Thread: 'Race' Chains

Bike
    600RR3

'Race' Chains

Anyone tried using a race-spec chain?

Worth the effort? Much more power? Much more wear?

My current DID standard X-Ring chain seems to be lasting forever. Am wondering if it would be worth sacrificing a bit of that long life for a some more horsies at the rear wheel?

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    We always went for the old non "O' ring chains .
    Less drag is what you're looking for . Gaz.

You'd never go hungry with Nigella Gaz.
    If it weren't for flashbacks...I'd have no memory at all..

Bike
    600RR3
    X-Ring chains supposedly have less drag than unsealed chains (which already have less drag than O-Rings)

The benefit of the race chains I think is their lower weight (not sure if they're made for less drag too?). Just wondering if it's significant enough to notice?

not to sure what you mean but are you think about going down to something like a 520 pitch instead of a standard 525/530 pitch?

Bike
    a red heap
    not sure if you actually gain anymore horsepower, i think you gain more in handling, quicker steering etc, due to less of a rotating mass? well thats what i have heard anyway.

Bike
    600RR3
    Quote Originally Posted by Cajun View Post
    not to sure what you mean but are you think about going down to something like a 520 pitch instead of a standard 525/530 pitch?
    Nope. I've already got a 520.

You can get race versions of a chain in a 520 pitch. I think it'd be similar to going from a steel to an alloy sprocket...both the same dimensions but one weighs less (and costs more and last not as long)

Bike
    600RR3
    Quote Originally Posted by nodrog View Post
    not sure if you actually gain anymore horsepower, i think you gain more in handling, quicker steering etc, due to less of a rotating mass? well thats what i have heard anyway.
    Less rotating and less unsprung mass, for sure, and should help handling.

Maybe you're right, you may not get more horsepower on a dyno, but if the total weight of the drive system weighs less, it will be able to spin up easier and faster, effectively giving a bit more straight line pace...like when fitting carbon fibre or other bling material wheels to their bikes.

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toast View Post
    X-Ring chains supposedly have less drag than unsealed chains (which already have less drag than O-Rings)

The benefit of the race chains I think is their lower weight (not sure if they're made for less drag too?). Just wondering if it's significant enough to notice?
    Fair enough, but I doubt you'd notice any gains with a seat of the pants dyno ? Although I know just oiling the chain and having it correctly adjusted can make a difference on a real Dyno . Gaz.

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    Put ya munney into tyres.....they make the biggest difference....the gains from a race chain will be minimal.
    Drew for Prime Minister!

www.oldskoolperformance.com

www.prospeedmc.com for parts ex U.S.A ( He's a Kiwi! )

Bike
    96 Honda RS125
    If you're interested in getting a DID 520ERV (racing chain) The benefits are less drag (more horsepower at the wheel), less inertia to accelerate the wheel etc. These are the same type of chain as we run on the 125GP bikes, just a bigger size
    PM me or email me at mail@timmcarthur.co.nz for $45 knee sliders incl GST and shipping

Bike
    Nowt any more
    Yes, proper race chains are lighter than standard type chains. The plates are thinner and the rollers are different. But the down side of a race chain is shorter life as chains are consumable items, they are not designed to last a whole season of racing.
    On a Superbike or even a 600 you should consider replacing a chain pretty often. I would think at the very least 3 chains for nationals campaign, as an example.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." John Ono Lennon.

"If you have never stared off into the distance then your life is a shame." Counting Crows

"The girls were in tight dresses, just like sweets in cellophane" Joe Jackson

Bike
    F3 racebike, Ducatis
    In my experience, Non O ring chain gives more power for a few laps (until it heats up), then you have less power than a good O-ring chain.
    Non O-ring chains stretch like buggery, have about 50% higher chance of gaining a tight spot in them & also seem to chew out the sprockets faster. So overall the good quality O ring wins (usually in a 520 section size)

Bike
    09 GSX1400.
    I've been running a you beaut X,V,O and the rest, RK chain . It has taken a power of abuse, small front sprocket, extra long shock (severe angle for chain) bit of horsepower and two winter series ! Its now at the end of wear limit and has a tight spot ! worth the money, I'll have another. Gaz.

Thread Information