Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Crazy old guy at Uni

Bike
    01' NZ Postie CT110
    Haha, I don't park at Auckland Uni but I might start doing so.

I reckon the undercover carpark under Shads is probably the best place to park bikes.

Andrew is right about all these shitter bikes/scooters taking up space and next them you see em, just move em.

Bike
    Like Dani Pedrosa's RC211V now!
    Quote Originally Posted by HungusMaximist View Post
    Haha, I don't park at Auckland Uni but I might start doing so.

I reckon the undercover carpark under Shads is probably the best place to park bikes.

Andrew is right about all these shitter bikes/scooters taking up space and next them you see em, just move em.
    Think there will be some construction for that area including the parking near shadows. Just be careful to check the ground aint full of nails or sharp objects. You can try parking inside the engineering parking.
    Don't just live to ride but ride to live.

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by bomma View Post
    one of the guys we know is working on opening up alfred st for bike parking again....he's putting together a document that outlines the problems we have been having and stuff...

we'll post it up when we know more but he's is basically looking for a few bikers to go along with him when he makes his case, just to add some validity and credibility to the argument.

i know im definately gonna go (provided im in the city/country) and i know many others who are keen so hopefully that will be the long-run solution....till then im gonna try and not run over any peds and will continue to park my bike near the lockers for safety reasons

EDIT: just cant seem to emphasise enough how MUNTER-ish peds are!!! god gave you eyes and a brain for a reason you dum fuckers!!! sad thing is that the people who gave me this attitude toward peds don't represent the population but now everytime i see a ped near the road edge i think "munter" and get ready to brake.....fucking munters
    Excellent but the current value of real-estate in Auckland must put the value of parking lots into unrealistic figures now a days, surely!

I guess "free" parking means the University picks up the bill and ultimately the Tax payer.

Even with the bike parking problem solved, the old guy will still just be the nutty old guy but there will be a time line fixed to him any way!

When he goes he will be replaced by another and another etc until the current nutter is actually your own age, now that gets scary! (lol) Cheers John.

PS: The bike thefts around Universities makes me bloody sick, actually any bike theft makes me sick!

Bike
    01' NZ Postie CT110
    Quote Originally Posted by klyong82 View Post
    Think there will be some construction for that area including the parking near shadows. Just be careful to check the ground aint full of nails or sharp objects. You can try parking inside the engineering parking.
    Is that undercover and is really sneaky like where Nish parks?

I only need to workout places to park when I head up to Auckland Uni, otherwise it's just at AUT.

I sometime park at the Quad (where vesbar is), that plot of space next to Student Job Search, just by the entrance where it leads to to the GYM.

Otherwise, under the flight of stairs next to The Hub, where there's actually grounded bike anchors, but they're doing some upgrades at the moment so I can't great through.

It's real good, better than the crowded business faculty.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by HungusMaximist View Post
    Is that undercover and is really sneaky like where Nish parks?

I only need to workout places to park when I head up to Auckland Uni, otherwise it's just at AUT.

I sometime park at the Quad (where vesbar is), that plot of space next to Student Job Search, just by the entrance where it leads to to the GYM.

Otherwise, under the flight of stairs next to The Hub, where there's actually grounded bike anchors, but they're doing some upgrades at the moment so I can't great through.

It's real good, better than the crowded business faculty.
    It is actually an AUT staff parking building which you need a swipe card but I have seen bikers (students) just riding pass the side of the barrier. Next to wilson carpark on st paul street

Bike
    Phurball's Mountain Bike and CB900
    just found out that the ol crazy wasnt just some old crazy guy.....hes the dean of science (dick) apparently....no thats his name

and just a reply to the comment bout the value of real-estate point....the bits of the road that bikers used to park on when alfred st was still open for parking are now NOT IN USE AT ALL!! they lay barren with barely any foot traffic passing through the upper parts of alfred st....its obvious that they have not invested any time and research into finding out how the patterns of bike parking and usage on that road
    "Rock is dead" - Jim Morrison

Keep your eyes on the road, your hands upon the wheel

Bike
    Are you sure this fella is a dean? the original first post by badassbandit mentioned that he was calling a rider stupid and a dick??!! He should not be using language like that...

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by klyong82 View Post
    Are you sure this fella is a dean? the original first post by badassbandit mentioned that he was calling a rider stupid and a dick??!! He should not be using language like that...
    yep when he stopped david (the guy wif the black cbr dat fell ova at the agm), david asked him who he was and the guy identified himself as the dean....wat a dick aye

Bike
    -
    one of the guys we know is working on opening up alfred st for bike parking again....he's putting together a document that outlines the problems we have been having and stuff...

we'll post it up when we know more but he's is basically looking for a few bikers to go along with him when he makes his case, just to add some validity and credibility to the argument.
    That would be Ixion, who posted at the top of the 3rd page with the comment about my syntax being incorrect Perhaps I was thinking of regular expressions? (Stand back -- I know regex!).

