Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Suzuki RF900R alternator coupling repair

Bike
    Katana 750, VOR 450 Enduro
    Blog Entries

Suzuki RF900R alternator coupling repair

The Suzuki RF900R was available in 4 model years: 1994 (RF900RR), 1995 (RF900RS), 1996 (RF900RT), and 1997 (RF900RV). Careful reading of either the factory service manual or the parts microfiche reveals that the design of the coupling between the engine and the alternator underwent a subtle change between the 1995 and 1996 model years. In the 1994 and 1995 years, the coupling was similar to that used on Suzuki GSX-R models of the time, a female splined receptacle built into the end of the starter-clutch shaft near a bearing held in place by a circlip. The male spline of the alternator simply mated directly with its female counterpart at the end of the starter-clutch shaft.

Suzuki Design Flaw #1: Due to the vicious tortional forces inherent to the direct coupling configuration, the 1994/5 RF900RR/S models, as well as several Suzuki GSX-R motorcycle models, would occasionally have their starter-clutch shafts break (shear). Since the shaft sits atop the transmission gearing, the mess that such a failure causes is potentially severe and expensive.

Suzuki Design Flaw #2: In an effort to remedy Design Flaw #1, a new coupling was introduced for the 1996/7 RF900RT/V models. The shaft design changed, the bearing design changed, no circlip was used, and, press fitted to the end of the shaft, a new hub was introduced into which was pressed a special generator damper with an interior female spline receptacle. Separating the inner metal splined piece of the damper from the outer metal piece is a mysterious section of black, rubber-like material. The purpose of this black damping material appears to be twofold: (a) it absorbs rotational accelerations, presumably to protect the shaft from failing à la Design Flaw #1; and (b) it acts as a weak point so that, when a failure must occur, it will occur in the damper, presumably a less expensive failure mode. In reading various accounts from many RF owners, the failure of the rubber coupling in the RF900RT/V models is far more prevalent than the more catastrophic consequence of Design Flaw #1.

Design Flaw #2 is undoubtedly the Achilles heel of all RF900RT/V motorcycles. It manifests itself typically before the bike has travelled 10,000 miles, sooner in some and later in others, depending on riding style. In cases where the failure occurs before or soon after the warranty period is over, some owners have not had to pay for the repair themselves. Others have been told by Suzuki representatives that the problem is only caused by aggressive riding; i.e., it is the rider's fault and not a Suzuki design issue!

Note: Several people on the various RF and Suzuki mailing lists have complained about a lack of information on the rubber damper/coupler in the RV and RT models in the Suzuki factory service manual. Some information does, however, exist. On pages 11-13, 11-14, and 11-15, there is specific service information on the RF900RT (1996) model's starter clutch. Given the way these manuals are written, this information naturally applies to the RF900RV (1997) model also.

If you're interested in seeing how the different parts look across the various model years, look here (first page) and here (second page) to view scans of two of the relevant microfiche slides.

Perhaps an implicit acknowledgment by Suzuki that Design Flaw #2 is really a flaw is that two of the relevant part numbers that need to be replaced due to Flaw #2 have been updated (see parts list below). Note, though, that some RF owners have reported a recurrence of the effect of Flaw #2 even after the parts have been replaced. It isn't clear, however, whether the replaced parts in those instances had updated part numbers. Also, some owners have experienced sloppy repair jobs by their mechanics, situations that could of course contribute to recurrences.

What follows isn't a How-To on this repair. This thread is simply a collection of facts, photos, and impressions intended to assist fellow RF owners in dealing with an unfortunate issue afflicting an otherwise superb piece of engineering. (Note that some owners also deem the "RF second gear problem" to be a design flaw. While it appears to occur less frequently than the alternator coupling weakness, it is another sore point in RF history.)

