Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which SMC club members have and haven't crashed?

Bike
    Hornet

Which SMC club members have and haven't crashed?

Not to be morbid or tempt fate, but non-motorcyclist are always going on about how dangerous bikes are, so let's do an unofficial club count:

How many of our members have and haven't crashed before? If you did have a crash, describe the damage to you and your bike.

I'll start:

I'm happy to say that in 2-3 years of road riding the worst that's ever happened to me was dropping my bike on a muddy driveway at about 5kph. Just scratched the fairings, bent my indicator stalk and snapped the rear brake lever. Covered the scratch with a sticker, bent the stalk back by hand and bought a new lever.

Update: 4 December 2007

After posting this thread nearly three months ago at least 6 of our members have reported accidents either from their own fault or others in this time. Whilst not every member replied, it would appear that the vast majority of our riders have in fact binned at some stage.

Surprisingly, no serious injuries were reported in the any of the recent accidents apart from bashed up bikes.

5 Dec:

This was pointed out to me in another thread:

http://www.ltsa.govt.nz/research/toll.html

38 motorcycle deaths this year!
    Last edited by Macstar; 5th December 2007 at 12:33. Reason: More news

Bike
    a blue one
    Any crash on or off road?

6 i think...

I've fallen off bicycles many more times than i have motorbikes. And when I drive cars people seem to start crashing into me
    That would make bicycles more dangerous than motorbikes?

edit: ha just realised i'm not actually a member yet.

Bike
    2006 Hyosung GT250R
    i have dropped it smack bang in the middle of mt eden village right after the lights, low speed so not much damage. snapped mirror off and gear shift peg. had to limp home in first gear only.

i aint member either but i figure i hang out with you guys enough so i should probably sign up

Bike
    '08 DR650
    4 times,

1 slide on an oil patch in the wet on my rgv (caused scrape on fairing),

1 into a car on the rgv (car pulled out infront and stopped), caused no damage since i managed to lose 99% of my speed before hitting, ended up just dropping the bike

1 on mt eden road on the gn (car pulled out infront, i clipped the white line while braking and swerving to avoid, lost the front, but didnt hit the car! woot!) bent a handlebar riser

my wee off on the weekend, broke a rearset

+ several stationary drops

Bike
    Phurball's Mountain Bike and CB900
    ive had 3, all within auckland

1) got nicked from the side at low speed by a dick in a car who didnt look before changing lanes (cost him $1500 to replace 3 broken fairings on my ol FXR150 )

2) t-boned at royal oak roundabout at bout 40kph..first non-plane flight experience...wrote my bros bike off

3) was cleaning my mirrors, when i looked up the car in front had stopped without indication and i went smack bang into the back at bout 60kph....2nd non-plane flight experience, wrote my FXR off

p.s. lmao at steve and his stationary drops!! NOOOOOOB!!!!!
    "Rock is dead" - Jim Morrison

Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by bomma View Post
    p.s. lmao at steve and his stationary drops!! NOOOOOOB!!!!!

hanne was so excited to see a steam train she lept off.... before my foot was down.
    and a couple of others when my legs were so wet and cold they just gave in

Bike
    S1000RR
    Lets see...

1) Dropped my bike on the RHS unfortunately the rear brake lever was long enough to act as a lever to break the Rear-brake mechanics and

and thats about it....YET lol
    So far so good
    I'm now being extremely cautious

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    1987 VFR400 NC24
    have had 1 crash so far in my 2.5years of riding, caused by a cage. the damage to me was just a bruse or 2, my bike however. bent LHS handlebar, the front rhs fairing was split into a bunch of pieces and the back lhs was scratched pretty bad. there wasnt any witnesses, and the guy tried to blame it on me. but after a while he just didnt contact me anymore.

I rebuilt the fairing with fibreglass and spray painted it myself and got decals made, it looked sweet. This was with my FZR btw

Other then that nothing really has happened
    Theres a hole in the sky, through which things can fly

Bike
    RC46 VFR800 in yellow, VTR250, ÜberFXR
    One bin after 2 years riding.

Right in front of the registry by the pedestrian crossing after a car reversed out in front of me in an unusual fashion. Should have avoided it by anticipating muppet driving in that area...

In a completely unrelated event, I joined the SMC the next day...

Claim still not sorted out fully, and has to go to disputes tribunal hearing. At least being a final-year law student helps with that one

On the plus side, insurance picked up the tab for all the cosmetic damage and the bike is now mint and for sale

I just need my $500 excess back!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxesdaphat View Post
    V4! VFR800s sound like some sort of alien rocket-ship coming to probe all of our women and destroy our cities

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    Quote Originally Posted by Macstar View Post
    Not to be morbid or tempt fate, but non-motorcyclist are always going on about how dangerous bikes are, so let's do an unofficial club count:

How many of our members have and haven't crashed before? If you did have a crash, describe the damage to you and your bike.

