Thread: SV1000S at Manfield

Bike
    Suzuki SV1000S,burton custom X

SV1000S at Manfield

Hey there, just had to share my weekends adventure.. Went to a track day at Manfield race track for the 1st time 27/10/07, my mate Wayne and I drove down on Friday night and stayed at my bothers place in Ohakune.. 007XX was on an Auckland-Wellington-Auckland mission so she was on her VTR250. We were up at 5-30am and off to Manfield to sign on by 8-30, got the bikes off the trailer and signed into the intermediate group, after briefing the fun started, our turn came and out we went.. the track was not in great shape with quite a few patches and cracks but after quite a few laps I was starting to get some lines happening.

I had made a couple of mods and a few adjustments to the SV since I was out on the Taupo track a couple of months back so it was a riding bit different, 007XX was timing my laps and after the 1st session I had a best time of 1 min 35sec.. not startling but okay. Over the next 2 sessions I got more in tune with bike and track finding that my mods make it faster, feel more lively, handle better..and just HAUL out of corners.. so much fun!! by the end of the 3rd session I was lapping at 1min 28sec.

During lunch Suzuki rider Graig Shirrifs did some hot laps on his GSXR1000K7.. all tricked up.. 200hp at the wheel!! He tore around the track in a best time of 1min 10sec, damn that bike barks. I learnt alot watching his lines and smoothness around the track, and on the next session tried to apply what I'd seen and the 4th session I said to Wayne I was going up to the fast group because I had over taken everyone and felt safety was an issue.

It was a bit intimidating going out with the 'big boys' but figured I'm here to to learn, practice and have fun.. there were alot less bikes even with Wayne and myself added which meant more room to work on our lines.. we headed out and imediately I felt in the grove .. a couple of laps to get the tyres warm and I started putting on some pace.. apparently Micheal from Kiwi rider asked 007X who had stuck the chilli in my ass because my speed and lap times were noticably quicker. I felt like I was on fire and the SV was just barking, having moved the pipes higher on the bike it was!! I was getting to 220kph before braking into cocacola hairpin and up to 226kph along the back straight into Dunlop.. at the end of the session in the pits 007XX came over with a big smile to say I'd been lapping at 1min 22sec, I was stoked!!

The last session was more of the same.. head down arse up, really felt in sync with the bike... Full throttle along the front straight, change down,brake and turn right into cocacola hairpin hit the apex and open up the gas and drive out to the next right hander then on the brakes, change down and left into castrol, smooth drive out and flow around to the right and line up mid track change down and brake left for husqvarna.. hit the apex and feed the gas on, head down full throttle..bang another gear .. 10500rpm.. bang another gear.. 200kph 100 meters out from the corner and on the brakes sitting up like a chute, down to 2nd and right into higgens hairpin hit the apex and get on the gas..full throttle, hanging off the bike driving out hitting 10500rpm and bang another gear .. full throttle.. 10500rpm another gear.. tucked in head down.. another gear and aiming for the outside of dunlop corner hit the 100 meter mark 225kph aim in for an apex, off the gas.. gentle brakes throught the apex.. stand it up on the brakes to the middle of the sweeper, change down then drop to the right and aim for another apex.. on the gas and diving hard out of dunlop and onto the front straight..head down full throttle.. what a blast!!

An excellent day with very few mishaps I would definately reccomend anyone thinking about track days to just do it, you learn so much and come away a safer rider. 007XX headed for Wellington with Colapop, the Kendogs and the rest of the crew, Wayne and I headed back to Ohakune for a cold one, Sunday morning I headed up Mt Ruapehu to snowboard the last day of the season ..not a cloud in the sky ..outstanding!! Met up with 007XX about 1pm at the bros place and headed home. 007XX rode the whole way ..1300km+ in 2 days!! thats my girl..
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Manfield track.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	46.4 KB 
ID:	75132   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	007xy.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	95.4 KB 
ID:	75133  
    Never be afraid to try something new..
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark, A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

Bike
    You've got a nice wee machine there Laddy. Watching you get more confident throughout the day was pretty cool, although the constant chatter from V about "get him on the corner" and "That's my boy.." were just a little sickening...

All in all a good day - 'cept my bike needs stuff to get sorted before I get out there... In the mean time I'll sit on the wall and wave...
    They shall not grow old as we that are left grow old.
    Age shall not weary them nor the years condemn.
    At the going down of the sun and in the evening,
    we will remember them

Bike
    Triumph Speed Four
    Quote Originally Posted by Colapop View Post
    although the constant chatter from V about "get him on the corner" and "That's my boy.." were just a little sickening...

All in all a good day - 'cept my bike needs stuff to get sorted before I get out there... In the mean time I'll sit on the wall and wave...
    I am being supportive of my man...I'm proud of him, and don't care about being seen as mushy!

Besides, you should have been out there instead of bugging me...
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Time to cut out the "holier/more enlightened than thou" bullshit and the "slut" comments and let people live honestly how they like providing they're not harming themselves or others in the process.

Bike
    A dirty black one.
    007XY, thats awesome man, what an improvement in lap times! Only 12-15 sec of Shirrifs bike, bet your absolutely stoked.

And 007XX, have ya got the John Wayne walk going? Feeling a bit ?
    "I came into this game for the action, the excitement... go anywhere, travel light,... get in, get out,... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form."

Paved roads are just another example of wasted tax payer dollars.

Bike
    [QUOTE=Colapop;1276520]You've got a nice wee machine there Laddy. Watching you get more confident throughout the day was pretty cool

cheers dude twas an epic day..

Quote Originally Posted by deanohit View Post
    And 007XX, have ya got the John Wayne walk going? Feeling a bit ?
    amazingly was just fizzing for hours after, and moving so much on the bike I didn't get sore.. slept like a log.. outstanding..
    Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark, A large group of professionals built the Titanic.

Bike
    A dirty black one.
    Quote Originally Posted by 007XY View Post
    amazingly was just fizzing for hours after, and moving so much on the bike I didn't get sore.. slept like a log.. outstanding..
    Was talking bout ya missus, 007XX, doin 1300kms in 2 days!!
    I know you'd be fine as you'd be buzzing after all your fun.
    "I came into this game for the action, the excitement... go anywhere, travel light,... get in, get out,... wherever there's trouble, a man alone... Now they got the whole country sectioned off; you can't make a move without a form."

Paved roads are just another example of wasted tax payer dollars.

Bike
    k6 750 :)
    Quote Originally Posted by 007XY View Post
    Hey there...
    yep, it was a wikkid day out alright!
    Ya gettin' some good speeds there too; bet you could go faster tho! checkin' yer speedo slows ya down
    i'm trying to forget what you wrote about the snowboarding tho'

Col, i thought the RF with the KB sticker looked familiar!
    wish i'd clicked; book yerself onto the Dec day at Tpo...i'll look out for ya
    "Fit a front tyre you love, and put something round & black on the back"
    Il Dottore

Bike
    Hornet 900
    Great write up, and good meeting you.

These track days really are addictive, see you at Taupo

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by deanohit View Post
    Was talking bout ya missus, 007XX, doin 1300kms in 2 days!!
    I know you'd be fine as you'd be buzzing after all your fun.
    haha.. I gotta keep a closer eye on this 007XX/007XY thang she was good.. a real trooper she wasn't sore but was a bit tired for a couple of days

Thread Information