Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Pilot Road 2 for The Concours 14?

Bike
    Concours 14

Pilot Road 2 for The Concours 14?

Gotta put new tyres on the Concours already because of a puncture caused by a box cutter blade I had the Bridgestone repaired (vulcanised) but after seeing it show through on the week end i have lost all faith in the tyre now
    I was never happy with the grip in the wet the Bridgestones have on the new ZG
    Pilot raod 2 is probably my first choice because of the dual compound
    I like the idea of sticky on the lean and good wear on the upright

What do you guys think ? and my second question
    Do you think i should replace the front as well to match for handling etc Remembering that they have only just done 5000 ks and still look like they have another 5000 ks left on them

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    I had the same problem on the ST. Puncture on back at 4K, replaced with Road Attack which was great for 4½K then was crap and only lasted 9½K.

Put a pair of PR2's on which I've had mixed feelings over, but I think most of that is my psychological problems as I found I lost a lot of confidence with the Conti. The PR2's are wearing very well and I expect to get 16K+ based on the current wear.

Hitcher has had Storms and currently has PR2's on his FJR, so he might be worth a PM as to which he prefers.

Personally, I'd just replace the back and only replace the front once it's worn. I've had odd tyres on various bikes with no problems although I have read of riders have trouble.
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    None any more
    I'm currently running PR2s on the FJR. Nice tyres. But I plan to return to Avon Storms at the next change.

Interesting your experiences with the new Battlax 021s. I've read some not-so-flash things about them on US reviews as well.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Checking out Meanie's & my bikes the other day it looked like he'd bean harder on his rear (although it had had that puncture) while I'd been a bit harder on my front - correct me if I'm wrong Meanie. Like Meanie I'm not too keen on the Battleax's - esp front.

I've had no experience with either of the tyres you guys have mentioned (been a Metzler fan on my Bandits) or for that matter a big fat bike so your input is valuable.

Currently thinking of throwing on a 2nd hand Metzler Sportec front on that's lying around in my shed. Figure it's got 3,000km in it but Concours will probably shred it. At least this way the next tyres I buy will probably be a set (rear ok at the mo).

Koro - looks like the PR2's are giving you good mileage. What are they like in the wet and I guess how do they go when you're fanging it?

Bike
    Prolight 250,XR4hundy
    I like 'em!!...though they're on a R6. Had my first decent ride in the wet on them over the w/end on the way to Greymouth streetraces & found them to be confidence inspiring. A mate of mine has a Metzler M3 on the front & PP 2ct on rear(road) & loves the mix...previously he had Azaros & he reckons PP rule
    The Heart is the drum keeping time for everyone....

Bike
    2010 Honda ST1300
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
    ......Koro - looks like the PR2's are giving you good mileage. What are they like in the wet and I guess how do they go when you're fanging it?
    I didn't seem to have more or less problems than anyone else in the light drizzle we encountered on the GC. As for fanging it...I wouldn't know...I ride like a nana!!
    How a man wins shows much of his character....How he loses shows all of it!!"
    Knute Rockne

Bike
    GSF1200sk3, DR650k6
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Meanie View Post
    Gotta put new tyres on the Concours already because of a puncture caused by a box cutter blade I had the Bridgestone repaired (vulcanised) but after seeing it show through on the week end i have lost all faith in the tyre now
    I was never happy with the grip in the wet the Bridgestones have on the new ZG
    Pilot raod 2 is probably my first choice because of the dual compound
    I like the idea of sticky on the lean and good wear on the upright

What do you guys think ? and my second question
    Do you think i should replace the front as well to match for handling etc Remembering that they have only just done 5000 ks and still look like they have another 5000 ks left on them
    I have been doing a lot of homework on rear tyres
    want a good grip and a long lasting tyre
    sounds like the bridgestone 021 is really good
    but something more interesting is that the metzeler roadtec z6 has been road tested in nz and works very well
    so problem solved
    as far as i know there are no other stats for a tyre tested on our roads
    all over seas on the flat bitumen or concrete so dont go by the 16000km you hear they get you wont here.

Bike
    Bikasaurus Rex,Tricerabike
    Liked the Z6 on the Bandit,but the PR2s are even better - lighter steering but and they stop turning in when you want them to.which was my one criticism of the Z6

Bike
    None any more
    What is it about the name that seems to encourage deafness in any discussion about sports touring tyre choices? Avon Storms!
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by homer View Post
    z6 has been road tested in nz and works very well
    so problem solved
    as far as i know there are no other stats for a tyre tested on our roads
    all over seas on the flat bitumen or concrete so dont go by the 16000km you hear they get you wont here.
    What sort of test? Rider's evaluation or actual numbers from accelerometers?
    Can post said tests?

Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    What is it about the name that seems to encourage deafness in any discussion about sports touring tyre choices? Avon Storms!
    Why? All round good performance or specific criteria?

And while we're at it why haven't I seen perdy coloured rubber for road bikes? Not quite the same performance?
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    2004 Honda ST1300 ABS
    I am running Avon Storm ST's on my bike and am completely sold on them. They are very hard wearing and provide excellent grip particularly in the wet. A recent grand Challenge gave them a very good test in these conditions...

They came on Hitcher's recommendation - best advice I have ever taken!

However, I don't "fang it" much either, so you might want something a little more sticky if you do?
    Regards

DougieNZ
    J'Ville
    Wellington

Bike
    None any more
    I have been known to occasionally "fang" on all of the tyres I have used between my bikes and the road. The Storms, like most sports touring tyres for that matter, are totally up to a bit of aggression. To a point where I wonder why sprotsbike riders who don't ride on the track and who go fanging for less than 10% of the distances they ride insist on buying small penis sports tyres when, for about the same money, they could use something that handles almost as well and lasts more than twice as long. Image is everything for some, I guess. Go figure.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Not sure that I agree with that supposition Hitcher.
    Sprotsbikes are generally relatively light and nimble, therefore the best tyres to use tend to be softer so that they can get up to their optimum temperature to grip properly. But when you are talking 250/300kg whales, then the very fact of their weight is going to require something a bit harder in the tyre department, yet still reach operating temperature.
    Yes, there are some sprotbikers out there who run touring tyres - but you won't see them taking their bikes to anything like the lean angles they are designed for without first spending a lot of time/movement getting the tyres hot enough. In the normal course of roadriding a light sprotsbike just can't reach and maintain 'correct' tyre temperature on touring tyres.
    Edit - I have the PR2s both ends. I happen to like them and they fill me with confidence for my riding style (call me a wimp if you like).
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    In the normal course of roadriding a light sprotsbike just can't reach and maintain 'correct' tyre temperature on touring tyres.
    If this were true, manufacturers would surely have published tables that showed km to reach "optimum" temperature for varying road and air temperatures. And I would have imagined that modern tyre compounds were increasingly less sensitive to things like temperature, compared to tyres from days of yore on which most myths and legends are based?

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    A table of suitability might be nice, but in truth will never happen. Too many variables. And tyre temp is still a biggie - try giving any bike a heavy lean within the first few hundred metres (at least) of setting off (cold) and see how you get on.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Thread Information