Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Street races "old farts memories"

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by ajturbo View Post
    yer.. like the time i lined up on my DT100... BETWEEN 2 750 waterbuses...AND beat them to the first 2 corners.....

(greaymouth street races 95)
    So this whole shameless thing isint new for you then?

Bike
    2006 Suzuki DR650 & FZR1000 race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by GaZBur View Post
    Next to last lap in the all in production race - sometime in the mid-late 70's. I though i was pretty hot while getting the 400 Kawasaki triple slightly airborne over the rail track on the main straight, until Graeme Crosby lapped me and I swear his handlebar went over my head. Fair put the bloody willies up me he did.
    Lets hope the new Dunedin circuit goes ahead in May 2008 as planned, good luck you guys.
    No pics of Croz but found a couple of pics of me from that day, the Kawasaki really didn't like the bumps of that circuit. 410 production class it was in those days, which meant 2 Kawasakis against aout 30 Yamahas.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WharfCircuit1.JPG 
Views:	71 
Size:	91.8 KB 
ID:	72594   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WharfCircuit2.JPG 
Views:	88 
Size:	91.0 KB 
ID:	72595  

Bike
    A dirty black one.
    Lovin this thread guys, just spent most of the morning so far reading it. It's a damn shame that theres so few street races now. I remember watching the Wellington street races back in the early 90s I think, was only a kid. What an awesome thing to see. Went to Paeroa for the first time this year, god those guys fly along the straights.
    Keep the storys coming.
    "I came into this game for the action, the excitement... go anywhere, travel light,... get in, get out,... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form."

Paved roads are just another example of wasted tax payer dollars.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    If I remember correctly there was only one reasonable guy on a 400 triple in 410 and he came from Palmy I think ? But you are right, I have seen fields of 43 RD's Gaz.

ps. anyone remember Dave Hissy winning 33 starts in a row ? Then finishing it off by beating Randy Jannola in a head to head at Ruapuna ? ( and he was wonderfully modest in his whole approach too! ) Gaz.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    2006 Suzuki DR650 & FZR1000 race bike
    Quote Originally Posted by roogazza View Post
    If I remember correctly there was only one reasonable guy on a 400 triple in 410 and he came from Palmy I think ? But you are right, I have seen fields of 43 RD's Gaz.
    ... Gaz.
    Well i sure wasn't me doing well. I only ever got to mid field on that Kawasaki as it was a real bastard!!! I could never get the thing to run right - it was so tempremental and the way it cycled oil from the cylinders meant you ran a different heat range plug in each cylinder. If it ran right it would beat the Yamahas in a straight line, but most tracks have bumps and corners and my Kawasaki triple didnt like either of them.

Bike
    F3 racebike, Ducatis
    ps. anyone remember Dave Hissy winning 33 starts in a row ? Then finishing it off by beating Randy Jannola in a head to head at Ruapuna ? ( and he was wonderfully modest in his whole approach too! ) Gaz.[/QUOTE]

Dave H, - Ever the gentleman

Bike
    PopTart Katoona
    Blog Entries
    i remember sitting on the back of a shiny newish XS850 triple blasting through the gorge to my first Paeroa.
    Chasing some dude on a brand new 1100 kat and another guy on a Z900.
    Every piece of land round the track looked like the pits.
    Some dude wiped out on the last half of the back straight and slid a good 200m into the hay bales....only to have his 750 tiger follow him soon after.
    Reactor Online. Sensors Online. Weapons Online. All Systems Nominal.

Bike
    4 strokes is two too many....
    Quote Originally Posted by codgyoleracer View Post
    Heres the list so far of street circuits no longer used - but fondly remembered

Manukau
    Gisborne
    Lyall Bay
    Gracefield
    Hamilton
    Onekawa
    Hawksbury
    Whangarei
    Auckland downtown
    Paritutu
    Avondale streets
    Porirua
    Tikorangi
    Bell Block
    Masterton
    Golden Downs Nelson
    Taihape
    Sydenham
    +++++ ???

There is also a bunch of bucket meets that partially or fully use street circuits - should these be included ????, - Let me know your thoughts
    Manukau City - Dec 1980 - only ran once too - badly hurt a few people at the chicane where it crossed through a median strip on Wiri Station road.

Whangarei was quite fun on a 125. the trip home was even better....

Taihape...