Parts List:
    09262-25116: starter-clutch shaft bearing (alternator drive end)
    22736-46E01: generator drive hub (updated from 22736-46E00)
    22740-46E02: generator coupling (updated from 22740-46E01)
    31156-17E00: alternator o-ring

Pics:

1. View looking down on the engine after the rear cowling, the fuel tank, the left fairing pieces, and the air box have been removed. Note that the carburetors have been separated from the engine, but the throttle and choke cables were left completely intact. Only the idle adjust screw had to be removed from its mount on the frame. Note that several breather hoses needed to be removed, and the main fuel line from the fuel pump needed to be unhooked from the fuel supply manifold on the aft side of the carb array. Also in this photo, note that the starter motor has been left in place, while the alternator was removed and placed on the frame cross-piece behind the engine (on the right of the photo). Finally, the starter-clutch cover has been removed, as well as the starter-clutch drive assembly. The little starter idle gear and its shaft, situated on the left side of the cavity under where the starter-clutch cover sits, were left in place during the work.

Important: The starter idle gear shaft has a circlip on it with two loose washers on either side. Ensure that these washers do not come off the shaft and drop down into the transmission! That would really suck.

2. An out-of-focus view of the drive end of the alternator. Note the need to clean little black pieces of rubber debris out from near the seal and under the drive splines.

3. The starter-clutch cover after removal from the engine and with most of the old liquid gasket material already removed. Note the nice little oil channel leading from the oil journal bolt hole in the top right corner to the shaft indentation at the top of the picture.

4. Holding the inner splined piece of the old damper/coupling.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RF-alt3.jpg 
Views:	363 
Size:	148.6 KB 
ID:	70706   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RF-alt4.jpg 
Views:	386 
Size:	83.8 KB 
ID:	70707   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RF-alt5.jpg 
Views:	312 
Size:	82.5 KB 
ID:	70708   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RF-alt6.jpg 
Views:	332 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	70709  
    Last edited by riffer; 15th September 2007 at 21:35. Reason: tidied it up a bit for easier reading
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

- James Dickey, Cherrylog Road.

Bike
    Blog Entries
    More pics:

1. Both the inner and outer pieces of the old damper/coupling are pictured side by side; note the tortured interstitial rubber compound -- an Achilles heel indeed! An old pair of workshop eyeglasses are in the photo simply to set some kind of length scale.

2, 3. Shots of the starter-clutch shaft with the new parts already installed. (In photo 2, you can again see the damaged old inner spline in the foreground.) In the photo 3, the various bolts and gaskets used on the starter-clutch housing are seen where they were punched through a piece of cardboard, just to keep them in order.

Important: It's crucial that the old bearing and damper hub be removed using a bearing puller or hydraulic press. The new damper, hub, and bearing also need to be installed using a press to make sure that they sit squarely on the starter-clutch shaft.

4, 5. Shots of the starter-clutch shaft back in its place, with freshly installed parts and the bearing primed with new motor oil. Soon after these snaps were taken, 3-bond liquid gasket was applied to the housing cover and torqued back on to the engine at the service manual's torque specifications.

Again, click here (first page) and here (second page) to view scans of two of the relevant microfiche pages.

Name:	RF-alt7.jpg 
Views:	355 
Size:	80.3 KB 
ID:	70710   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RF-alt8.jpg 
Views:	325 
Size:	65.3 KB 
ID:	70711   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RF-alt9.jpg 
Views:	335 
Size:	72.6 KB 
ID:	70712   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RF-alt10.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	135.2 KB 
ID:	70713   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	RF-alt11.jpg 
Views:	321 
Size:	98.2 KB 
ID:	70714  
    Last edited by riffer; 15th September 2007 at 21:36. Reason: tidied it up for easier reading
    And I to my motorcycle parked like the soul of the junkyard. Restored, a bicycle fleshed with power, and tore off. Up Highway 106 continually drunk on the wind in my mouth. Wringing the handlebar for speed, wild to be wreckage forever.

