Page 3 of 55 FirstFirst 123451353 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheesecutter campaign

Bike
    The UK Motorcycle Action Group have been instrumental in changing and challenging laws in the UK. Perhaps if no-one said anything then nothing would be done.

http://www.mag-uk.org/index2.html
    They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the evening,
    we will remember them

Bike
    2017 Low Rider S
    What about using the ride to raise money for something like either WP rescue, or even an independent enquiry into fixes or something.

Might add to the profile of the ride, and get people to see we are serious
    Life is a like a box of chocolates; People are like Onions; The key to success is.......

Fuck it, let's ride!

Bike
    2008 KTM SuperDuke R
    Quote Originally Posted by Ozzie View Post
    What about using the ride to raise money for something like either WP rescue, or even an independent enquiry into fixes or something.

Raising money for the Westpac Trust Helicopter (or local equivalent in Wgn or Chch) would be a great idea. Not only are us 'dirty anti-social' bikers trying to get something changed but helping a damn good cause into the bargain.

Bike
    Mine

Not a good idea. Let's not give people something to take their attention away from our core message.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    More from M.A.G.
    Campaign material - here
    These barriers have not been banned in the UK but they are being lobbied hard to be removed and banned.
    They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the evening,
    we will remember them

Bike
    None
    Just keep doing protest/rides until they fix the problem

-Indy
    Hey, kids! Captain Hero here with Getting Laid Tip 213 - The Backrub Buddy!

Find a chick who’s just been dumped and comfort her by massaging her shoulders, and soon, she’ll be massaging your prostate.

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Another way of trying to get the message across is to enlist the aid of each newspaper's editor....this was my attempt.

Dear Sir

I spoke the other day with Roger Moroney in his capacity as both motoring reporter and motorcyclist. I hope he has realised the depth of concern that most motorcyclists have over (so-called) safety barriers, in particular Armco and especially the WRB (cheesecutter) type. A young man (Daniel Evans) was killed over Labour W/e after hitting one of these and it has sparked a huge outcry by motorcyclists.

The problem with these two types is mostly the posts that support them. The W-section metal of the Armco allows a body to slip under and hit the support posts, and the wires of the WRB type only increase the gaps for bodies to be sliced'n'diced.

For 20+ years BRONZ (Bike Riders Of NZ) have been lobbying Transit to install barriers that do not increase the risk of injury to motorcyclists (or anyone not inside a vehicle). To date, there has been no success in this campaign, despite all the warnings of un-necessary injury or death. In recent years, the WRB type have been increasingly utilised in many areas around the country, although thankfully not in HB. These barriers are an almost guaranteed death sentence for any body that strikes one, even at speeds of as little as 70kph. Many other countries have banned their use, or have fitted 'skirts' of some sort to cover the posts and wires.

The WRB type should also be of great concern to car drivers, because they are designed to keep a vehicle from crossing into the path of oncoming traffic yet will flex 3 metres or more out of line, which renders them useless when installed directly down the centre of an ordinary 2-way road.

I wonder if you would be interested in featuring this subject in your paper, or perhaps doing an editorial?

If you wish to check out these links, you will find ample evidence of arguments against and ways to 'fix' the problem.

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59344

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=56622

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=59348

http://www.network.mag-uk.org/barrie...kdistrict.html

Please don't hesitate to ring me if you need to know anything else, and I hope that you will give this situation as much publicity as possible.

Regards
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    "Bagheera" GSX1400K5
    Anyone got some good Slogans for "Bumper Stickers"?
    Something like:
    • Our lives are important too, make road barriers safer for all.
    New Zealand......
    The Best Place in the World to live if ya Broke

"Whole life balance, Daniel-San" ("Karate Kid")

Kia kaha, kia toa, kia manawanui ( Be strong, be brave, be steadfast and sure)
    DON'T RIDE LIKE YA STOLE IT, RIDE TO SURVIVE.

Bike
    2013 Suzuki Hayabusa
    Mobil Mercer or Bp and Caltex Bombay would be a good stating point.

Any thoughts on contacting the new Mayors for their support.

If it is a fine day an end point where they finish the round the bays it's a big open feild.

Just my 2 cents

Bike
    Moto Guzzi V7
    Kat and I will be on the Auckland one

The thing is to remember that you aren't allowed to play Union or League Rugby without the goalposts being wrapped up to protect the players from injury, we as riders are travelling faster than players can run, even if we are travelling at 50KPH, if we have been unseated from the bike for some reason if we come into cotact with these Cheese Cutters will cause major injuries, the wires used because of the way they are made are no more than a saw, so even slow speeds will cause major injury.