The letter is kicking around here somewhere, I can't remember which thread it's in but I'll post it up here once I find it. He's not exactly specifically looking for Alfred St to be opened up, it's just kind of mentioned as an alternative I think. It's just calling for adequate parking in general -- certainly Alfred St would be the easiest/cheapest option I would assume. Ixion's the president of BRONZ, which is a biker's rights organisation who like to pick fights with figures of authority. Sounds right up your alley, Nish ^_^.

Anyway, as I mentioned in Sunday's meeting, he's looking for a few of us to tag along to the council. We don't need to do anything -- just stand there and look like the `voice of the people'

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by xerxesdaphat View Post
    That would be Ixion, who posted at the top of the 3rd page with the comment about my syntax being incorrect Perhaps I was thinking of regular expressions? (Stand back -- I know regex!).

The letter is kicking around here somewhere, I can't remember which thread it's in but I'll post it up here once I find it. He's not exactly specifically looking for Alfred St to be opened up, it's just kind of mentioned as an alternative I think. It's just calling for adequate parking in general -- certainly Alfred St would be the easiest/cheapest option I would assume. Ixion's the president of BRONZ, which is a biker's rights organisation who like to pick fights with figures of authority. Sounds right up your alley, Nish ^_^.

Anyway, as I mentioned in Sunday's meeting, he's looking for a few of us to tag along to the council. We don't need to do anything -- just stand there and look like the `voice of the people'
    hehe fo shizzle....sounds like we'd get along just fine

and yes like i said in a post somewher and at the meeting, im sure that the whole club is itching to back you up mate so just give us a time and place and we'll be there in numbers

Bike
    -
    Here's the link to the post with the letter attached: http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...6&postcount=19

Relevant quote from the letter:
    Quote Originally Posted by Letter Foo
    BRONZ considers this situation entirely unsatisfactory, and calls upon you to immediately :
    * Either restore motorcycle access and parking in Alfred St:
    * Or, provide further dedicated parking in Symond’s St and Princes St. BRONZ suggests that to accommodate demand this should comprise the whole of both sides of Symond’s St and Princes St from Waterloo Quadrant to Wellesley St.

Bike
    thats pretty awesome ixion (lee) good to see that you highlighted the importance of the biking community in multiple ways....

just wondering if we could make a case directly based on opening alfred st up for bike parking. my focus on alfred st is stemmed by the ease with which bikes can be stolen from symonds st and princes st....alfred st has also seemingly become a hot spot for cops who haunt the street, waiting for the unwary car to come driving down and slapping em with a fine. this makes it that much safer for bikes to be parked there....

my 2 rupees

Bike
    -
    thats pretty awesome ixion (lee) good to see that you highlighted the importance of the biking community in multiple ways....

just wondering if we could make a case directly based on opening alfred st up for bike parking. my focus on alfred st is stemmed by the ease with which bikes can be stolen from symonds st and princes st....alfred st has also seemingly become a hot spot for cops who haunt the street, waiting for the unwary car to come driving down and slapping em with a fine. this makes it that much safer for bikes to be parked there....

my 2 rupees
    :%s/lee/les/g

Alfred St is undoubtedly the easiest option. I can't see them being too happy about losing Symonds St and Princes St to bikes. I don't see that the theft issue has much to do with parking, to be honest; that's a separate issue -- in free public parking, we shouldn't expect security to be a determining factor.

Alfred St is top of the list anyway.

Bike
    [QUOTE=xerxesdaphat;1229309. I don't see that the theft issue has much to do with parking, to be honest; that's a separate issue -- in free public parking, we shouldn't expect security to be a determining factor.[/QUOTE]

i dunno about that Tom Cornall....by allocating free parking areas, the city would expect those spots to be used....what is the point in large areas of land being allocated to parking if nobody uses em?? city loses out as it is just wasted space and bikers would lose out because they have gained nothing (in terms of parking space)

every factor is relatively important and contributes to the decisions made....

safety from theft is just an important a factor as the gradient of the road or the quality of seal etc....they all play a major role in determining whether ill park there and whether my bike will be safe while parked there

again just my two rupees

EDIT: but yes you are right, the other two streets would not be viable areas to corner off as "bike only parking" areas....alfred st is most likely at the top of their list good point that Tom Cornall, never thought of it that way

Bike
    -
    O/T: Is this `Tom Cornall' shit happening just because I signed my full name on the sheet instead of just `Nish' like the rest of you ?

Thread Information