Quote Originally Posted by Pixie View Post
    Kiwis are too busy working on their apathy
    quasi said he would not stop...

Bike
    RF900
    100% support

Bike
    A
    I'm kinda on the fence on this subject. Reading in the Dominion Post today, the Kapiti Coast bike paramedic is not bothered about WRBs. It's along the lines of, WRBs are better than no barriers, and it's not as if bikers are being maimed en-masse by WRBs in NZ. Or are the statistics fudged completely?

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by caspernz View Post
    I'm kinda on the fence on this subject. Reading in the Dominion Post today, the Kapiti Coast bike paramedic is not bothered about WRBs. It's along the lines of, WRBs are better than no barriers, and it's not as if bikers are being maimed en-masse by WRBs in NZ. Or are the statistics fudged completely?
    Simple problem is that if you hit them, you're going to come off worse than if you hit concrete (with less points of impact to maim/alter your course of direction). Seems no-one really thinks of it, yet it can't be argued either.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Mine
    The problem I have with WRBs is not how much of a hazard they are (they're probably no worse than a farm fence put close to the road). It's that they're installed in the name of safety. Anything with a safety related purpose must not decrease safety for anyone. Imagine if the negatively affected group were Maori instead of motorcyclists. They would have never even gotten of the drawing board.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Triple Delight
    it's not as if bikers are being maimed en-masse by WRBs in NZ. Or are the statistics fudged completely?
    No, bikers are not being injured enmass by them. However, they have the potential to be very lethal to bikers in the event we should come into contact with them over 7okph.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Simple problem is that if you hit them, you're going to come off worse than if you hit concrete (with less points of impact to maim/alter your course of direction). Seems no-one really thinks of it, yet it can't be argued either.
    I guess where a lot of folk come from, it wont matter what you hit, IF excessive speed is a problem.

MY biggest issue with them though, is any kind of mechanical failure, tyre blowout, or what have you with my Millie that results in a "wobble/loss of control" could take off an arm or a leg or even kill me if it happened next to a WRB. I come from the pathetic type of biker that generally follows the speed rules, and travelling at the open road speed limit places me at a risk I can not mitigate should something go wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    It's that they're installed in the name of safety. Anything with a safety related purpose must not decrease safety for anyone.
    Be SHHHHHHHHH! You are talking sense. That can not be seen to be acknowledged.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    Honda,Black,Shadow 750

Question Death by Wire Barrier

I heard the tail-end of a radio news item about a rider of a Harley being killed in the Wellington area. I heard it at 6:00am Only just awake. Has any-one else heard any thing about a crash of a biker into a Cheese Cutter Barrier in the last coule of days. Regards Richard
    Regards Richard
    Growing old is mandatory Growing up is purely optional
    Retired teenager

Bike
    Its a Boat
    Quote Originally Posted by thehovel View Post
    I heard the tail-end of a radio news item about a rider of a Harley being killed in the Wellington area. I heard it at 6:00am Only just awake. Has any-one else heard any thing about a crash of a biker into a Cheese Cutter Barrier in the last coule of days. Regards Richard
    Its all in here Richard...http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...post1130312226

Thread Information