Thread: Gixxer's do the AK KB photo-shoot and the Forgotten Highway.

Bike
    GSXR750G Daytona 955 Tiger DR650 ZRX1200

Gixxer's do the AK KB photo-shoot and the Forgotten Highway.

Had to work Saturday, so getting after getting home around 4 Sarah and I packed up the Gixxers and headed down to the BP to gas up. Just as we left it started to piss down and didn't look like letting up whatsoever. So, on with the wets and hit the road for Turangi which was the destination for the night.

It rained heavily pretty much all the way to Taihape, and guess where the hole in the wets were? Yep. Never mind. Bloody freezing as well, but when you're on a mission these things are just part of it.

Stopped at Taihape for a quick break, then onto the desert road where it was even colder and wetter. Swapped the gloves for some dry ones and made it into Turangi and parked up at the cabins. Down to the truckstop for dinner, it's a great place that, real Kiwi Kai. Slept really well with the heater on all night to dry out the gear.

Morning broke dry and clear so it's into Taupo for brekkie and gas, then up to Tirau, Matamata, and pretty much non stop to AK.

The Gixxer's were running superbly, and it was great to have them both out together. They look real fine as a pair and I was really in the rythmm with them.

After a good run down the Southern Motorway and over the Bridge we discover that due to roadworks the sign for Devonport has been removed! Doh. So a stop just up the line, consult the map and we're heading south again to Takapuna. We spot a couple of late model Gixxers parked up and sure enough the guys are just waiting for another so we tag along down to Devonport Wharf. There's plenty of late model Gixxers and even a yellow ZX10 and everyone gets busy snapping pics. Then it's a couple of quick relocates and the shoot is done. Should be some good shots in amongst the 100's of pics that must have been taken.

Good to meet briefly some of the AK crew, and after a quick OJ and a few more pics we head south again. Destination Te Kuiti.

We'd discovered that the Gixxer's range is just over 200 kms at open road speeds. I went onto reserve at Huntly so a gas stop was necessary. Into Ngarawahia and off SH 1. This road through the King Country is bloody marvelous, although quite heavily infested and a couple a cars were unfortunate enough to have to make a donation. In real sneaky locations too.

My sixth sense was working well though and we made it through the waters with no unpleasantness.

Arrived at Te Kuiti just on nightfall and made for the camping ground. Wow, what an experience. No cabins available so we were shown into the Villa. Great place, lovely old home, ensuite, all the comforts, and a great Maori guy who owns and runs the place. Turns out he travels the world six months of the year and spends the rest running tours of the area. Even had dinner cooked by a Dutch backpacker who just happened to be a chef.

Morning. Rain. Wets. Very good run down to Taumarunui in the rain. Breakfast and texts to Tony (Ynot slow) who's leaving Hawera in the dry and clear. Great!

Now for the moment we'd been waiting for. The Forgotton Highway. As we jump on the bikes, the skies start to clear and the sun eases through the mist. Start the run onto the FH and it's all good, road is just heaven, and starting to steam as it dries off.

It winds and twists into the heart of the King Country, over ridges, down into the valleys, up over the saddles, and through the most incredible first generation native bush and river systems. I was highly tempted to go for a dive into some of the pools, but think I will leave that for summer. The tunnel was very cool and we got some great shots of the bikes going back and forth a few times, the motors sounding really good bouncing off the walls. The gravel is a piece of cake, really hard packed and happened to be damp. No problems whatsoever.

Then it's into Whangamomona where we meet up with Ynot slow, Cressie and Mrs Cressie plus numerous other bikers and patrons enjoying the sunshine at the Hotel. The publican makes us very welcome indeed, very biker friendly, owns a Blackbird in fact. We get the guided tour and spend a very pleasant hour shooting the breeze.

Then it's saddle up time and back into even more twistier twists, up and downhill. Just superb and we get some really great pics! The top of the ridge where one bursts into view of both mountains is mindblowing!!! I manage to leave behind a few filings of Gixxer exhaust pipe as well lol.

We meet a bloke on a beautifully restored 65 Triumph Thunderbird and have great fun chasing each other down into Stratford

Then it's say goodbye to the Cressies and we head down to Hawera for a fantastic bbq at Tony and Jeanines place. Thanks you guys, that was a great way to finish off a really fantastic day! Really appreciated it See you down here soon

Leave Hawera just after nightfall and have a good clear run home. Total trip 1201 trouble free kms

Pics here pg 66 onwards. Sorry, not sue how to link directly to them.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=55645

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    great write up!! I did the forgotten highway one night thinking it would be a short cut to hamilton from hawera...dam was I wrong...I was fortunatly in the car and had the bike on the trailer...what a never ending ordial it was...given it was dark and I never really got to see the sights that your guys will have...the tunnel thats just dug through the side of a hill with just dirt showning inside is a bit of a sight!!! would be a whoot to do the road in day light hours on a trailie I reckon!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    GSXR750G Daytona 955 Tiger DR650 ZRX1200
    Wow, the FH at night with a trailer would have been a mission. Bet it was late one! The views are stunning, highly recommended on the bike!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aa1.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	614.0 KB 
ID:	74068   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aa2.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	429.1 KB 
ID:	74069   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aa4.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	407.3 KB 
ID:	74070   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	aa5.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	665.8 KB 
ID:	74071  

Thread Information