Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Coast to Coast, 8 December

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by dhunt View Post
    Well I think it was last year some old guy had a heart attack as everyone went through fielding and came off his bike.
    Well that certainly is encouraging! Cheers John.

Bike
    06 Ducati Monster S4RS, 04 Ducati 749R
    I have done this ride and can recommend it - is a good ride, for a good cause. I understand they usually alternate the route from Foxton to Woodville, going via Feilding/Ashurst Saddle one year then via Shannon/Pahiatua Track road Gorge bypass following year. If the organisers stick to that rotation then I think it would be Shannon/Gorge bypass this time. I have found everyone to be pretty well behaved on "Stage 1" from Foxton to Woodville where the ride usually tags on the end of their Xmas parade (the kids there seem to love seeing the bikes come through). After a decent lunch break you can choose whether to continue on with"Stage 2" to Akitio (which can be a more challenging ride than Stage 1), or make your own way back home.
    PS: My experience has been that there is a good chance you will encounter wet weather at some stage of the journey so it would be wise to be prepared for that.
    Last edited by et al; 16th November 2007 at 11:24. Reason: Road names
    pretentious moi?

Bike
    SV400
    Quote Originally Posted by et al View Post
    I have done this ride and can recommend it - is a good ride, for a good cause. I understand they usually alternate the route from Foxton to Woodville, going via Feilding/Ashurst Saddle one year then via Shannon/Pahiatua Track road Gorge bypass following year. If the organisers stick to that rotation then I think it would be Shannon/Gorge bypass this time. I have found everyone to be pretty well behaved on "Stage 1" from Foxton to Woodville where the ride usually tags on the end of their Xmas parade (the kids there seem to love seeing the bikes come through). After a decent lunch break you can choose whether to continue on with"Stage 2" to Akitio (which can be a more challenging ride than Stage 1), or make your own way back home.
    PS: My experience has been that there is a good chance you will encounter wet weather at some stage of the journey so it would be wise to be prepared for that.
    Don't expect any wet weather this year.

Bike
    2006 Honda XR250L
    Its a great ride, I've done it 8 times and if you haven't been give it a go. I'll probably miss it this year because I'm just getting home to my house from Sydney about 1am that morning and Mrs merv will probably want me staying in bed for a while.
    Cheers

Merv

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    it has gathered a bit of a repuation over the years but it is a good ride. I go every year. Probably the quietest ride of the year for me and stay out of race mode as there are plenty of bikes with plenty to prove. Yes there has been at least 1 bin on every one I have been on but if someone is pissing me off I let them by and dont get caught up in it. The year we met bonez was the best. we had a clear run through to the beach with just 3 bikes which was shocking cause there were 400 on the ride. Riding out from Himatangi is surseal with bikes as far as you can see.

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    2005 cbr1000rr fireblade

coast 2coast

yeah it mite b crowded but its great 2 b part of it ive done 2 plenty of windies

Bike
    06 Bandit GSF 1200SK6
    well since Betsy is back I am in

looking forward to this one
    Have to Karma ... Justice catches up eventually !!

Bike
    2002 SV650S
    I might attend this one never done it before so not sure what to expect,other than heavily congested roads and lots of raceing ... hope its good tho

Bike
    Triumph Tiger 800
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrider View Post
    Unfortunately it clashes with the SI KB "Staging Post" this year too! (probably forever now)
    I am leaving it until the last minute to decide but leaning heavily toward the NI Coast to Coast this year.
    Thats funny, I was thinking of heading South for the SI KB do, until I saw the C2C was on the same weekend.I did it last year and enjoyed it, despite a bit of wet stuff.
    Came back from Akitio via the gravel road, that was one of the best bits of the ride.
    Still tossing up also...
    John pm me if you are coming up....could do accomodation
    Experience......something you get just after you needed it

Bike
    Yamama R6 & Frankie the Bucket
    Quote Originally Posted by NZsarge View Post
    Sounds good.
    Whats the usual turn out for this ride?
    Has been up to 400-500 odd bikes, depends on the weather really.

Quote Originally Posted by NZsarge View Post
    Yeah i've heard that there is generally an off most times this ride is on..
    You get that many people riding together and someone is bound to come off.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboyz View Post
    it has gathered a bit of a repuation over the years but it is a good ride. I go every year. Probably the quietest ride of the year for me and stay out of race mode as there are plenty of bikes with plenty to prove. Yes there has been at least 1 bin on every one I have been on but if someone is pissing me off I let them by and dont get caught up in it. The year we met bonez was the best. we had a clear run through to the beach with just 3 bikes which was shocking cause there were 400 on the ride. Riding out from Himatangi is surseal with bikes as far as you can see.
    That font colour is shocking! It's lucky I'm not hung over.
    The Unknown Rider

Bike
    04 ZX10R 98 ZX9R #10
    Quote Originally Posted by Slingshot View Post

That font colour is shocking! It's lucky I'm not hung over.
    does that mean you are still drunk?

Nearly all men can stand adversity and hard time, but if you want to test a mans true character, give him power....
    YouTube Videos
    MY PICTURES

Best place to stay in Hawkes Bay here

Bike
    2003 suzuki sv1000s
    Have been out to Akitio to day as I will be working the weekend of the Coast to Coast ride. Can say the road from the turn off Hwy 52 to the coast is excellent As for most of the other roads we travelled there has been minor roadworks and sections of small loose metal with is hard to read sometimes going in and out of shaded areas. Unfortunately one bike was taken out by some pine cones on a sweeping corner.Not too much damage and was able to continue riding.

Bike
    SV400
    Last year a few of us met up at a service station on Pioneer Highway. Could met at BP Rangitiki Street or the one on the corner of Pioneer Highway and Botanical Road. That way Wild Bean consumables can be consumed while waiting for the usual late suspects to arrive.

Bike
    Concours 14
    Quote Originally Posted by Garry H View Post
    Last year a few of us met up at a service station on Pioneer Highway. Could met at BP Rangitiki Street or the one on the corner of Pioneer Highway and Botanical Road. That way Wild Bean consumables can be consumed while waiting for the usual late suspects to arrive.
    Sounds like a plan......... what time ?

Bike
    2013 ZX14R SE
    Might do this as a part ride, donation to the cause and all.

Thread Information