Page 45 of 55 FirstFirst ... 354344454647 ... LastLast

Thread: Cheesecutter campaign

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeymcbean View Post
    Okay, its most likely covered here somewhere in all these posts, but I think they can modidfy these wire rope barriers to make them safer for motorcyclist, buy adding a top rail and a runner board along the sides..(broken down simply here),
    Not as far as I know. There are various products utilised with Armco (mototub is a tube laid under the rail to cover the posts). But nothing for WRB. A fellow in Paraparaumu developed a sleeve to cover this shit...Transit/NZTA did not want to know.
    For us, the wire/s are almost as bad as the posts, but what the wires do is 'direct' a body into the posts...chop chop...
    The posts are made of friable metal (hard, but brittle). We don't break them, but cars do. Technically, a heavy-ish vehicle with a steel bar poking out the side could drive along, smashing all the posts as it goes.
    A gas-axe or large bolt cutters could part the wire/s. The now-loose wire whipping free would not be a problem to the person doing the cutting...but don't stand down-wire of that person...
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by monkeymcbean View Post
    Oh, I must be mis informed, ...
    I was referring to suggested attemps to cut the wires as a way of destroying the WRBs. Because of the enormous tension the wire is under any attempt to cut them would result in a sudden and potentially fatal release of said pressure.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    R1150RT
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    I was referring to suggested attemps to cut the wires as a way of destroying the WRBs. Because of the enormous tension the wire is under any attempt to cut them would result in a sudden and potentially fatal release of said pressure.
    A short length of cortex stand well clear and sweet as .

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by Bald Eagle View Post
    A short length of cortex stand well clear and sweet as .
    Sounds like a plan. Now who has the guts (or perhaps stupidity) to implement it?
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.
    Quote Originally Posted by thealmightytaco View Post
    You talkin' crazy man, nothing is here to stay. Fart tax was about to be here to stay till someone drove a tractor up the parliament steps, and our rego's were gonna be astronomic till bikoi's etc, reducing them to mere stratospheric. If folks want to let the powers that be know that they things these are lethal to those not in a cage because they forgot to think of that scenario, then so be it.

You've been brainwashed by the system man, like, far out.

And selfish? Ya reckon? If it kills 4 motorcyclists to save one SUV, does that make them okay? That sounds selfish on the part of the SUV to me. And believe it or not, there are options that are safe for all, and that's all anyone's trying to let anyone know.
    I'm not brainwashed at all. I can see the bigger picture and are able to see outside the box, which is your KB motorcyclists limited view. The fact is that the typical farm fence is fatal if its hit at speed. So why is it that you all can ride beside them and not the wire cable type barrier? The real rediculous thing is that your debate for banning wire cable type barriers is seriously flawed. Plus the fact that there are often other routes that can be taken by a motorcyclist trying to avoid them. Plus if a motorcyclist rides responsibly, there is no reason why they should even get close to one if they travel a road with them. This site has traditionally been bikers who bleat about things they don't like or getting caught doing stupid shit. This whole cheese cutter campaign is taking it to a new level and quite unrealistic. The fact is that if motorcycling is getting too risky for some, then its time they sell their motorcycle(s). Likewise if the registration is getting too much. Plus if it saves 1 SUV, its likely to have several people in it. There might be safer options, the safest would be to not ride a motorcycle at all. Plus if that option was taken, no one would need to be upset over the cost of registration.
    Those who insist on perfect safety, don't have the balls to live in the real world.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by inlinefour View Post
    there is no reason why they should even get close to one
    the reason could simply be a cager don't driving responsibly.
    not so much time ago, one of ours got a stair in the middle of the highway. the cars preceding him covered the sight, so he found the stair at 20 meters in front of him in speed and didn't manage to avoid...

The fact is that if motorcycling is getting too risky for some, then its time they sell their motorcycle
    man, this is truly a non-sense. has your car safety belts? why then? you could simply sell your car and go with the tube...