Bike
    Blog Entries

Credit must be given

for the kind permission of Andreas Warby in allowing KB to repost this information here.

You can find the original of this thread at this website.

Thanks Andreas.

Bike
    k6 750 :)
    cheers dude. thought i'd read all that somewhere..
    you having trouble with yours?
    i'm keeping my fingers crossed!!
    "Fit a front tyre you love, and put something round & black on the back"
    Il Dottore

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Not at all John. It's an RS, so has the original coupler.

However, its good to have the info here in case anyone needs it, and Andreas has some great info here.

Bike
    2002 KTM 640 SM
    Hi

Excellent write up.
    I remember when I worked at a Suzuki shop people would want to get the coupling parts for these bikes - I never knew the full extent of the dramas though.
    I take it although Yamaha use a very similar alternator on the FZR1000's and Thunderace the coupling is different?

Are the alternators 28amp?

Cheers

Bike
    96 suzuki rf600rt
    Does anyone know of an easy way to pull out the outter part of the shreaded coupling from i guess it's the bearing? Id rather no take apart the entire starter-clutch shaft if i dont have to.

Bike
    Suzuki RF900 RV
    Hi. A bit late I know, but I found this topic while searching for details for a mate.

When my coupling failed (100 miles from home, God the RF is heavy to push ) I stripped the alternator off and took it home to fix.

To remove the outer shell of the original coupling I used a Dremmel to carefully grind through it and then lever it out.

Name:	FIL3942.JPG 
Views:	291 
Size:	92.0 KB 
ID:	94331  

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Hey dude and welcome to KB. I recognise the name from visordown (I'm celticno6 over there).

I recall that your RF has a great Renthal bar conversion. Very tasty.

Enjoy your stay.

Simon

Bike
    Suzuki RF900 RV
    Thanks riffer

Yep, I'm kind of stuck on my old RF. A corbin seat, straight bars and flip-up screen in defference to my ageing bones make it a super comfortable mile-eater, only have to stop for nicotine and bladder breaks

Bike
    1997 Suzuki RF900R
    If you have this problem, which piece do you need to buy?

My hubby has a 97 RF900R and needs the 'generator damper'. He is curious which part he has to buy that has that black little rubbery piece. Anybody know?

Or does someone know if there is some other way to fix this bad boy? He mentioned asking about a type of glue ...I haven't a clue.

Thanks.

Bike
    Suzuki RF900 RV
    Part number 40 - I've added the Suzuki part number. As in the previous reply, you'll need to carefully grind the existing outer shell of the coupling from the hub # 39

Name:	Untitled.jpg 
Views:	223 
Size:	31.1 KB 
ID:	95068  

Bike
    Suzuki RF9000r, 1996, Canada

Some more pics of the alternator repair

Quote Originally Posted by fastfitter View Post
    Hi. A bit late I know, but I found this topic while searching for details for a mate.

When my coupling failed (100 miles from home, God the RF is heavy to push ) I stripped the alternator off and took it home to fix.

To remove the outer shell of the original coupling I used a Dremmel to carefully grind through it and then lever it out.
    The coupler crashed on my rf after 18 years and 14 000 miles.
    Thanks to the great descriptions here in the forum, the repair is straight forward and relatively easy to realize-
    Here are some more pictures:
    https://plus.google.com/photos/10073...31429057?hl=de

Bike
    1997 Rf900R, 2006 GS500F

coupling problem

I just got a 1997 RF900R with 7600 miles. i have this coupling problem. I replaced the coupling and the new one went bad is there a permanent fix? Please HELP A fello out

Bike
    1993 Yamaha FJ 1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by LimaRF9R View Post
    I just got a 1997 RF900R with 7600 miles. i have this coupling problem. I replaced the coupling and the new one went bad is there a permanent fix? Please HELP A fello out
    Buy Yamaha ...
    When life throws you a curve ... Lean into it ...

Thread Information