To be most affective the rides need to be timed to occur at the same time on the same day, My personal reaction to the run is that in later November is better as it will allow more time to organise and coordinate to gain the most affect.

THIS PROTEST MUST MAKE PEOPLE THINK THEN REACT AGAINST THE CHEESE CUTTERS AND NOT BLINDLY BELIEVE WHAT THEY ARE TOLD AS PER THE STATEMENT BY LTNZ AFTER THE TV3 NEWS UPDATE, ONLY TO HAVE A TRUCK GO STRAIGHT THOSE A CHEESE CUTTER RESULTING IN TWO DEATH, (IN TOTAL CONTRADICTION TO WHAT THEY STATED ON TV3)

THESE THINGS ARE KNOWN TO KILL AND MAIM, AND KNOWING THIS ONLY PUTS YOU IN THE SAME CLASS AS A MURDERER IF IT'S IN YOUR POWER TO DO SOME THING ABOUT THEM.

Also has anyone approached any Motorcycle Cop to find out if they will ride when off duty, they are as much at risk as every other biker, and if questioned must have the same fear of these Cheese Cutters as us.

Media coverage is going to be there, it must not be a damp squid, only by getting the largest possible amount of bikers to ride will we have any chance of getting our message across so those that don't ride but are feeling safe in their cars will take notice,

Is there any way we could get some posters made up that show graphic scene of the affects of these Cheese cutters out there to mark the route being used, it's time to shock the general public into realising these things are killing us, not just bikers but car and truck drivers to, once the car drivers realise they are also at risk then a petition will gain strength.

Sorry I am rambling so will end, even though I have much I would like to say.

Bike
    Undecided
    I agree. As much planning as possible needs to go into this. And a route that is as public as possible without causing danger to the riders involved. Someone in Auckland on Thursday made a comment that there should be one ride. I myself would ride to Wellington or Auckland. Wherever our voices are going to be heard. I think some local Auckland riders need to sit down and nut this one out..

Bike
    10 speed 1995
    For newspapers you need pics.

I don't know Auckland but I reckon that if someone (news photographer or KBer got a shot of bikes going by the Haywards cutters that could be just the ticket. Might need transits permission or co-operation on that one just to stop somewhere and get positioned for snapping the grater / bikers shot?!

Bike
    2015 Triumph Bonneville America LT
    Just to ask a question here. The reading I have done indicates that the damage is most likely to occurer when you hit the supporting posts in the "cheese cutter" barrier.

So you get hurt when you hit something solid.

The question I have is, how is it different hitting a concrete centre barrier at 100kph+ as opposed to the cheese grater post.

My gut feeling is I would rather chance hitting a post on these barriers that the concrete ones, as there is no gaps in the concrete.

Is this problem a perceptial one rather than a real one?
    I feel like I'm diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Bike
    2017 Low Rider S
    Quote Originally Posted by Lil_Byte View Post
    Just to ask a question here. The reading I have done indicates that the damage is most likely to occurer when you hit the supporting posts in the "cheese cutter" barrier.

So you get hurt when you hit something solid.

The question I have is, how is it different hitting a concrete centre barrier at 100kph+ as opposed to the cheese grater post.

My gut feeling is I would rather chance hitting a post on these barriers that the concrete ones, as there is no gaps in the concrete.

Is this problem a perceptial one rather than a real one?
    My understanding is......

It comes down to speed and angle.

If you hit a concrete barrier on a slight angle, you will slide along it, similar to hitting the road.

Hit the cheese cutters, and posts under armco for that matter, you will hit one or more, they will grab, and rip.

Hit the wire, it will cut.
    Life is a like a box of chocolates; People are like Onions; The key to success is.......

Fuck it, let's ride!

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    My understanding is......

It comes down to speed and angle.

If you hit a concrete barrier on a slight angle, you will slide along it, similar to hitting the road.

Hit the cheese cutters, and posts under armco for that matter, you will hit one or more, they will grab, and rip.

Hit the wire, it will cut.
    That is correct. The angle of impact makes a big difference, but in normal (so to speak) circumstances 'you' will hit at a shallow angle and slide along a smooth, unbroken surface.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Thread Information