Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Chanceyy’s excellent South Island adventure

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6

Chanceyy’s excellent South Island adventure

it’s a novel …

Part one the trip down

Well here is the 1st tour report of what is hoped to be many more to come. I think I have been bitten by the bug for sure

A plan was hatched about 6 weeks ago, to get some serious mileage under the butt in preparation for the 1000k ride to Gisborne in several weeks time, to met some of the south island crew at the KB birthday party bash, & take the opportunity to met another friend who was also going to check Betsy out & give me his opinion on her and say hi person to person of course.

So Thursday nite 5pm rocked on & left directly from work, text to AJturbo to say I was on my way & we would meet at Paekakariki look out. Unfortunately AJ did not realise I was leaving directly from work, & I arrived at the look out took the opportunity to get the first pics of Betsy with the gear loaded.. talked to a couple of new riders who turned up, and thought crap AJ is taking ages, by the way it was windy & damn freezing so put gear back on. After waiting about 45 mins, was about to head down the hill to take shelter from the wind when AJ & Luke rocked on up

Now my opps moment & lesson 1

Went to get on Betsy & due to the wind had put her on the centre stand so took her off & did not think to put side stand down, as I went to get on gust of wind set me off balance & over we both went there is another clutch lever broken, but I managed to pick her up myself ( lesson learnt have side stand down to get on bike it helps to stablise her ) whew got back on & ride back to Newlands .. thanks for the needit, & bed guys

Tootled off to the ferry arrived about 6.45am text dogs who was up and about so waited to be boarded, as the loading guys were on the lookout for me no probs, apart from having to teach them how to use the handlebar bra ..

Off up stairs to catch up with dogs dropped my gear off in his cabin and then a quick bite to eat a few hot choccy drinks later & it was off to the bridge, where we spent most of the sailing, awesome view for sure & a few dodgy pics taken Thanks dogs that was one awesome sailing .. great to catch up and chat … even better since the water was pretty smooth as well

Being first off the ferry was a bonus, and immediately noticed the temp was about 5 degrees warmer than the north island .. had thermal & mohair jersey on for the trip so opened the summer vents & rocked off to Blenheim for the first fuel stop since leaving home.

Talked to a couple who were heading north to catch the inter islander & they advised weather in Kaikoura was fantastic but it was really windy between Blenheim & Seddon .. they were not wrong, really gusty cross winds that you needed to be ready for

Followed a truck & trailer unit up the twisties before Seddon & stuff was running out the back of the trays not sure wot it was so rode really really close to the centre line to avoid it, almost to the top & spied the metal on the back so must have just got a load outta the river & it was only water coming out the back .. but no way was I riding thorugh it til I knew wot it was

After leaving the wind behind in Seddon/Ward area & just past Kekerengu noted a wee pull off area that gave a great unhindered view of the ocean, turned around & parked Betsy up for a quick picture opportunity chance to have an apple & get some water, and text my progress report to several ppl.

Made it to kaikoura bout 2 in the afternoon & gassed up Betsy off to get some lunch .. great place just off the main drag first shop on left called “by the bridge” great hamburger

Received a text to advise rug up warm the temp is seriously dropping further south, was already seriously hot so decided to leave the same gear on & will do up the summer vents when it got cooler… did not have to wait long about 5-10 ks south of kaikoura the temp dropped bout 10 degrees & just got colder the further south I went. Had an awesome run through the twisties around the Hundalees. Nice dry roads, polite drivers who let me through and really found a groove. Was totally an awesome place to practice the weighting of the pegs that Mstrs showed me the other weekend .. & what a difference it made

Stopped in Amberly to gas up Betsy again (realised it was only 182 ks from kaikoura to chch but have never tested Betsy’s range before, but did on the return trip .. more bout that later) at this time my hands were quite cold so throw on my winter weight gloves had a quick drink & set off for the last leg

Had a few spots of rain & low & behold along the motorway outside Chch rode through quite a heavy downpour, thought bugger it am close to my destination so did not bother stopping to put rain covers on bags (clothes already in waterproof bags) and rode out of it within several ks back onto dry roads (go figure) found motel no hassle & did not take long to get a hot shower & feel revived again

Spied about 8 cops in total on trip down but they missed me on the straights where I opened Betsy up & was always being a good girl although I thought AJ & I were gonna get done coming through Pauatahanui, I am sure we were both going well over the speed limit
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st tour chch oct 07 001.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	59.0 KB 
ID:	74755   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st tour chch oct 07 003.JPG 
Views:	90 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	74756   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st tour chch oct 07 005.JPG 
Views:	133 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	74757   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st tour chch oct 07 008.JPG 
Views:	27 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	74758   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st tour chch oct 07 010.JPG 
Views:	49 
Size:	55.7 KB 
ID:	74759   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st tour chch oct 07 011.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	74760  
    Have to Karma ... Justice catches up eventually !!

