Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laws on Pocket Bikes?

Bike
    none

Question Laws on Pocket Bikes?

Hi, I am looking at buying a pocket bike, but I am wanting to know what laws are in place. Am I allowed to ride it on the road, and if so, what will I need etc??

Thanks,

Bike
    Gone
    Nope you cannot ride it on the road.

You might be able to register it etc... but I'm pretty sure you're not allowed to ride it on the road.

Bike
    Polini 910, GP3 Ducati
    It can be regoed as a moped but then any one can rego anything as a moped the problem riases it's head if and when you get pulled over by a cop.... no lights no horn engine that produces more then 2kw of power... the cop will offer you a heafty fine for rego-ing a vehicle that dosnt meet the class requierments. Take it to the track and race it where do ya live I maybe able to hook you up with a contact for racing in your area.

Bike
    none

Smile .

So would I be able to get away with riding on the foorpath if I needed to go to the dairy??

Bike
    Polini 910, GP3 Ducati
    Nope any vehicle with a motor can not be opprated on the foot path... on that note your not even ment to have a push bike on the foot path. .. Fair Go did a story on this subject a little while back.. firts cop told the guy not to ride the pocket bike on the path and the second cop gave the guy a ticket for riding a unregoed vehicle on the road... went something like that.... Take it to the track mate that's what they are made for

Bike
    none

Smile Hi Gadgit

I live in the Hawkes Bay area, but in Havelock North (Hastings) . I was thinking more jst for fun, and maybe something to drive down to the dairy in, but I suppose it could be fun fun getting into racing!

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Gadgit View Post
    Nope any vehicle with a motor can not be opprated on the foot path... on that note your not even ment to have a push bike on the foot path. .. Fair Go did a story on this subject a little while back.. firts cop told the guy not to ride the pocket bike on the path and the second cop gave the guy a ticket for riding a unregoed vehicle on the road... went something like that.... Take it to the track mate that's what they are made for

i think only posties and newspaper/flyer deliverers can get away with this [riding pushie/scooter on footpath]
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    Polini 910, GP3 Ducati
    Hay your in luck.. The national pocket bike club just had a full weekends racing at the Fern Hill kart track two weeks ago and there is now monthly race meets there.. I'll serch up the contact for you or keep an eye out here www.nzmmrc.co.nz for race dates.

Bike
    Polini 910, GP3 Ducati

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by sunhuntin View Post
    i think only posties and newspaper/flyer deliverers can get away with this [riding pushie/scooter on footpath]
    Good point there sunhuntin... maybe 747 could invest in a posty uniform for when he want's to shoot down to the dairy lol

Bike
    none

lol, thats a thought!!!

Is there anywhere I can practise first before I go out and do races, or do I just find an abandoned street? Thanks for all your help, I might start getting into Pocket bike racing!!!! :P

Bike
    Gone
    Find a empty carpark

Bike
    none

Smile Awesome!! Thanks for all yor help, it is much appreciated!

I just have to go out and buy a bike now, I have seen some pretty good deals on TradeMe, there is one for $199, so might be the deal I have been looking for!! I will get some practise in then go out and do some racing! Thanks

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by boeing747 View Post
    I just have to go out and buy a bike now, I have seen some pretty good deals on TradeMe, there is one for $199, so might be the deal I have been looking for!! I will get some practise in then go out and do some racing! Thanks
    $199...that will be top quality

Bike
    FZR250/CB100Bucket
    $199...that will be top quality

Dont knock a $199 pocketbike for a first time rider.

Please take Gadgits advice and only ride it on the track.
    It is way more fun!

First + best advice we had, was to find a quiet carpark, run the bike in by doing circles for a couple of hours. Then progress to figure eights and a bit faster. Then get down to the track.
    Try not too crash at the first meet.

Gadgits pretty good at crashing, aye Gadgit!
    Granma

Motorbike racing...thrills, spills and heaps of fun.

Bike
    none

Thumbs up Lol, thanks for the advice!!!!

We have a carpack I can practise on down the road, now I jst have to go and buy a bike!!! I think a $199 bike will be good for the meantime until I gather up a few more $$$$ to buy a quality one! Thanks,

Thread Information