Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Forgotten Highway (25 November)

Bike
    Concours 14, S10

The Forgotten Highway (25 November)

You wanted it now here it is!

Date 25 November 2007.

Suggested route/plan:
    • Meet @ BP Rangatiki 07:50. Leaving Palmy @ 08:00.
    • Cruise on up to Stratford and stop for a coffee/petrol break
    • Head on up Highway 43 stopping whenever people might want to take snaps etc.
    • Lunch in Whangamomona.
    • Next gas stop Tamarunui or Turangi.
    • Potter on down highway 1 and stop either at Flat Hills or Mangaweka for another coffee/petrol stop.
    • Home to Palmy over Vinegar Hill.
    • Should be back mid-late arvo.
    Map here

Calendar thingee here
    Last edited by banditrider; 22nd November 2007 at 16:59. Reason: Been told too!

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    doubles with waiarapa sprints and another weekend added on to the 5 in a row I will have been out and about so unfortuantely I am out. Bummer really. Have to set another one up mid summer.

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    1998 RF900

hell yeah

I'm in...Might be going two up, will see though..

Bike
    Hornet 900
    Is 43 the forgotten bit?
    Looks like a great ride, hope to do this one day but will probably be checking out the sprints.

Bike
    GSXR750G Daytona 955 Tiger DR650 ZRX1200
    Sounds good and I'm tentatively in, bearing in mind I may have to work. Although I suggest an early lunch at the Whangamomona Hotel as I think we'll need it by then. It's at least 3 1/2 - 4 hrs Palmie to Whanga, taking into account gas stops and pics. The place is a bit of a legend too and going in this direction we'll hit the most intense parts of the road after Whanga. The Hotel is a great place to soak up the atmosphere of the area. Afternoon tea and gas in Taumarunui/Turangi?

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Kendog View Post
    Is 43 the forgotten bit?
    Looks like a great ride, hope to do this one day but will probably be checking out the sprints.
    It sure is, aka The Forgotton World Highway. Simply amazing road!!! Most highly recommended!

Edit. Check here for report and pics - pg 65 on

http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...ad.php?t=55645

Bike
    Concours 14
    Ill be there........ as long as the sea isnt flat, and the weather plays ball

Bike
    07 GIXXER 75OOOHHHH

petrol

Guys quick note,the petrol station on main rd at Hawera is out of commission with major rebuild,there is another one in Eltham which is still getting tanks as well,this may be ok by then.
    There are 3 other gas stations in Hawera and am happy to show you,might go for a ride from Hawera.
    Hello officer put it on my tab

Don't steal the government hates competition.

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800
    Quote Originally Posted by cowboyz View Post
    . Have to set another one up mid summer.
    Yeah I cant do that day but would be keen to go at a later date
    Experience......something you get just after you needed it

Bike
    600RR3
    Did this road once, a couple of years ago after visiting Shaun Harris for some suspension set up help. Quite an experience. Saw about 3 cars in 150km on that week day. One of my fave rides.

Bike
    2006 Suzuki GSF1200S
    Yeah, I'll be there rain or shine

Bike
    Concours 14, S10
    Quote Originally Posted by 86GSXR View Post
    Sounds good and I'm tentatively in, bearing in mind I may have to work. Although I suggest an early lunch at the Whangamomona Hotel as I think we'll need it by then. It's at least 3 1/2 - 4 hrs Palmie to Whanga, taking into account gas stops and pics. The place is a bit of a legend too and going in this direction we'll hit the most intense parts of the road after Whanga. The Hotel is a great place to soak up the atmosphere of the area. Afternoon tea and gas in Taumarunui/Turangi?
    Open to suggestions re stops etc. Seeing as you & Meanie know the road you've probably got a few more clues about times etc. Would prefer to limit stops on the boring bits (ie getting up there and then back from Tamarunui) but keen to take in the scenery on the Forgotten Highway itself and get some pics to match yours!

The Concours should be able to do it with only one stop for gas but we'll have to fit in with whoever has the smallest range so these stops might be ideal for coffee/lunch??? Keen to just have a relaxed ride and go with the flow...

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    ashhurst to stratford is 207km. My mapping program has it at 2 hours 38min but in reality it is a pretty easy 2 hour trip.

Then FH is 151km and 2 hours 2 mins according to this. When Menie and I went across we stopped a couple of times and had a chat and took our time and it we left stratford at 10:45am and got to Taumaranui at 12:46pm. Although in a bigger group I would be thinking more like 4 or 5 hours to get across FH.

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    BMW K1200S
    As a local to the area & a frequent rider of SH43 I would HIGHLY recommend stopping @ the Whangamomona pub for lunch & for those that haven't got one yet, a Whanga passport

Cost's $3 & the proceeds support the local school

BTW, yep im in for thise ride for sure, but ill prolly turn off @ Taumaranui & head west to the coast & back down to New Plymouth for any other local riders wanting to op for this.
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends. To appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by banditrider View Post
    Open to suggestions re stops etc. Seeing as you & Meanie know the road you've probably got a few more clues about times etc. Would prefer to limit stops on the boring bits (ie getting up there and then back from Tamarunui) but keen to take in the scenery on the Forgotten Highway itself and get some pics to match yours!

The Concours should be able to do it with only one stop for gas but we'll have to fit in with whoever has the smallest range so these stops might be ideal for coffee/lunch??? Keen to just have a relaxed ride and go with the flow...
    Sounds good. The Daytona will need fuel at Stratford and then will be fine for Turangi although MWV8 and Chanceyy will need to gas at Taumarunui.

There's literally dozens of photo ops on the FH. It took Sarah and I two hours to get from Taumarunui to Whangamomona which is only 88 km. The atmosphere in the various places is just too good to hurry through. So as Cowboyz says below its quite feasible that the FH alone could take 3 - 4 hrs. The road itself can be ridden quite quickly between stops which just adds to the experience. I do recommend a rest stop at the Hotel which is just under halfway. Totally agree with not stopping at the boring bits

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyz View Post
    ashhurst to stratford is 207km. My mapping program has it at 2 hours 38min but in reality it is a pretty easy 2 hour trip.

Then FH is 151km and 2 hours 2 mins according to this. When Menie and I went across we stopped a couple of times and had a chat and took our time and it we left stratford at 10:45am and got to Taumaranui at 12:46pm. Although in a bigger group I would be thinking more like 4 or 5 hours to get across FH.
    Spot on! Shame you can't make it this time, but this is one road that will be different every time!

Thread Information