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6

Part two " the weekend"

Sat dawned sunny but damn southerly wind sure kept tempt down, so time to catch up with muh friend & go shopping .. got the bits for Betsy (including new clutch lever ) and back to the motel for a few repairs, found the reason for the oil splatter & discussed decoking the pipes (she is booked to fix these tomorrow)
    Since his bike was not running drove some of the nice twisty roads just outta chch .. 10 points for each biker & runner & walker we passed .. easily a few hundred points would have been gained.. awesome scenery, roads that ashhurst boyz would love for sure .. I will be back to ride this road definitely.
    Great lunch, fun afternoon & thanks for the company, advice & working on Betsy hon, I enjoyed it J

Sat nite was off to the KB birthday bash .. great to met everyone & put a face to the name, Speediegirl, Rashika & Dangerous hatched a plan for a ride on Sunday to Akaroa which with the weather forcast on the improve so I was in

Sunday dawned fine & best of all no wind so after consulting a map rode to the location, hmm this did not seem quite right so a text to Gwen to check & eventually found it.

A good group formed & off we went. What a fabulous road had everything tight twisties, long straights lovely sweepers and best of all no quick stop at the hill top .. should have jumped off & taken a pic but being a bit slower off everyone went again as soon as we rocked up

Akaroa was great with a heap of bikes there & more turning up every few minutes poor Betsy may have felt threatened being surrounded by Harleys but being the trollop she is more than likely in her element.

After lunch in Akaora it was off to the wheatsheaf pub and one of the crew had a slight off … but at least this time I went round the corner & stopped instead of doing that target fixation thingy & crashing as well
    Found out how well draggin jeans do not wear on the road so will invest in leathers methinks

Anyhow thanks guys for having me and Betsy along, totally loved the ride great to met you Liz and catch up again Gwen & Darryl .. I will be back for sure

Name:	1st tour chch oct 07 013.JPG 
Views:	28 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	74761   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st tour chch oct 07 018.JPG 
Views:	105 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	74762   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st tour chch oct 07 019.JPG 
Views:	60 
Size:	58.5 KB 
ID:	74763   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st tour chch oct 07 020.JPG 
Views:	31 
Size:	66.0 KB 
ID:	74764   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st tour chch oct 07 021.JPG 
Views:	95 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	74765   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st tour chch oct 07 022.JPG 
Views:	93 
Size:	71.7 KB 
ID:	74766  

Bike
    RATS & RICE
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by chanceyy View Post
    :
    Tootled off to the ferry arrived about 6.45am text dogs who was up and about so waited to be boarded, as the loading guys were on the lookout for me no probs, apart from having to teach them how to use the handlebar bra ..
    sailors are incline to remove a bra not put one on

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    RATS & RICE
    Blog Entries
    yeah good too see you and glad you enjoyed the trip across the ditch next time will have too be a group ride down south

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6

Part three " The ride home"

Well I had to catch the ferry & report before 1pm had added up the actual riding time on the way down, figured allowing 5 hours should be ok but this is Betsy I am riding so figured give myself some room to kill if need be

On the road by 6.50am was certainly a brisk cold morning found my way outta chch and was cruising along the main north road when all of a sudden had them red/blue lights in my rear vision mirror ohhh but after moving over mr plod went flying past : and that was the only I seen all the way home.

Also thought Betsy tank range is about 180 I think … so decided to test it. Filled up in Chch & planned first stop in Kaikoura 182ks away

Got to Cheviot & my fingers were really cold so put on another pair of gloves ahhh that was better … & set off again 2 hours later about 5 ks from chch Betsy starts losing power ….. ohhh bugger .. well I been told & thought Betsy does not have a reserve tank .. well it appears she does .. Go figure .. turned the gas dial & we made it to the gas station for the big fill up 17 litres of fuel. BTW no traffic stopping me this whole leg … every time I caught a vehicle which was few & far between went straight past them as well wooo hooo love those south island roads

Weather was also starting to get warmer but a bite to eat & half hour break quick text to dogs to tell him where I was then headed off again … next stop Blenheim .. got to around ward & holy crap the head wind caught me big time .. coming around a corner, truck coming opposite way so get hit by wind & draft off truck I swear the front tyre felt like it left the ground ..