Quote Originally Posted by Billy View Post
    Another one I havent seen mentioned is the Gumboot GP held at Taihape
    Ahhh, yep, yep, yep. That was a fun wee circuit. Got to race the McIntosh there - problem was, I broke the gear linkage rod getting the bike off the trailer, and the only fix was to run with a reverse pattern shift. OK if you're used to it - but trying to learn/remember in the middle of racing was kind of exciting. I recall Robert Holden coming up to me after one of the races, saying I was "going well, but what happened on the straight over the back? The McIntosh suddenly leaped sideways and got all twisted up?" - I had to admit to changing gear the wrong way - didn't like it when it was tapped in third, went for fourth, and got second!
    Also remember Andy Kippen looking a little tatty at the end of the day - he'd flipped his outfit, and got stuck underneath it all. Trouble was, he was running it on Methanol - and it was burning. Andy reckoned he never knew he could lift a sidecar on his own - from underneath! Luckily, he got away with just some singed hairy bits...
    UKMC #64

Bike
    motocompo
    Quote Originally Posted by steveb64 View Post
    Ahhh, yep, yep, yep. That was a fun wee circuit. Got to race the McIntosh there - problem was, I broke the gear linkage rod getting the bike off the trailer, and the only fix was to run with a reverse pattern shift. OK if you're used to it - but trying to learn/remember in the middle of racing was kind of exciting. I recall Robert Holden coming up to me after one of the races, saying I was "going well, but what happened on the straight over the back? The McIntosh suddenly leaped sideways and got all twisted up?" - I had to admit to changing gear the wrong way - didn't like it when it was tapped in third, went for fourth, and got second!
    Also remember Andy Kippen looking a little tatty at the end of the day - he'd flipped his outfit, and got stuck underneath it all. Trouble was, he was running it on Methanol - and it was burning. Andy reckoned he never knew he could lift a sidecar on his own - from underneath! Luckily, he got away with just some singed hairy bits...
    That was a massive weekend. I remember the party in Andy's room in the Royal Hotel better than the racing.
    We stripped the stereo out of the van, complete with the van battery & re assembled it in the room, (yup, you were there Stevo, wether you remember it or not) It was pretty full on, & the following day we (sidecar guys) went to Vince Steur's place in Bulls for another session. Ahh, Great times!!!

Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    That was a massive weekend. I remember the party in Andy's room in the Royal Hotel better than the racing.
    We stripped the stereo out of the van, complete with the van battery & re assembled it in the room, (yup, you were there Stevo, wether you remember it or not) It was pretty full on, & the following day we (sidecar guys) went to Vince Steur's place in Bulls for another session. Ahh, Great times!!!
    Ohhhh yes. I remember. Blurrily. Also remember another night at Vinces, after the final Nationals round at Manfield - and Vince and Dave had won the championship... and had a party... Recall things like large chunks of meat going directly from freezer to barbecue, Robbie Dean trying to drive off, and his ute falling in the ditch instead, and other activities which I think it's MUCH better to NOT put in print...
    UKMC #64

Bike
    motocompo
    Ohhhh yes. I remember. Blurrily. Also remember another night at Vinces, after the final Nationals round at Manfield - and Vince and Dave had won the championship... and had a party... Recall things like large chunks of meat going directly from freezer to barbecue, Robbie Dean trying to drive off, and his ute falling in the ditch instead, and other activities which I think it's MUCH better to NOT put in print...
    I remember that one at Vinces too, Yes i agree, much of that would be too sensitive to print.
    Probably the most out of control party i ever attended.

Bike
    I sold it
    hell...................... out of control parties were awesome (when i was younger) and the best one was the party i attended in the Hutt Valley.
    This guy told me after a round at Gracefield to go back to his house and dig in to the BBQ and shit , I had know him for a while but never had been to his house. He gave me the address and off we went. Far out , a rich bugger he was by the look of it , a pool and tennis courts and shit, big inbuilt BBQ and tons of food in the fridge but the beer was just on the shelf so we put that in the freezer to chill, bad organising huh.
    Well after about 4 hours this guy comes and finds us and blow me down , wrong house lol. We were meant to be at number 22 A and we were at number 22 . Quickly all over the fence and carried on with the party at the real venue but it was a real hoot when the owners of number 22 came home.
    It kept a dozen cops busy half the night trying to get to the bottom of it .
    From what we were told the beers in the freezer started to blow up just before dawn. And remember they were always the big bottles ( DB ) in those days and we must have put at least 3 crates in the big freezer in the washhouse.

Ahhh those were the days. Out of control parties are under rated.

Bike
    motocompo
    Steve mate, i found a great photo of your Macintosh & my GSXR1100 in a makeshift awning off the side of my old Morris J4 van at Wanganui. Im thinking it must be 1988.

Quote Originally Posted by sidecar bob View Post
    Steve mate, i found a great photo of your Macintosh & my GSXR1100 in a makeshift awning off the side of my old Morris J4 van at Wanganui. Im thinking it must be 1988.
    Errrr you're asking ME what year it was???? But yeah - the mists of - time, we'll call it - clear, and that sounds about right... Actually, wasn't it the same year you guys took out the TV camera?

Don't suppose you can scan the photo and email it to me?
    UKMC #64

Thread Information