Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Capital 1000K Cruise

Bike
    Yamaha 1989 TDR250, KTM 950
    I'm keen, was planning a 1000km ride this summer anyway so this'll be good
    The real mystery is how come that fat bastard Hurley has never lost any weight.

Bike
    1990 Honda NC30
    Quote Originally Posted by koba View Post
    Sounds like a great idea!

One quick warning tho, the guy at Pongaroa petrol station is not always open on weekends and only has 91.
    For most bikes its not a problem because that whole leg without that stop is only 259km but we had a shitty experiance with my mates honda X4 (1300) that has to be babied to do 120km on a tank!

A Small extra gas comtainer could be a good idea for those of you with gas guzzlers out there...

Go the GSX250 with its 400km range!
    My reserve comes on around 200km, so I might buy a bottle of octane booster and bring that along... (They sell that in New Zealand, right?)

Just noticed you said not open on weekends... Maybe will see how far I can get it to go...

Bike
    Several
    Can get it but its 15 bucks a bottle and im sure its just toluene that you can get much cheaper without the fancy package.

Im sure it wont add faff all to the range of your bike anyway.

The guy may or may not be open on weekends, just depends on your luck and if he has somthing to do. If he is closed but still home he will prob open up if someone is in need but if hes gone away for the weekend you will be fucked if you dont have extra gas.

maybe someone in the area can find his number in the phone book and ring and see if he is gonna be home?
    Last edited by koba; 1st October 2007 at 14:32. Reason: Can - cant mixup, damn im stupid
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Grub View Post
    But but but .... what about breakfast, an Americano at each stop, sightseeing, posing for the crowds, interviews, pressing the flesh, photo opportunities, kissing babies?
    It's a ride Grub, not an election!!

Hmmm, I hope you're right. I've just spoken to one of the guys here at work who has done the Grand Challenge (1,0004 times now. He says that their average last year was 80kmh and to do that their cruising speeds were 120-140. But those figures don't sound right either.
    I managed to average 78.5kph on the Intruder last year. That included my 11 fuel stops, wrong turns and extra k's, stopping to check road signs to ensure I was on the right goat track and frequently pootling to the conditions at 80 - 100kph. Sometimes getting up to 120 and very occasionally 130. I recently averaged 94.2kph Welly - Rotorua via Wairarapa, Napier, Gisborne, Waioeka Gorge and most of that was at around 110. (500ks on a tank helps the average though)

Quote Originally Posted by nerve2 View Post
    My reserve comes on around 200km, so I might buy a bottle of octane booster and bring that along... (They sell that in New Zealand, right?)

Just noticed you said not open on weekends... Maybe will see how far I can get it to go...
    I wouldn't even consider the possibility of gas at Pongaroa!! Masterton - Waipuk' is only 194.5kms. Carry 5ltrs if you want to play it safe...or go slower.
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Hmmm, I hope you're right. I've just spoken to one of the guys here at work who has done the Grand Challenge (1,0004 times now. He says that their average last year was 80kmh and to do that their cruising speeds were 120-140. But those figures don't sound right either.
    80k average is what we budget on for GC & Southern X and usually achieve slightly higher without having to be silly. You just have to keep at it and not stuff around stopping all the time or for long periods. Good range definitely helps.

Bike
    2000 Honda CBR600F4, RG50/GL145 Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ View Post
    It's a ride Grub, not an election!!
    Ok, but what about my public?

Bike
    2007 CB900
    I am your farking public!

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    They're welcome to come if they've got a bike that will make it.....preferably in about 12 hours.
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    2007 CB900
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroJ View Post
    They're welcome to come if they've got a bike that will make it.....preferably in about 12 hours.
    its not the bike that won't make it koro .. its the arse

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Nasty View Post
    its not the bike that won't make it koro .. its the arse
    How can you get a sore arse?

It's only....
    621.3711 miles
    207.1233 Leagues or
    179.9856 Nautical Leagues (I'll throw in an "Avast ye Bilge Rat! to get in early for tomorrow)
    23.6995 Marathons
    0.0033 Light Seconds
    0.001 Gigameters

Now 'Strike ye Colours and Trim ye Topgallant' we be goin' for a ride. (Sorry Hitcher, I know I'm a day early but I need the practice)
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    is it legal to carry a 5ltr fuel can on the back of a bike?
    If so i've got a decent rack "snigger' and can carry some spare fuel for anyone running dry (mine does 400km a tank anyway)

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Course it's legal....approved plastic or metal type only.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Several
    Quote Originally Posted by unhingedlizard View Post
    is it legal to carry a 5ltr fuel can on the back of a bike?
    If so i've got a decent rack "snigger' and can carry some spare fuel for anyone running dry (mine does 400km a tank anyway)
    Who gives a shit, its not an easy clear cut way to make money like speeding tickets so cops probably won't care.
    Aslong as it is safe and sensible (i.e. not in a coke bottle down your jacket!) I'm sure it should all be sweet.
    Would really be a good idea to bring some aye, my bike VFR400 wont make masterton to waipuk on one tank in its current (not the best..) state.
    Heinz Varieties

Bike
    Cool. will bring 5ltrs bungeed to the rack then. Note: Will only fill you up if you are about to run out. you cheeky monkeys.

Bike
    1990 Honda NC30
    Quote Originally Posted by unhingedlizard View Post
    Cool. will bring 5ltrs bungeed to the rack then. Note: Will only fill you up if you are about to run out. you cheeky monkeys.
    Sweet, would be MUCH appreciated! When I had my bike in the states the first and last time I ran out I was able to coast 50m to a petrol station... Doesn't sound like that's an option in this case... Hoping I can keep up AND do 260+/-km a tank though...

Thread Information