Thread: "Democracy"

Bike
    Boxy but good....

"Democracy"

You might enjoy this one, from David Emmanuel (a Professor in the University of Auckland’s commerce faculty) …

I’m proud of our progressive neighbourhood, nestled elegantly between Whitford and Otara. It all started with our neighbourhood watch group. Now, most neigbourhood watch groups confine their activities to protecting life and property. But not ours! Our co-ordinator, Barry , realised that our neighbourhood watch group could play a key role in promoting the efficiency and prosperity of our street.

Barry called a street meeting earlier this month. I went along to find out where our street’s fire hydrant was, as it appeared to be covered beneath someone’s Readylawn. Imagine my surprise when the usual tedium of these meetings gave way to something truly innovative. Barry noted that only one household in our street has a boat, as best as he can determine. He also noted that number 12 only uses their boat ten times a year, at most. This is when Barry’s brilliance started to shine through.

He put it to the vote that number 12’s boat be made available to all the street’s occupants, for the cost of a tank of petrol. Barry figured that was about the additional cost of the boat being used one additional time. As he pointed out, the initial cost, annual registration, and insurance would be the same regardless of how many times the boat was used. Barry’s daughter, an economics student, mentioned that the boat’s initial cost was a sunk cost, and was therefore irrelevant to this decision. “The boat’s a sunk cost!”, guffawed Barry. Not only smart, but also blessed with a tremendous sense of humour.

Well, the group thought Barry’s idea was tremendous. The vote for equal access was almost unanimously carried. Most vociferous criticism of the idea came from number 12. I’m afraid number 12 didn’t show much of a democratic spirit. But a correction is taking place.

Barry pointed out that property values would rise in our street, once word got out that the street came with a communal boat. On top of enhanced demand for houses in the street, Barry pointed out that it would enhance our children’s future. They would grow up knowing how to swim, ski and fish.

Somebody suggested that people with boats would not move into our street. “Yes they will,” Barry shot back. “Not everyone is as undemocratic as number 12.” “And besides, it’s only badly behaved children that refuse to share their toys in the sandpit. Maturity means outgrowing such childhood ideas as “Its mine, and you can’t have it.”

Number 12 was clearly having a hard time with Barry’s brilliant idea. “I’m just going to sell my boat. Then none of us will have a boat. How’s that for equal access?”

Barry replied that number 12 was free to sell his boat any time he chose, but street rules would require that it only be sold to another occupant in the street, and the boat would therefore continue to come under the neighbourhood scheme. “But now my boat is worth way less than it was yesterday,” exploded number 12.

“Look! I know your boat is worth less, but look; our houses have all gone up in value by more than the amount by which your boat has gone down in value. Face it! As a street we are now better off. That’s the nature of democracy. You should have been aware that unrestricted use of your boat wasn’t going to last forever. You knew you had this coming.”

There was general agreement with Barry’s words, as they realised that in one simple neighbourhood watch decision Barry had made everyone better off (except number 12, of course, but he was better off than the rest of us to start with anyway).

Number 12 impudently suggested that Barry buy the boat off him, if he was so interested in providing boating recreation to the street’s inhabitants. Barry pointed out that he had owned the boat before selling it to number 12. And as Barry pointed out, he had been hopeless at keeping a boat. No, Barry thought it was far better for number 12 to own the boat and make it available for everyone else in the street. Barry liked the way number 12 maintained the boat and polished it twice a year. And he really liked the new engine number 12 had put on it. Barry congratulated number 12 on the fact that the boat was hardly recognizable as the one Barry had sold him. And he hoped that number 12 would continue to keep the boat up to the same standard.

Number 12 mumbled something inaudibly. It could well have been, “Like hell!”, but I was a little to far away to be sure.

I notice that number 7 has put his plans to buy a motor home on hold. I always had my doubts about him.
    ."No Matter what you do there will be critics."

Apathy - I could take it or leave it...

Bike
    Loud and hoony
    Bloody hilarious!
    It is preferential to refrain from the utilisation of grandiose verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualisation can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexicological entities. (...such as the word fuck.)

Remember your humanity, and forget the rest. - Joseph Rotblat

Hmmmm - so this would be an example of democratic communism?
    UKMC #64

Bike
    Triumph Speed Four
    Excellent!!!!

Democracy should in the same meaning field as "utopia" in any language...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Time to cut out the "holier/more enlightened than thou" bullshit and the "slut" comments and let people live honestly how they like providing they're not harming themselves or others in the process.

Bike
    2017 GSXR 750
    So as members of the same community, I can have free and unlimited access to all your bikes then .... AWESOME!! ... who's going to be first to cough up the keys ???

Come on ... don't be shy, I'll put gas in the tank

Bike
    2001 Yamaha FZ1 2009 Yamaha FZ1-N
    Hmm I wonder how low I can get the Whenuapai Neighbourhood Hyosung GT250R going around a corner?

And to think that we live this every day.

Bike
    Rolls Royce RB211
    Quote Originally Posted by steveb64 View Post
    Hmmmm - so this would be an example of democratic communism?
    Nope, more like a "hostile takeover bid".

Bike
    A shiny one
    Is that how the neighbourhood bike came about?

Thread Information