Thread: Herceptin Peaceful Protest Ride - North Island - March 6-12th 2008

Bike
    Suzuki LS650 Savage

Herceptin Peaceful Protest Ride - North Island - March 6-12th 2008

Check out www.herceptinriders.co.nz for details of this event . With enough participants, the visual, audible statement this ride intends to make will hopefully apply enough pressure to the government to get its head out of its arse and change its current stance on not adequately funding the drug Herceptin for women with early-stage HER2+ breast cancer. 600 women die of breast cancer every year in NZ. One man in every ten will lose someone they love to this disease, and the statistics climb higher every year. Think about taking a week out of your own life to help save the lives of hundreds of others, and have a lot of fun in the process. Its going to be an awesome week!

Bike
    07 GIXXER 75OOOHHHH
    Good cause,as a point though why not say this ride is for all cancer.At present prostate is the biggest killer with bowel for men,sorry but more men die this way than women by breast cancer.

Agree with you about statistics,my auntie both removed,mil one off bloody cancer.Still good thing is all women below 50 get free mamograms if family history.

I carry a mutant gene and my eldest daughter is having bowel removed and on bag for 6-8 weeks,this so she will not get tumour,not nice for teenager,not nice for me but hey we're alive.

Will try to go on ride as will have annual leave around that time for a wedding,so as I was told my entitlement is 11 days at present and 20 days from 1 april will maybe take couple of weeks off.
    Hello officer put it on my tab

Don't steal the government hates competition.

Bike
    Suzuki LS650 Savage
    The timing of this event is set to coincide with the outcome of a judicial review battled for and won by 8 women who have been faced with the task of trying to raise their own money for treatment. I take your point about the whole cancer issue, regardless of type. NZ is internationally tabled as the second worst country in so-called western "civilization" for providing access to cancer drugs. I would like to think that with enough people involved this protest can set a precedent for pressurizng the government to eventually fund drugs for ALL types of cancer. As they say, you have to eat an elephant one bite at a time, because if we go at this asking for all cancer drugs to be made readily available, we would need half of New Zealand there revving up, to sway them on the issue as large as that one, and the apathy this country is drowning in means it would never happen. I'm thinking once we get a u-turn on the Herceptin issue, it will be harder for government ostriches to justify not funding for bowel,prostate etc cancers.

Bike
    07 GIXXER 75OOOHHHH
    No question I agree,when I was told etc etc,it was 4 weeks since surgery for appointment,first chemo was 6 or so weeks post surgery.A couple of years later a friend had to go to Sydney for her treatment(breast cancer)as shortage of oncologists.

It seems stupid if you can have a preventative measure then you will save money for the health services why don't you use it,i.e cost for herceptin $10000,rehab costs prior to major surgery nil(drug might help a great deal),costs due to surgery and chemo,radiation,recouperation,time off work(can't put cost on that and family upheaval)immeasurable but say $100000,doesn't take a brain surgeon to work out give the drug to those who benefit and save the money long term.shit I spent from Friday afternoon till Monday 2.00pm in ICU,and left after 10 days.
    Hello officer put it on my tab

Don't steal the government hates competition.

Bike
    Suzuki LS650 Savage
    Indeed! This is not a political forum and I don't intend to make it such, but everything you say is absolutely true. Unfortunately!!! We don't seem to be blessed, do we, with a very forward-thinking bunch for government ministers? They remind me of blinkered horses, except the horses move faster and seem more focussed somehow... It doesn't help that PHARMAC reckons they'd fund the drug if it was up to them. Big problem seems to be - surprise, surprise - the government's refusal to loosen the financial choke chain. While it dicks around, slinging millions at advertising for the America's Cup, the rugby, etc, etc, dithering about how to spend the surplus and trying to convince the world how great EnZed is, its letting its people die in droves. Call me weird, but something's a bit wrong with that overall picture, as far as I can see.
    The support for the planning of this ride so far has been phenomenal. Everything so far has been donated - the initial website framework for me to build on, a couple of thousand flyers, nationwide media notification, back-up vehicle signage and bike-trailer loan, freebies, etc. Even my local area MP has sponsored me for the sky jump, and paid without me even having to ask him for the dosh! Most people seem happy to chuck resources at this, as soon as they're asked if they'd like to, because a lot of people are really pissed off about the current situation, and want to see it changed. A few ignorant people shrug their shoulders, don't wanna know, and just wander off, leaving me standing there hoping like hell they or their partners don't end up with life-threatening cancer, but most people do seem to care. Not everyone can or wants to ride a bike, but it seems a lot of them still want to help. Within 2 days of deciding to do this skyjump to raise the money for my own ride, I had half the money pledged, and I know they're all good for it. Nobody coming on this event so far is having much trouble raising the funds, from what I've seen.
    What's all this sh*t about me being an L Plate Rider, anyway? Is this a "newbie" tag, or something? Coz I think after 32 years riding, thru a number of different countries, I've gone a wee tad past L Plate status.

Bike
    2006 F650GS
    Firstly welcome to KB (Kiwibiker)

Secondly the "L Plate" status is only a reflection of the amount of posts you have made on the site, it has nothing to do with the amount of time in the saddle

Finally
    A great cause and a great ride, I hope others get out and support you like they supported us on our (my wife and I) ride around NZ in Feb 07, we were raising money for those with cancer too

We will ride with you, I don't think we will manage the whole trip but might meet with you in Tauranga and ride around the coast, and then maybe onto Welly

Keep us posted

Regards Scott & Carissa

Dusty Butt 1000km - We knocked the bugger off what next?

Bike
    Suzuki LS650 Savage
    Thanks for the welcome, and Good On Ya for wanting to get behind this whichever way you can. I did wonder, about that L plate thingy being some kind of initiation label. Not offended, I though it was kinda funny. As initiation rites go, it aint as bad as the "British Rally Virgin" shyte I had to go through one rainy Friday night in Ruthin, Wales, back in 1989 after I'd ridden through three hours of rain to get there. My friends (read "bastards"!) made me stand in a field, while they all tipped a pint of real ale each all over my head. Nowhere to run. And if the Brits drink real ale warm, the Welsh don't. There was nothing warm about that beer that night, but the publican was a good sort, dragged the smile off his face long enough to point me at a hot shower and then gave me free beer for the night, so it was all good in the end. Temporary L plate is ok. I only have 26 posts to go, so bring on the discussions!
    Will be good to have people on the ride for however much time they can manage. A lot of bikes at the Beehive on the final day at noon, even if that's all they can do, will help make the point that badly needs making, in a way that they can't pretend isn't happeining right under their windows. Media coverage in every major city we're heading through is what we're really after, tho, so the more the merrier, really.
    Last edited by maxworldbiker; 9th November 2007 at 11:18. Reason: Spelling mistakes

Bike
    Suzuki LS650 Savage

Smile

Artist Deay Raybould has donated his skills and imaginative talent to create a great design for the limited edition t-shirts for participants in this event. Check out the website for details.

Bike
    Big f'n yellow one!

still happening

Hey all,

They are still taking registration for this ride, I am looking for a corporate sponsor and going to use the attaches as my setup. I have already approached a couple of companies and have some interest.

Best places will be companies that have pokie machines as they have to re-invest the money somewhere.

You are more than welcome to use this as well.. Hope you don't target the same companies that I have
    Attached Files Attached Files

Thread Information