Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: How many k's do you get to a tank?

Bike
    82 midnight special 1000xv

Bugger

Depends how hard you ride. Big bikes F--- all
    Last edited by Midnight 82; 14th October 2004 at 14:14. Reason: spelling
    must ride everyday

Bike
    Sold
    The worst I've heard of was an ex-neighbour's Kawasaki H2 750cc triple. He actually ran it dry from a full tank thrashing it from Tokoroa down SH1 to Taupo Taupo is about 80kms away and if you figure that the gas tank held 18 or so litres, that's 4.4 km/litre or ~12.5 mpg!

Now that's plain ridiculous!!

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    My VFR easily does 350km before the fuel warning light comes on and then its good for about another 60kms. Most rides I go on with other bikers I'm not filling the tank as often. Tank is 21 litres. My trip to Napier last week the gauge was still showing quarter full when I got there. It rained from Dannevirke up so I just didn't bother stopping anywhere and likewise on the way home it was so wet just did it non-stop again as I don't need to stop for gas.

The WR is another story, being such a highly tuned 250 single and geared low it sucks the gas and does about 140km to reserve point and maybe 170km altogether (haven't let it get that low to try) on an 11 litre tank. i.e. it is heavier on the gas than my 750 is.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    XZ10R 2006
    H1 tripple 100KMS 16 liters have had to walk the tank a few times
    the art of diplomacy is saying nice doggie,
    until you find a big rock

Bike
    ZXR250
    Damn..I thought I had at least 1 advantage over bigger bikes- fuel economy - but sadly no. After I do my cbta course next wed just 12months and 20days 'till I can upgrade.

Bike
    xs400 -
    Quote Originally Posted by merv
    My VFR easily does 350km before the fuel warning light comes on and then its good for about another 60kms. Most rides I go on with other bikers I'm not filling the tank as often. Tank is 21 litres. My trip to Napier last week the gauge was still showing quarter full when I got there. It rained from Dannevirke up so I just didn't bother stopping anywhere and likewise on the way home it was so wet just did it non-stop again as I don't need to stop for gas.

The WR is another story, being such a highly tuned 250 single and geared low it sucks the gas and does about 140km to reserve point and maybe 170km altogether (haven't let it get that low to try) on an 11 litre tank. i.e. it is heavier on the gas than my 750 is.
    BOy oh boy a lincoln toy .. thats impresswive ...

I Uually fillupatt about 250-270 ...

BUtt once I gotto 300 after forgettin to filleruppe ... found a station in the middle of nowherre ... phew ...

THere wasa skimm of fumes in the bottom of the tank ...

I SPent asmuch as I could atthat station ... I wantem to stay in business...
    THe hand's farster than the eye ... keepan eye onda feet .. .

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    A few years back I did a South Island tour riding with a guy on a Fireblade, think it was about a 94 - 96 model. We raced along a bit (can't tell Spud about this) and then every time we stopped for gas he kept saying "damn I'm spending just a wee bit more than you on gas". I look closely and no, to my surprise his bike was slightly more economical at the same speeds than the VFR in km/litre. The difference was I'm using cheaper 91 octane and he was putting 96 in his.

The moral of that story is that the Fireblade he had was bloody easy on fuel and mine is very similar with both being carburetted bikes. Blade has about 3 litres less in the tank than mine at 18 litres vs 21 litres.

Photo (sorry bit shadowy looking into the sun) is at Arthurs Pass as many will recognise.

Dig the Austin Allegro - only in the South Island would you still see one of those I guess.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	199703e05.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	59.1 KB 
ID:	4340  
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    Royal Enfield 650 & a V8 or two..
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird
    The worst I've heard of was an ex-neighbour's Kawasaki H2 750cc triple. He actually ran it dry from a full tank thrashing it from Tokoroa down SH1 to Taupo Taupo is about 80kms away and if you figure that the gas tank held 18 or so litres, that's 4.4 km/litre or ~12.5 mpg!

Now that's plain ridiculous!!
    I remember a meat inspector at the works who use to haul to and from Ch-ch on a Kwaka 750 triple two-stroke, he thought it was a good trip if he got as much as 16mpg!!!(proly just under 5km/litre) shit, my old '49 V8 truck got that! (he did move along a LITTLE faster than me I have to admit!!)
    Winding up drongos, foil hat wearers and over sensitive KBers for over 14,000 posts...........
    " Life is not a rehearsal, it's as happy or miserable as you want to make it"

One year my wife and I decided to go to Taranaki on New Years Day - this was the days of fuel rationing,the gas stations were closed on weekends and public holidays,by law! We would have no fuel available to us all day,so we loaded ourselves down with tins of gas,no plastic containers in those days.I was on my 1961 Norton 600 SS,she was on her 1971 Triumph Trident,we could happily cruise together at 70mph....but it soon became apparent the Trident was sucking fuel at an alarming rate,the faster she went the more it sucked,so we had to bring the speed down.Now it was becoming hard for me to ride my Norton...with the cams and gearing I had I couldn't run below 60mph (100kph) in top gear,trying to keep my motor happy,it was my fuel consumption that was now rising.We poured the last of our fuel into the Trident somewhere between Urititi and Urenui,so she went over to a farm and the farmer sold her some fuel from his supply (illeagal).We both went onto reserve about 20km from our destination,it was close.Damn multis,they suck the fuel man!
    In and out of jobs, running free
    Waging war with society

Bike
    08 Victory Vegas
    Well my Moto Guzzi MKIV will get about 350k's on the main tank.
    I can get from Omarama to CH.CH two up with gear cruising at about 130-140km/h.
    So I'm told

My Moto Guzzi MKIII will get abit less at the same speed, About 320k's.
    They both have a 25 Litre tanks.

So I may get passed by a few whizzes, but I get them back when they stop
    for gas and we just keep on trucking.

That is if I'm not riding with whizzes that have to keep stopping for gas.

Bike
    2004, Triumph speed 4
    On my GN 250 I fill it every 250 with about 8 litires less than $10.00 cost (Thats around 30 litires per Kilometer). This includes motor way traffic as well as commuting around Auckland. I am using the bike for over 40 km per day so it is proving a lot cheaper than my car.
    I assume from the above discussions that this is very good.
    I have been thinking of up grading to a SV 650S, does any one know what the fuel economy on this is like??

Bike
    70's Superbikes
    Quote Originally Posted by Joni
    My CBR gives you about 250/260 a tank...
    Same, and mines a 1000!
    So thats 18 liters per 250km
    The Guzzi is a lot better at 270 per 18 liters
    Blast From The Past Axis of Oil

Bike
    MG V11 Nero Corsa LeMans
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodgyiti
    The Guzzi is a lot better at 270 per 18 liters
    Ya bloody what! 270/18............ shit damn I want a RS Daytona, my Guzzi 1100i Sport runs out at 200-220 with a 19L tank............ mind you that is a very pesamestic Iti 19L's
    cheers DD
    (Definately Dodgy)

Bike
    2020 Honda Rebel 500
    Can get 230km on a full tank with the Bandit by the looks. Bit different from the 300km on the FXR for sure.
    /end communication

Bike
    1997 Ducati 600 Supersport
    I've got no idea what my tank holds, but I got 219.7ks on 12.01 litres of fuel.
    That obviously doesnt include burnouts or wheelies..

Thread Information