Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wire (cheese cutter) barriers

Bike
    CharlesidealOB
    Blog Entries

Exclamation Wire (cheese cutter) barriers

They need to go.

As usual it takes a tragedy before action is taken, so this thread is for compiling information about why they should be removed, so lets stick to the facts.

• Whats wrong with them
    • Should they be removed or modified
    • What other countries have done
    • How to approach/convince Transit NZ

No idle comments or guesses please. We just need info.

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    I was already onto this. I am contacting Transit on Tuesday to get some information including who the person to contact with these concerns is. We need to show a united front on this so that tey get the idea that as a biking community we are not going to put up with this. We also need to be armed with possible remedies.
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

Bike
    2006 r6
    What's wrong with them:
    They put riders at extra risk (compared to continuous barriers which the rider would slide along) from some fairly common bike failures causing the riders to fall: engine siezure/locking the rear wheel or front tire blowout. I've had two front tires go and would NEVER EVER want this to happen near this style of barrier. It is just too likely to catch a limb in the gaps- I truely believe these were designed with ONLY car/truck traffic in mind and as such constitute an unacceptable risk to motorcyclists.
    [SIGPIC]Little-RED-rinding-H O O D
    http://www.alexmonteith.com/work_detail.php?id=34#

Bike
    I deleted my above comment, as I don't think it contributes greatly to this thread.
    As has been said before, a cheap solution would be a plastic cover of some sort.

Bike
    2017 Husqvarana FS701
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumeux View Post
    As has been said before, a cheap solution would be a plastic cover of some sort.
    Yep, I beleive I suggsted that last time this was an issue of debate...if not, well I was thinking it! a thick polythen sheet would be easily replaced, cheap and also scrub off more energy than soid concrete. A Sleave could be made to simpliy slide of the existing armco.
    Nail your colours to the mast that all may look upon them and know who you are.
    It takes a big man to cry...and an even bigger man to laugh at that man.

Bike
    A protest ride, or a demonstration of some sort could bring a bit more attention to the matter.

Bike
    Kawasaki ZX1100 Turbo
    I read somewhere that 80% of motorcyclists that hit them at 70kmph die.

...will try and find source!

EDIT: (was close)

Quote Originally Posted by Grub View Post
    It's all KB's fault of course. I came across the older cheescutter threads one day and had a bit of a read. Then as I had to pass the roadworks installing even more twice a day, I wondered if ACC knew about the amputation stats around them. I dropped them an email and BCC'd it (hehe) to the DomPost.

Faced with the overseas evidence, DomPost have taken it up as a cause and today's article is I understand just a tickler.

The stuff that got me motivated was
    - Norway has banned them altogether
    - Belgium is ripping a section out every year until they're all gone
    - Victoria is looking at banning them
    - The Netherlands has banned them
    - In France they alll have to be filled in with a plastic tube called "Moto-tub"
    - 85% of motorcyclists hitting these bariers at over 70kmh loose a limb

There's lots more but that's the stuff I passed to ACC and DomPost and it seems they've started doing their own research too ... maybe it'll do some good.
    Last edited by Disco Dan; 21st October 2007 at 12:35. Reason: Addition
    "Speed has never killed anyone. Suddenly becoming stationary - that's what gets you."
    Jeremy Clarkson.

Kawasaki 200mph Club

Bike
    2008 Hayabusa
    As suggested. I think some action that would make the news is probably needed, say a 1000+ strong rally/protest ride, ending outside parliment, and then sit there for a while blocking traffic and reving engines in a deafening roar, would certainly get some attention....
    Save me Jebus!! Save me!!

Bike
    1991 Yamaha FJ1200
    Deja Vue...

Refer This Thread - We discussed this in September

I wonder how Allan Kirk feels now?

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    we've all been saying it was only a matter of time, if it hadn't happened already. Wasn't it one of the Euro countries that had them (can't remember if it was France or Sweden??), they then covered the ones that HAD to be there, and removed the ones that got alternatives, like concrete barriers

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    Quote Originally Posted by SpankMe View Post
    They need to go.

As usual it takes a tragedy before action is taken, so this thread is for compiling information about why they should be removed, so lets stick to the facts.

• Whats wrong with them
    • Should they be removed or modified
    • What other countries have done
    • How to approach/convince Transit NZ

No idle comments or guesses please. We just need info.
    media is a great way to get people who usually appear def dumb and ignorant to listen... http://www.tv3.co.nz/TVShows/Newsand...1/Default.aspx

if alot of people send a msg through...we might get a response...minorities like us Motorcyclists need to be heard too
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    Suzuki Marauder VZ800
    Quote Originally Posted by Fumeux View Post
    A protest ride, or a demonstration of some sort could bring a bit more attention to the matter.
    I'd be in, but I'd guess publicity around the event would need to be carefully managed. Maybe this is an issue BRONZ might want to take up?

Some random googling turns up the following bits:
    A n old story from Aussie that suggests some ways to fix them (Moto Tub, Rubrail?)
    Another Au story (PDF). Haven't read it as I'm being chased to take the family out but it looks like it may have some useful stats in.

I'll look for more when I get back in.
    Redefining slow since 2006...

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    also is national transport spokesman maurice williamson...I'm sure with some encouragement and some rather well written emails he may voice and opinion for us in parlement?? email him here maurice.williamson@national.org.nz
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    2013 Multistrada
    Personally disliked these things from the first time I saw one.

Depending on the protest action and finances I will be involved.

Christchurch riders will have noticed one of these things on the tunnel road heading towards Lyttelton, anyone know why transit spent the money? I cant find anyone who knows of an accident there that would justify this hazard, there used to be a gentle gradient on the grass allowing plenty of time to stop, and it provided a safe area should there be a breakdown, now it means cars and trucks have to stop in the lane and should you be riding up there at 2300, on pitch dark night, and the light fuse blows you have to try jamming yourself up against the bloody thing as cages wiz by at 100+ kph, none to pleasant.
    Its not the destination that is important its the journey.

Bike
    fire breathin ginja ninja
    I've seen these clips before, of them testing. For every other vehicle, I can see why they're so effective (even without this footage) and they're cheap, so it's going to be a hard battle since everything relates to 'majority rules' and sadly enough, we don't have such big numbers, altho ours should shout volumes over everything else.

Don't watch the clips if things are still raw, but this will show you what LTSA see, and why they see it. They're cheap, effective, and small, and do the job well. At the cost of.. well, we all know

[YOUTUBE]woZeuFKEn-Q[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]10L8421s18Q[/YOUTUBE]

Thread Information