Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Wire (cheese cutter) barriers

Bike
    '93 Kwaka ZZR400, GSX400X impulse
    I have been advocating against them for quite some time now, I have been dreading this type of trajedy for some since they were put in.

The reply I got at the time is they are saving more lives than they are taking!!!!!!!
    At that time I was having trouble refuting it with evidence close to home enough to make any impact.
    Considering each time they are damaged a possible head-on is prevented!

Sweden was the first to bann them, I will dredge up the research I had got together. Some were installing protection strips.

Found this file over 12 months ago!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Barrier2Safety.pdf  
    Work Harder
    Millions on welfare and ACC depend on you!

Bike
    91 FXR150r
    I would support some kind of organised protest ride, come on guys n gals, surely if other "minority" groups can get media attention etc we can too.

Cheese cutters are a risk that we as motorcyclists should not have to live with.
    Om nom nom.

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    A crucial bit of information we need is the long term costs associated with maintenance and repair of the wire rope barriers. Concrete is pretty durable, yet I've seen quite a few damaged wire barriers. I heard anecdotally from overseas studies that long term, concrete barriers are cheaper.
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    06 scrambler,xrl,
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpoos View Post
    media is a great way to get people who usually appear def dumb and ignorant to listen... http://www.tv3.co.nz/TVShows/Newsand...1/Default.aspx

if alot of people send a msg through...we might get a response...minorities like us Motorcyclists need to be heard too
    Done. Hope it helps.

Bike
    R6
    The articles etc you are all finding is just the sort of stuff we need to arm ouselves with if we are to fight. Well done guys, keep them coming. I have started a new thread regarding TV3 news coverage tonight, and the possible media coverage of a protest ride, so please go check it out.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation itself

Bike
    '07 RSVR1000
    media is a great way to get people who usually appear def dumb and ignorant to listen... http://www.tv3.co.nz/TVShows/Newsand...1/Default.aspx

if alot of people send a msg through...we might get a response...minorities like us Motorcyclists need to be heard too
    Another couple of messages sent - I'll do one for every member in the family to get numbers up!

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Why do they work? Because they grab the car, and don't generally act as an object for the vehicle to bounce off, like concrete does. They slow the vehicle down, from all the posts ripping into the side of the vehicle.

None of this helps bikers. Regardless of speed, they will do far more damage to a human body than relatively smooth concrete would.

Transit has apparently saved money by installing a cheaper option. Yeh... wonder what value they put on lives.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Suzuki Marauder VZ800
    Another few:

Some European research, including links to a bunch of studies, good stats, and pictures of ways to fix the problems.

A maybe inconclusive masters thesis from Sweden. "More research to be carried out".

An Aussie proposal (PDF) to study the topic, some stats and options.

And this one just leaves me speechless with rage! "Worth the risks" - WTF? Only motorcyclists, not important people, I suppose!
    Redefining slow since 2006...

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by raster View Post
    Found this file over 12 months ago!
    Quoting Page 23

4. Summary
    The literature review indicated that:
    • The probability of a motorcyclist being killed as a result of impacting a crash
    barrier is more than double that for motorcycle crashes generally;
    • The chances of injury upon hitting a fixed object appear to be related to the impact
    area and the rigidity of the object. Hence small rigid objects such as posts are most
    likely to cause injury;
    • The severity of injuries experienced by motorcyclists depends on the portion of
    the body struck in the crash;

• Most motorcycle collisions with crash barriers occur at shallow angles with the
    rider typically sliding into the barrier at a bend (Quincey et al, 1988) and (FORS,
    1992);
    • For those riders remaining upright when impacting the crash barriers, most
    injuries occur when after shallow impact the rider slides and tumbles into the tops
    of the supporting posts (Ouellet, 1982); and,

is what happened, in this case it is onto the wires.
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    2006 Yamaha FJR 1300A aka Fat Jandal

Email sent to TV3...

Sent an email... c'mon folks lets get this thing rolling.

On a Ulysses run today South of Dorkland and as I rode past I thought about what would happen if you hit one of these things.

The people that make the decisions have to realise that we all vote and pay a shit load of taxes/rates. We are not a voiceless minority.

Cheers

Stu
    Next event...

Aussie - Melbourne - Perth - Darwin - Alice - Melbourne... April-May 2011

Bike
    NC700X XR250 MTS1200
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rainman View Post
    And URL="http://stuff.co.nz/hawkesbay/4198973a23918.html"]this one[/URL] just leaves me speechless with rage! "Worth the risks" - WTF? Only motorcyclists, not important people, I suppose!
    While the barriers are effective. They need to cover it so that if a body comes into contact with it, it can slide along instead of being cut up like a de shelled hard boil egg.
    newbie since August 2004....
    VTR250 (retired) / SV650S (Fw:Keystone19) / GSXR750(given up) / CB400(traded for 919) / CB900 Hornet / CBR954 (traded) / CBR1100XX (sold) / TuonoR (sold) / CB900 Hornet / NC700X / MTS1200 / XR250

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by JMemonic View Post
    Personally disliked these things from the first time I saw one.

Depending on the protest action and finances I will be involved.

Christchurch riders will have noticed one of these things on the tunnel road heading towards Lyttelton, anyone know why transit spent the money? I cant find anyone who knows of an accident there that would justify this hazard, there used to be a gentle gradient on the grass allowing plenty of time to stop, and it provided a safe area should there be a breakdown, now it means cars and trucks have to stop in the lane and should you be riding up there at 2300, on pitch dark night, and the light fuse blows you have to try jamming yourself up against the bloody thing as cages wiz by at 100+ kph, none to pleasant.
    a good point... the road into welly is the same. if a truck has a tyre blowout, there is no room for traffic to go around it, with there being a cheese cutter down the middle. same goes if a car breaks down, no room to flow around. bikes... theres a bit of room on the southbound [cliff side] but not much on the north bound.

EDIT id be up for a protest of theres one held at wellington.
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    Aprilia Falco, K100 Project
    Blog Entries
    also is national transport spokesman maurice williamson...I'm sure with some encouragement and some rather well written emails he may voice and opinion for us in parlement?? email him here maurice.williamson@national.org.nz
    Rick Barker I think is worth a hit as well. He is a biker as well as being in the current parliment and a minister in cabnet
    http://labour.org.nz/labour_team/mps...arker/bio.html for his contact details
    or email rbarker@ministers.govt.nz
    May the road rise up to meet you.
    May the wind be always at your back.
    May the sun shine warm upon your face.

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    Quote Originally Posted by xgnr View Post
    Sent an email... c'mon folks lets get this thing rolling.

On a Ulysses run today South of Dorkland and as I rode past I thought about what would happen if you hit one of these things.

The people that make the decisions have to realise that we all vote and pay a shit load of taxes/rates. We are not a voiceless minority.

Cheers

Stu
    Done...........
    Have to Karma ... Justice catches up eventually !!

Bike
    08R6 Race bike
    I'm sorry for the death of your friend, but I oppose your argument.

clearly I am out numbered.

so I'm not going to post my reasons, and like a proper minority, will just be quiet.

best of luck with your campaign.
    Can I scream?

Thread Information