Page 11 of 55 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheesecutter campaign

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    I like the idea of 'officials running around madly...'
    What say.... Q1 is asked by Hitcher through Mark Burton, Q2 by Ixion through Marion Hobbs, Q3 by Jim2 through Simon Power....etc.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Ubrfarter V Klunkn,ffwabbit,Petal,phoebe
    Derived from the fact that once (and perhaps still FAIK) , the documents were physically placed on a table in front of the Speaker, where any MP was at liberty to peruse them.
    Quote Originally Posted by skidmark
    This world has lost it's drive, everybody just wants to fit in the be the norm as it were.
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil Vincent
    The manufacturers go to a lot of trouble to find out what the average rider prefers, because the maker who guesses closest to the average preference gets the largest sales. But the average rider is mainly interested in silly (as opposed to useful) “goodies” to try to kid the public that he is riding a racer

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
    Oi've been thinking.
    I like how you think!
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    I like the idea of 'officials running around madly...'
    What say.... Q1 is asked by Hitcher through Mark Burton, Q2 by Ixion through Marion Hobbs, Q3 by Jim2 through Simon Power....etc.
    That has merit. Discuss this first with Chris Tremain, seeing as he fired the first salvo, to see if he has the appetite to become a bit of a political champion for this cause or any other ideas he has about how the Nats may like to play with this.
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    Roger wilco!
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Email sent....
    Hi Chris

Thank you for the prompt response and answers. Those answers do nothing to indicate that Transit are taking our concerns seriously (yet) and I have been asked to sound you out on whether you would be interested in becoming 'our political champion' in this matter. There are a number of further questions we are keen to put to the Min.of Transport. Some of us think that we may be better to put one question through each of several different MPs, but my position is that co-ordinating with one MP who is 'on our side' would yield a better result.
    I look forward to your reply.

Regards
    mstrs

Bike
    None any more
    Nice work.

A little biker waits...
    "Standing on your mother's corpse you told me that you'd wait forever." [Bryan Adams: Summer of 69]

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Nice work.

A little biker waits...
    *sits with hitch* now a not so little biker waits.

nice work mstrs. 127k? thats bull dust. maybe the different styles of wire rope indicate different brands? ie, the straight through triple rope is one, and the twisted double rope is another.
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    EX500s - Ruby
    Quote Originally Posted by sunhuntin View Post
    *sits with hitch* now a not so little biker waits.

nice work mstrs. 127k? thats bull dust. maybe the different styles of wire rope indicate different brands? ie, the straight through triple rope is one, and the twisted double rope is another.
    Correct. The question will be re-asked as to all types...
    Diarrhoea is hereditary - it runs in your jeans

If my nose was running money, I'd blow it all on you...

Bike
    Moto Guzzi V7
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitcher View Post
    Here's four for starters to help dig a slightly deeper hole for the Minister:

1. What is the basis of "compliance testing" on road barriers of all types erected in New Zealand? Does this include testing barriers once erected to ensure compliance with manufacturers' standards and, if so, what does this involve?

2. Is the Minister aware of moves by European countries to ban and remove WRB systems -- for safety reasons? How does he reconcile this with the "compliance testing" allegedly conducted by TNZ? (Seek leave to table before the House the relevant supporting documents)

3. What length of WRB is currently erected on New Zealand roads administered by TNZ? What plans are in place to erect more WRB and what lengths/distances are involved?

4. In answer to PQ# the Minister claimed that TNZ's review of the performance of WRB systems stated that these barriers had prevented a number of potentially serious crashes over years. Could the Minister please reveal how many crashes, the vehicle types involved, the location and type of WRB system erected, and TNZ's basis for determining "seriousness"?

I hope the Honorable Minister is as cute in answering these as he was with his first lot. "Cute" is a game two can play...
    Maybe question 5 should be
    5. How many people have actually been injured when colliding with WRB's, and how many have died.?

6. What steps are you takeing to reduce these deaths and mainings?

Bike
    None any more
    Quote Originally Posted by WelshWizard View Post
    5. How many people have actually been injured when colliding with WRB's, and how many have died.?

Let's save these for "Round 3".

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    The answers came back from Harry Duynhoven...
    1.TNZs policy for the installation of a wire rope barrier system is the same as for all road safety barrier systems. That policy is that a barrier treatment is a recourse only when the risk of leaving the road cannot be managed the the removal, relocation or re-engineering of the hazard. A compliance tested barrier system is then selected that is appropriate to the nature of the hazard being avoided, the type of road traffic, and the road.
    That's a good indication of the thinking behind WRB installations on the left side of some stretches. There's obviously no consideration of the disparity between what's safe for "standard" cages and everything else, including bikes.

Doesn't ecxplain some LH installations though, I've seen WRB "protecting" us from perfectly negotiable grass verge...

Quote Originally Posted by WelshWizard View Post

I'd be very carefull there, even trimmed of doublespeak the answers may not serve us well. Unlike some I have no doubt WRBs do actually represent a viable safety option, for family saloons in some instances. I expect genuine historic data will support that, it's just that they're a serious liability for anything else.

The problem with the numbers is that, given that the majority of road users are (arguably) advantaged by these things any supporting stat's will always look like a reasonable cost/benefit decision has been made. Perhaps a better aproach is to force comparisons with barrier systems which perform better for all forms of transport. That, and continue to stress how dangerous WRBs are to bikers in particular.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    Moto Guzzi V7
    I just heard that Dan ( Back __fire ) was not the first biker to be killed in NZ by these things, it would seem some one was killed a few years ago by them, Still trying to get more info from the person who told me about it, unless some one on KB knows about or has a link.

Bike
    Someone was killed in Welly, after striking Armco posts. In 2000, if I remember right. They were decapitated.

Bike
    Have heard last night that indeed a biker was killed some few years ago, by striking cheesecutter. Was the brother of my step-son's boss. The boss rides too, and we are working on getting hold of him with a view to him joining our ranks...
    In the meantime, here is an article I wrote for the local free weekly, the NapierMail. Hope it is readable, as they don't have the page online.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	napiermail.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	109.3 KB 
ID:	82671  

Thread Information