Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: The Pace - Group Riding. Part 1 & 2

Bike
    Gone
    Very "sensible" advice. Having followed Ruralman thru his backyard apparently sitting bolt up right but still nailing the corners there MAY be something in this pace thing.
    Last edited by cold comfort; 12th November 2007 at 21:51. Reason: clarity of statement

Bike
    BMW K1200S
    Yeah interesting read indeed

Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    I like to ride like this when nobody is watching, or when I have a pillion.

But if anyone thinks that they won't end up lonely and abandoned and turning up at the pub half an hour behind everyone else if they try to stick to this lazy-arse stuff on your average KB group ride, they're sadly mistaken.

Win or bin!

lol JR, win or bin lol, ill happily take 2nd place thanks
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends. To appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded

Bike
    CB919, 1090R, R1200GSA
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    But if anyone thinks that they won't end up lonely and abandoned and turning up at the pub half an hour behind everyone else if they try to stick to this lazy-arse stuff on your average KB group ride, they're sadly mistaken.
    tsk tsk... you little troll... The thing I most dislike is picking up bikes/riders from ditches. It is not how I like to spend my ride. The newbies also need to be assured that riders will wait at turns etc (this has been the case on any ride I have done) and that they shouldn't try to keep up in fear of getting lost.

Nor should they try to keep pace with the person in front, if they don't know them. Had a few riders go into corners behind me only to find me happily drop the bike in fast, and they get confronted with a corner they are not prepared for.

Equally... as others have said, any dunce can speed down a straight. Corners are the fun bit. Bar the real right stuff, I generally find myself speeding up for corners, then slowing down afterwards. Also try not to exceed 120-130 down straights.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jane Omorogbe from UK MSN on the KTM990SM
    It's barking mad and if it doesn't turn you into a complete loon within half an hour of cocking a leg over the lofty 875mm seat height, I'll eat my Arai.

Bike
    Austrian and Italian
    I rarely use the brakes. I prefer not to rush into corners, then speed up through them.

I usually get passed by people who are taking the corners slower because i'm rarely exceeding 110km/h on the straights. Kinda gets frustrating some times when I get overtaken just before a corner only to have to slow down and wait for the next straight for that person to sod off.

Bike
    2014 Honda VFR1200F
    Blog Entries
    A very interesting read, I have been riding like this forever & didn't know this style of riding had a name . I have been on a few KB sportsbike rides & to be honest they are just plain scary. I'd rather arrive late to the pub than be in the ditch or worse.
    bikes and babes are best naked

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    MONEYI don't have any
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    I found I had a fluffy seam when my crotch got wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
    Pussy forget about him.

Bike
    flippy
    Blog Entries
    cos on the whole, kiwibikers turn up to a ride to prove their better then the other person.

just set the "pace" at 140 and slow down for the straights
    its also fun to watch people pass, and its makes me laugh watching them slow right down before the corner, and i usually find myself catching right up to them after the first <35 corner(or 2 - 3 55 ones)

Bike
    R1100s / SV400
    Quote Originally Posted by Boob Johnson View Post
    Yeah interesting read indeed

lol JR, win or bin lol, ill happily take 2nd place thanks
    Wouldn't second place be Bin? - no thanks.
    Soccer - A Gentlemans game played by Hooligans. Rugby - A Hooligans Game played by Gentlemen.

Bike
    BMW K1200S
    Quote Originally Posted by Highlander View Post
    Wouldn't second place be Bin? - no thanks.
    Your thinking of "DEAD" last
    To laugh often and much; to win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children; to earn the appreciation of honest critics and to endure the betrayal of false friends. To appreciate beauty; to find the best in others; to leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know that even one life has breathed easier because you have lived. This is to have succeeded

Bike
    Nood Hyosung 2fiddy
    It's not just good for riding. Also means less speed down the country straights where the hillbillys brother jothro is the one and only "lawman" in them there parts. Not being targetted is a wicked bonus! Less exposure to crashes. Corner speed is way more matched than straight line speed. There are those who see a 250 from the mighty hieghts of their litre + bike and think it's their duty to pass me just before corners. I'll always make room and let people go and my ego has not problems with being passed, when they then hold me up through my favourate set of corners!!! Holy crap thats annoying!
    I'm selling my new riding gear!! Only worn a few times get a deal Kiwibikers!!
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...53#post1414653

Bike
    Loud and hoony
    to the Pace!

