Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Matte Black Paint

Bike
    99 RSV Matte Mille, Bus 150 & 121

Matte Black Paint

Want to paint various sections of my RSV matte black, and I would get crazefox to do it for me but I use the bike as my commuter fuggit.

So questions:

• I've been reading some of the Aprilia Forums and a large number of them say that I should just buy some spray cans of black primer and matte clear. Sound about right? Doesn't have to be a real nice finish... its an 8 year old bike after all.
    • I'd love to paint a piece in a day and be able to ride the bike later... how quickly will the primer dry and can I get away with putting the parts back on the bike quickly-ish (in non-contact areas)?
    • Should I use a coat of Matte Black and then top coat of Satin Black instead of using a matte/satin clear?
    • I've read (on KB) that a matte coat will mark easily (of course) but pledge will get prevent this happening?
    • Sanding before the first primer coat... is it just to 'rough it up', or should I leave it if the initial surface is good?
    • Which black-primer?

Advice very welcome. I have had a good read of DMNTD's similar thread but it didn't address all my ...erm... issues.
    "If life gives you a shit sandwich..." someone please complete this expression

Bike
    Bikes!
    Get a pro to do it and take the bus... given the questions that you're asking, I'll think you'll find matt black a bit of a hoe. Surface prep is critical on a matt finish, it shows up everything... black is bad enough for that already!

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by imdying View Post
    Get a pro to do it and take the bus...
    Wish i could, but don't have the option where I live.

Bike
    TZFXR150, R1150GS, DRZ400, Ninja300 prod
    VHT saturn black ex Repco. Will be dry in a couple of hours. $10ish a can you get what you pay for, at least you can touch it up whenever you like.

Its harder to lose weight than gain horsepower.

Bike
    Cheers Buddha.

Should mention that the parts aren't huge... just small, but ugly small panel/parts. If all goes well (and its not bad) I'll paint the upper fairing/nose thingy in a similar fashion.

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    You've seen the spray can paint job on my 400..........
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    Bikes!
    I've had a go with most of the spray cans, I've found the Duplicolor stuff that Repco sells is worth the extra 2 bucks a can. Get yourself some bumper or plastic primer whilst you're at it. An automotive bodyshop will be able to sell you some scuff pads. That'll rough up the surface nicely so that it adheres. You can leave it in a box with a lightbulb to speed the curing, just don't make it too hot.

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    You've seen the spray can paint job on my 400..........
    I have, mint too (should have remembered to ask you). Satin finish?

Bike
    I think it was the preparation that caused the satin finish in places........so maybe not THAT mint.........good enough for a race bike though, or a dirty ole v-twin eh mate ?

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Deano View Post
    I think it was the preparation that caused the satin finish in places........so maybe not THAT mint.........good enough for a race bike though, or a dirty ole v-twin eh mate ?
    Yeah mate ... hey, just had an epiphany ...we could paint the bits at ya garage and I could commute on the Repsol! Now thats thinking!

Bike
    2018 Ducati Monster 797
    Blog Entries
    Park it out front of your house one night and I'm sure in the morning it'll be painted for you. If you want it matte black, leave the paint next to the bike.

Bike
    I don't live in Newlands

Bike
    None, sold.
    Quote Originally Posted by skelstar View Post
    Want to paint various sections of my RSV matte black, and I would get crazefox to do it for me but I use the bike as my commuter
    Ride it around without the fairings for a couple of days? Do, like, a really nasty streetfighter on it. Shame, had you decided to do this a couple of weeks back you could have borrowed mine

Dave
    Signature needed. Apply within.

Bike
    You can't organise a commute for a week ? Someone passing through on their way to Seaview ?

Bike
    Already minus lower fairings (being prof painted black - pre-sale) ... sick of water/oil bladders/containers everywhere... reminds me of old people's colostomy bags.

Thread Information