Made it to Blenheim thought the roads were pretty quiet, oh yeah their anniversary day, 2 hours riding time again gassed up a couple of texts sent, then off to Picton. Drove around & took a few pic’s before parking up at the terminal & woo hoo made chch to piction with a 30 mins stop in Kaikoura 10 mins in Blenheim and 5 or so mins in piction so approx 4 hours 30 mins not bad going for lil ole Betsy methinks

Since Picton only had two cafes open & a nice 15% surcharge decided to wait til I was on the ferry to eat, Thanks dogs for helping me secure Betsy on the sailing back just could not anchor her tightly enough … off to the kitchen to have lunch/dinner and watch dogs do some work (for a change) then out to check out the scenery again, off to dogs cabin get cosy … it sure was hard to get outta his bed when we got to port but off to deal with wellington rush hour traffic & got a clear run home from Paraparumu & wot a stunning evening to be riding a bike (once you cleared windy wellywood) & home just before 7pm

Absolutely tired but stoked with the trip & the way betsy ran, the sheepskin certainly was worth its weight in gold my ass only got sore the last 20 ks or so ..

Now summer is coming, a few more trips away will be in the plan, would have been great to have company & share the experience but also to do it on ya own picking ya own speed when to stop, how fast to go or not to go just the feel & sensation with you and your bike is an experience that teaches you more than you can ever hope to learn from books or words … If you have read the whole boring novel my hats off to you

Name:	1st tour chch oct 07 026.JPG 
Views:	36 
Size:	65.6 KB 
ID:	74767   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st tour chch oct 07 027.JPG 
Views:	14 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	74768   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st tour chch oct 07 029.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	38.4 KB 
ID:	74769   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st tour chch oct 07 032.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	74770   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1st tour chch oct 07 035.JPG 
Views:	12 
Size:	30.6 KB 
ID:	74771  

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    Quote Originally Posted by dogsnbikes View Post
    sailors are incline to remove a bra not put one on
    talking from experience of course there dirty dog

Quote Originally Posted by dogsnbikes View Post
    yeah good too see you and glad you enjoyed the trip across the ditch next time will have too be a group ride down south
    mate you sure made the trip far more enjoyable & yeah a group ride will have to be on the cards .. but we have to arrange for a day when you can come too

Bike
    2000 Honda CBR600F4, RG50/GL145 Bucket
    OK, I'm officially green with envy, that road out to Akaroa is a minter. The bonus is the town at the end of it too. Clearly all those other bikers thought so too ... that was quite a crowd.

Good write-up, I love reading trip reports, especially ones where nothing broke and you d'nae fall off. That's quite a trip for a Betsy type of bike not being a recognised touring bike ... how was the comfort levels and it's dealing with hills and stuff

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    Quote Originally Posted by Grub View Post
    OK, I'm officially green with envy, that road out to Akaroa is a minter. The bonus is the town at the end of it too. Clearly all those other bikers thought so too ... that was quite a crowd.

Good write-up, I love reading trip reports, especially ones where nothing broke and you d'nae fall off. That's quite a trip for a Betsy type of bike not being a recognised touring bike ... how was the comfort levels and it's dealing with hills and stuff
    cheers Grub .. the Sheepskin Bonez kindly gave me really saved the ass, honestly was not sore til i was just about home, since I do not have a speedo guestimate 1300 odd ks over 4 days

Betsy did really well struggled in strong head winds but other than that she did not miss a beat & just had to chop her down a gear or two for the big hills but hit that powerband & she rocketed up them as well

Bike
    BSA A10
    nice report and it was good to see you down here
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    professional pillion
    Fantastic write-up Chancey....sounds like it was an amazing trip. You must be looking forward to the gissy trip??
    Its all good when its green

WAIOEKA GORGE ROCKS!!

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Aye aye Captain http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/at...7&d=1193726353 !!

Great ride and good to hear the bike went well when its no spring chicken.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    07 GIXXER 75OOOHHHH
    Great story,neat to read others' trips,can use info for own rides etc,shame about the petrol range,nice background sky showing in pics,must be summer coming SOON.
    Hello officer put it on my tab

Don't steal the government hates competition.

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    nice report and it was good to see you down here
    thanks Kick was great to catch up again & meet joni as well

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs Cowboyz View Post
    Fantastic write-up Chancey....sounds like it was an amazing trip. You must be looking forward to the gissy trip??
    actually feel like the gissy trip is do able now, great confidence booster for sure

Quote Originally Posted by merv View Post
    Aye aye Captain http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/at...7&d=1193726353 !!

Great ride and good to hear the bike went well when its no spring chicken.
    laffing that was funny as Merv .. & along with bike being no spring chicken the rider is just as ancient ..

Bike
    Concours 14
    Nice TR chancey and some good photos Me and the Mrs are planning a trip down there sometime to see our oldest boy who lives just out of Christchurch
    Sounds like you had a bloody great time Good on ya

Thread Information