Thread: Flying broomsticks

Bike
    Dog Rooter

Flying broomsticks

Heading back over the bridge about 4:30pm yesterday, an interesting event occurred.

Traffic was moving well (80kmh) but was pretty full in all lanes for that speed. As usual, following distances were a bit close but nothing unusual. It did mean the roadway was not that clear.

I was heading north and roughly at the crest I moved from lane 5 to 4. I was in a nice "bubble" - holding a good distance from the car in front and the van behind (which I had moved in front of) was a safe distance behind. Or so I thought...

An Audi Q7 that had been behind me in L5 overtook me and settled a bit close up behind another car. He was probably 30-40 metres diagonally ahead of me when I saw the broom (a fairly hefty wooden one) lying on the lines between lane 4 and 5 just before he reached it. I just had time to think "don't you fucking clip th...." when he did and it took off straight at where I was about to be. I say straight, the trajectory was direct but it was spinning around and end-over-end in a rather disconcerting way.

I am not sure if I moved left in my lane but if I did, it wasn't much. I neither braked nor accelerated. I tried to look up the road and not straight at the broom. I did lift my right foot off the peg and hoicked it up as far as I could. I felt the thing hit my boot (probably the head of it) and I have no idea if any of it hit the bike, although I didn't hear it. I'd say this was all over in about 0.5 to 1 second.

I looked back over my shoulder to see it lying in the middle of the carriageway. There was an HP wagon on the toll plaza so I pulled over to give him the good news and carried on home.

So I was trying to think what I could have done differently. The fact I made it home shiny side up suggests it was not all bad. If I had gunned it as soon as I saw it, it might have gone behind me although at 80 in top gear my thumper is not that swift. If I had braked hard, maybe I'd have dropped it (very bad in that traffic) or maybe I'd have been collected by the van behind (v v bad indeed) or maybe it would have passed in front of me. I probably could have counter-steered left a bit more as I was in the centre of the lane so had some room for manoeuvre.

What I have mainly been wondering was if it was a failure of observation. I did not see any vehicles up ahead make a notable effort to avoid it (and the Q7 certainly didn't - almost the opposite seemed true) and the volume of traffic in front of me meant it would have been hard to see, but not impossible. So I think I have to knock marks off for not seeing it earlier and getting over to lane 3. So my lesson will be: I need to actively scan all of the roadway ahead, not just my lane.

Any other suggested lessons welcome.

Bike
    1998 CBR 900RR
    Sounds to me like you did the right thing. At the end of the day you didn't go down, didn't get hurt, and didn't hurt anyone else, sounds like a win to me
    Maybe you should have seen it but from your description it seems you were keeping a good eye on what was happening around you, and were well aware of how the other motorists were behaving.

Would have been bloody scary! A broomstick tumbling end over end takes up a shit load of space! Glad you got out of it OK.

Bike
    GSX-R400, DL650, Hondazuki TF 100
    Yep, good work keeping things level. I would agree with the "scan more than just your lane" thing. Random (unindicated) merging would be another behaviour that would need you scan more than your lane, animals, bits of tyre etc can all start in one lane and end in yours.

I never thought about broomsticks though...
    Quote Originally Posted by Bert View Post
    ...and stuff the laws of physics; whats the worst that could happen???

Bike
    Dog Rooter
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogboy900 View Post
    Would have been bloody scary! A broomstick tumbling end over end takes up a shit load of space! Glad you got out of it OK.
    Funnily enough, it just made me smile afterwards. There was no real time for adrenaline to kick in and then by the time it thumped off my boot and I stayed upright I thought, well that worked out alright. I'm not pretending to be brave, just the fact it was behind me meant it was no longer my problem!

I did pay better attention to the whole road this morning, so that's probably a good thing I'll try to keep up.

Bike
    Dougcati, Geoff and Suzi
    One must always look out for rogue broomsticks sans rider. You did well sir.
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul in NZ View Post
    Ha...Thats true but life is full horrible choices sometimes Merv. Then sometimes just plain stuff happens... and then some more stuff happens.....

Alloy, stainless and Ti polishing.
    Bling your bike out!
    PM me

Bike
    '03 FXD
    I wondered where my wife had left her ride...
    Never too old to Rock n Roll.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    I've got miserly tourettes and I don't give a fuck.

Bike
    Its a Boat
    At least the cops would have had something to sweep up with had there been an incident on the bridge.

Thread Information