I found reading that quite interesting. I think I shall recite this as a mantra before each ride and do my best to stick to it. After all - I'm rarely in a hurry anyway.

But I think that the "leave your ego at home" is very good advice in most things we do in life!
    It is preferential to refrain from the utilisation of grandiose verbiage in the circumstance that your intellectualisation can be expressed using comparatively simplistic lexicological entities. (...such as the word fuck.)

Remember your humanity, and forget the rest. - Joseph Rotblat

Bike
    Boulevard, Ducati.
    Great info, im not too sure about the 'dont hang off around corners' part, as that has almost become second nature for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
    Nor should they try to keep pace with the person in front, if they don't know them. Had a few riders go into corners behind me only to find me happily drop the bike in fast, and they get confronted with a corner they are not prepared for.
    Ive had someone following me on the last 250 coro loop do the same thing, except they ended up in the wrong lane with a car coming towards them. Ride to your own pace people!!

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    I have to ride like this - my bike isn't quick in a straight line.

Bike
    1997 Moto Guzzi California
    It's the counter steering thing that takes the practise I've been experimenting with it a bit lately and it certainly shifts the bike quickly, but feels unnatural to begin with

Bike
    L0 GSXR-R 1000 #87
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheeldrifter View Post

But the machine isn't the most important aspect of running The Pace because you can do it on anything capable of getting through a corner. Attitude is The Pace's most important aspect; realizing the friend ahead of you isn't a competitor, respecting his right to lead the group occasionally and giving him credit for his riding skills. You must have the maturity to limit your straightaway speeds to allow the group to stay in touch and the sense to realize that racetrack tactics such as late braking and full throttle runs to red line will alienate the public and police and possibly introduce you to the unforgiving laws of gravity. When the group arrives at the destination after running The Pace, no one feels out gunned or is left with the feeling he must prove himself on the return run. If you've got something to prove, get on a racetrack.
    Excellent read especially this paragraph... though I kinda disagree with the hanging off part... 1. it gives u a lot more room for error, can change line easy as, and doesn't lean the bike over as much.
    2. it looks way cool.
    Firestarter Racing on facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirestarterRacing

Racing thanks to:

www.fluidcoatings.co.nz
    www.motostyle.co.nz
    MAXIMA racing Oils
    www.projectdigital.co.nz
    METZELER Tires
    New Plymouth Motorcycle Center
    www.topstitch.co.nz/

Bike
    Nood Hyosung 2fiddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoKuzzi View Post
    It's the counter steering thing that takes the practise I've been experimenting with it a bit lately and it certainly shifts the bike quickly, but feels unnatural to begin with
    Yeah I play with the controls lots, and by controls on the bike I mean, pull one hand, push the same hand, play with loading and unloading the pegs on each side, wiggling hips and body angle in corners. I like to stay loose, I ride ridgid bikes in the forst so have to and I'm sure it helps with the crappy suspension on my bike too.

Agree with you Raj after thinking about that you said the other night. You don't want to be jumping around IN a corner as it can alter your perception but getting yourself in the most adaptable and stable position on your bike before the corner is a good idea. I shift my thigh to the seat in corners to line myself up with the grip on the inside but don't get off the seat. Don't know if it would be suitable on my bike and want to get some more K's on my bike in fast corners before I try. I'm also busy shifting gears to keep the power up so can't move that foot too far.
    I'm selling my new riding gear!! Only worn a few times get a deal Kiwibikers!!
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...53#post1414653

Thread Information