I'll start:

I'm happy to say that in 2-3 years of road riding the worst that's ever happened to me was dropping my bike on a muddy driveway at about 5kph. Just scratched the fairings, bent my indicator stalk and snapped the rear brake lever. Covered the scratch with a sticker, bent the stalk back by hand and bought a new lever.
    whats the SMC club?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    Too many to count
    i've had countless dirt bike crashes, but only one serious one, where - and this is brilliant - on muriwai beach a 4wd decided to do a 90 turn without looking and i happened to be passing at about 70-80kph at the time AFTER following him for a while. i swerved and luckily i used the .5 of a second to get my leg out from between bike and car, and then impaled my chest on the handle bar, which hurt somewhat. dick gave false details too, nearly wrote off bike but i got secondhand parts and the frame seems straight enough despite the dent.

as for the road:
    on my learners, at night in the wet, i hit some oil on a roundabout - broke mirror and fixed with glue - yet no-one stopped to see if i was ok, nor would they stop to let me wheel the bike off the intersection. also had a stationary drop where my shoelaces looped around the brake lever

on my restricted a 4wd stopped without any brake lights to turn right an i didn't notice till the last minute - i clipped their bullbar with my handle bar at 80kph and proceeded with a massive speed wobble off the road and into gravel - god only knows how i kept it upright, made the corner and stopped.

as for the vfr on my full licence - well that thing is so damn good and with my skill i've been able to dodge, regain traction, and stoppie my way out of trouble so far!

MY friends;

my 1st younger brother, on my old fxr, had a 14 year old girl unsupervised in a 4wd do a u-turn outside her house without looking. wrote off bike (worth 3k at the time). her dad told us to fuck off or he'd "smash" us. we called the cops, the dumbasses gave him false details even though he was at their house and told the cop that the girl was ok to drive alone unlicenced and uninsured because she was "learning". girl got ticketed, and after 3 court ruling, all against her, we got nothing.

and the best one of all;
    me and my mate were cruising down muriwai at about 50kph - low tide. i was riding on the edge of the waves and he was keeping out of the salt. a 4wd was parked about 2 km north from the bike park, way up on the dry sand. the DUMBASS had a kite line out, and put the reel next to his front wheel on the far (north) side of his car, and was running the linel across the beach to his hand where he was holding it above his head -note on a dirtbike your head is about same height as standing.
    at the last moment i realised what he was holding, and ducked.
    then i heard the sound of a kite line snapping, looked over my shoulder and saw my mate lying back on his bike, and sitting back up. i stopped, he came over and asked, "what is wrong with my neck?" - he didn't know what he had hit. i took one glance and went "OH FUCK"

Bike
    Too many to count
    once the nylon line had hit him at his collar height and feeling something tugging he had leant backwards, the nylon then proceeded run through his shirt, into his flesh and up the muscles before snapping and taking off the slice with it.

so i was staring at a gash right across my mate's neck about 1.5 inches high.

i told him to go back to the 4wd and when we got there the dickhead was all "wtf you cut my finger". i told him we needed a first aid kit and he was all "uh i think i've got one". having only one bandage wrapped around his neck he asshole then refused to take us to help, and told us to ride 12KM down the beach to the surf club. we then waited 20 minutes for an ambulance, and then upon arrival hospital sat in a&e for 3 hours before he got any pain killers. surgery was at some time in the morning, where they simply stretched and stitched the wound closed - with SEVENTEEN stitches. he was off work for a few weeks, and had to deal with burns from the nylon around his neck (which luckily stopped alot of bleeding when it happened). one hell of a scar which he'll always have.

when the ambulance picked us up we left out bikes at the surf club, and his dad went and picked up our van and our bikes and came to the hospital. the 4wd guy was at the club complaining about his cut finger and was getting abused by the surfies, and apparently sometime around midnight some asshole went into the hospital parking building, broke into the van and stole my mate's bike! the cops said they found the thief but waited for some reason and never recovered the uninsured bike worth 5k at the time and the asshole did a runner.

all in all it was an epic fail - the one time we didn't bring a first aid kit nor cellphone due to not ever needing the kit and no signal up there. also ruined his family get-together as they all ended up at the hospital after i called mid bbq to tell them where we were and what had happened

Bike
    Too many to count
    MORAL OF THE STORY: stay well clear of 4WDs - the occupants are retards, no exception (and by 4wd, i mean any vehicle with 4 wheels)

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbyclist View Post
    MORAL OF THE STORY: stay well clear of 4WDs - the occupants are retards, no exception (except for work utes, they're different)
    there are alot of motorcyclists that drive 4x4's and there are alot of very good drivers that drive them also...so I think you should shut you mouth with comments like that and get a grip...and grow the fuck up!!! come on!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpoos View Post
    there are alot of motorcyclists that drive 4x4's and there are alot of very good drivers that drive them also...so I think you should shut you mouth with comments like that and get a grip...and grow the fuck up!!! come on!!
    i ride on the assumption that everyone out there is a blind idiot and seem to be proved right again and again -it's a very wise approach

funnily enough this approach is what has helped me to avoid and/or pre-empt a large number of near misses over the years

(hell even my dad who's been riding 30 years drives a ute when it's raining/he needs to - and we both can agree that rear visibility is not one of it's strong points)

note i did edit the post to make it a bit more sensible and less offensive (what i meant is that women/mother's on the school run, along with the elderly, are the most absent minded/distracted out there -edit:and people on cell phones)

Thread Information