell Two Wheeler they ran.

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    OK its just that a mate of mine bought a write off K100 some years ago and got it on the road again - it was a bit of a bitsa, but in its past life it had dropped a rod while racing. When we had the motor apart we could see where the holes in the cases had been welded (also where one of the rods had been put in wrong way round)

Just didn't think there were *that* many K100s on the track
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Dont know about that, But Bill became famous for doing a lap of Manfield wearing no more than his helmet during practice, at every Shell Two Wheeler they ran.
    Robert H doing the wheelies with Bill hanging off the back and an NZ flag , naked as, but for helmets and boots !!!!!!

Anyone remember the Levin Circuit and cabbage tree corner ? Gaz.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    Robert H doing the wheelies with Bill hanging off the back and an NZ flag , naked as, but for helmets and boots !!!!!!

Anyone remember the Levin Circuit and cabbage tree corner ? Gaz.
    Yip the lefthander at the end of Lakebend,Another neat track closed up because of noise and development.UP the short straight after cabbage tree to the righthand hairpin left at pitcorner and left again at castrol and back on to the start finish straight,Saw Dr rodg cartwheel his H2 exiting castrol so hard he lost his glasses.Those were the days

Thread Information