Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bio Fuel

Bike
    2017 GSXR 750

Bio Fuel

Global Warming ... blah blah.
    Oil depletion policy .. blah blah.
    more kiwis should use public transport..get bent! .. woops ... sorry .. blah blah.

What i want to know is will my bike, or any bike for that matter, run on bio fuel, gull are selling it at the pump, so what are the pro's and cons for bikers.

Anyone know the answers ??

Bike
    02 Ducati ST4s
    Quote Originally Posted by WarlockNZ View Post
    more kiwis should use public transport..get bent! .. woops ... sorry .. blah blah.

What i want to know is will my bike, or any bike for that matter, run on bio fuel, gull are selling it at the pump, so what are the pro's and cons for bikers.

Sad thing the biofuel isn't the answer...
    • It makes the same carbon emmissions isn't any cleaner than standard fuel.
    • It will put the price of grain up and therefore the price of food in general, as more farmers grow grain for fuel and less for food (supply and demand)
    • And since we are in the Kyoto protocol, growing grain for fuel to create the same emissions... hmmmm

Answering your question tho... most modern vehicles should be able run on Biofuels. However whether they are as efficient as standard fuel I can not answer

Bike
    Il4 and Vtwin
    Quote Originally Posted by NighthawkNZ View Post
    • It makes the same carbon emmissions isn't any cleaner.
    • It will put the price of grain up and therefore the price of food in general, as more farmers grow grain for fuel and less for food (supply and demand)
    • And since we are in the Kyoto protocol, growing grain for fuel to create the same emissions... hmmmm
    Surely being organic it wil be fine for substance abuse at the rallies etc. Bring it on.

Bike
    750 auw
    i thought it was bad for bikes so just checked my manual.

he doesnt speak much engrish (hes from barcelona) but he say up to 10% ethanol is ok but dont store the bike for any length of time with this fuel in it.

and avoid methanol fuel.

gull is 10% so as they say, i speeeka da good engleesh.

Bike
    orange, light, loud: all i need
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WarlockNZ View Post

your bike will run fine on it, better even if the fuel has a better octane and/or cetane rating

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Usarka View Post
    i thought it was bad for bikes so just checked my manual.

he doesnt speak much engrish (hes from barcelona) but he say up to 10% ethanol is ok but dont store the bike for any length of time with this fuel in it.

and avoid methanol fuel.

gull is 10% so as they say, i speeeka da good engleesh.
    yep, Gull is 10% and it's ethanol not methanol

Bike
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NighthawkNZ View Post
    • It makes the same carbon emmissions isn't any cleaner than standard fuel.

Answering your question tho... most modern vehicles should be able run on Biofuels. However whether they are as efficient as standard fuel I can not answer
    Oh dear.

Biofuel does emit the same carbon but since it is fist taken from the air by the plants then relesed back into the air by the vehicle; it's carbon neutral (depending on a few other factors to follow)

It WILL raise the price of grain if the wrong kinds of plants are used in the wrong regions to produce it. The best plants to grow for biofuels are not sugar can or corn in most places. Those are too reliant on machinery, fertilisers, pesticides and water.
    The best crops are varied and depend on the place where they are to be grown. It's complicated and too big too explain here: read up.

Growing grain for fuel doesn't have to produce the same emmissions at all and that has what to do with Kyoto?

As for efficiency: biodiesel is MORE effieient. It has a better cetane rating and has MUCH better lubrication properties.
    The usual figure quoted is 10% MORE power on biodiesel. I don't have the numbers for bioethanol but I'd suspect similar ideas.

Bike
    750 auw
    does biofuel go both ways?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Usarka View Post
    does biofuel go both ways?
    The answer to that question will become clearer when we know what the cocktane rating is.

Bike
    -
    They were talking about it on the television a while back, and said something to the effect of `cars with carburettors -- especially Japanese imports -- should not use it'.

Having a somewhat elderly bike, I think I might stay away from it for the moment.

Bike
    a green and silver lazy suzi
    The front page of the NZ Herald today has an article on BioFuels and the increase of costs for the non-bio-fuel variants available. So my question is; who is going to be running their bikes on bio-fuel and who is going to use still standard fuels? will the 98 octane variant available from BP presently still be available after the mass introduction of bio-fuels?………thoughts? ideas?
    Come on, Toshi, come on!

Bike
    VFR400, ZX9R, GSXR750, ZXR750, TRX850
    Here ya go.... go to gull.co.nz and it has a list of all the cars AND motorbikes that biofuel is ok or not ok for .

Bike
    a green and silver lazy suzi
    cheers for the link

To bad if your a honda rider as it seems you all got forgotten from the list of motorbikes sold in this country
    Come on, Toshi, come on!

Bike
    A naked monster - just like me.
    I put some in my cage the other day from Gull and car was shit until I flushed it out with some BP 98.

Bike
    2017 GSXR 750
    well shit ... LOL ... all hyosungs can't use it ...

Thread Information