Bike
    BMW r1200r
    www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/esv19/05-0095-O.pdf

Hmmm, this survey result was of various types of barriers and resulting motorcycle collision, on re reading on pg 8 was a runner board installed on the uprights so the there is not so much snagging occuring to the motorbike and rider. It was a runner board not installed on the wire rope style barrier thou it seems this sort of modification should be able to work for these barriers if Transit keep installing these styles at a prolific rate they appear to be in my eyes.
    Just remember... "wherever you go, there you are" .....Buckaroo Banzai 1984

Bike
    BMW r1200r
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Not as far as I know. There are various products utilised with Armco (mototub is a tube laid under the rail to cover the posts). But nothing for WRB. A fellow in Paraparaumu developed a sleeve to cover this shit...Transit/NZTA did not want to know.
    For us, the wire/s are almost as bad as the posts, but what the wires do is 'direct' a body into the posts...chop chop...
    The posts are made of friable metal (hard, but brittle). We don't break them, but cars do. Technically, a heavy-ish vehicle with a steel bar poking out the side could drive along, smashing all the posts as it goes.
    A gas-axe or large bolt cutters could part the wire/s. The now-loose wire whipping free would not be a problem to the person doing the cutting...but don't stand down-wire of that person...

www-nrd.nhtsa.dot.gov/pdf/esv/esv19/05-0095-O.pdf

Hmmm, this survey result was of various types of barriers and resulting motorcycle collision, on re reading on pg 8 was a runner board installed on the uprights so the there is not so much snagging occuring to the motorbike and rider. It was a runner board not installed on the wire rope style barrier thou it seems this sort of modification should be able to work for these barriers if Transit keep installing these styles at a prolific rate they appear to be in my eyes.

p.s. I did not realise it could be so easy to take those things out...

Bike
    BMW r1200r
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    Sounds like a plan. Now who has the guts (or perhaps stupidity) to implement it?
    Im sure if nothing is done about it or no one is listening, and there are more motorcycle fatilities or injuries involving WRB, why not, I don't think you need guts or be stupid, someone or people will get feed up and take things into there own hands, unfortunately like in alot of cases it will take more fatilities and injuries for people to get motivated.

Bike
    2008 Kettweisel Style.
    Quote Originally Posted by Urano View Post
    the reason could simply be a cager don't driving responsibly.
    not so much time ago, one of ours got a stair in the middle of the highway. the cars preceding him covered the sight, so he found the stair at 20 meters in front of him in speed and didn't manage to avoid...

man, this is truly a non-sense. has your car safety belts? why then? you could simply sell your car and go with the tube...
    It makes perfect sense, its just that you have to think about it as a general road user and not a motorcyclist. If a motorcyclist does not ride defensively then its just a matter of time until they find themself in a dangerous situation. So why are you lot blaming the road barriers, other road users and/or anything other than the individual motorcyclist? Your whole campaign against the wire cable road barriers is pointless and does nothing but lay false blame. When its up to each individual who rides a motorcycle to ride responsibly and accept the fact that what they are doing is potentially dangerous.
    Those who insist on perfect safety, don't have the balls to live in the real world.

Bike
    RC36, RC31, KR-E, CR125
    as I've said before, why are bikers required to ride within their lanes to survive when car drivers are not?
    "A shark on whiskey is mighty risky, but a shark on beer is a beer engineer" - Tad Ghostal

Bike
    motorcycle to ride responsibly
    well...
    my point is already clear.
    i only want to add that today riding with responsibility is no more enough: you have to ride with "circumspection"

Bike
    ... a general road user ...
    Everybody who operates a vehicle of any sort, on a road, is a 'general road-user'. We are not special, and we are not asking to be treated differently. The complete opposite, actually. The fact is that barriers are installed for 'safety' purposes (what other reason is there) and should work for all.
    I hear what you say about farm fences. Yes, going into one of those is not a good thing. However...the difference there is that generally, the fence is quite some way off the road, whereas WRB are often literally within inches of the road edge. And by 'edge', I mean the solid line marking...not the seal edge. Also, I've yet to see a farm fence taking the place of the dotted lane markings.
    The other difference is that there are many stories of bikers going through a wire farm fence and surviving... not too many where WRBs are concerned.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Just been made aware of the latest piece of dismembering road furniture...
    http://www.csppacific.co.nz/Gallery....ctid=nuguard31 Look at photo #1
    Just look at what you are presented with as you slide diagonally off the road into the road safety feature...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	armco support po&#11.JPG 
Views:	3 
Size:	103.3 KB 
ID:	203777  

Bike
    2010 Honda CB1000R Predator
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Just been made aware of the latest piece of dismembering road furniture...
    http://www.csppacific.co.nz/Gallery....ctid=nuguard31 Look at photo #1
    Just look at what you are presented with as you slide diagonally off the road into the road safety feature...
    Itr really needs a second rail to prevent a bike/human from sliding under the top rail and getting smacked or cut up.

Thread Information