Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: NZ Superbike History?

Bike
    BMW
    Im sure it was wellington one, 89 or 90? Did it have the cross up competition?

Craig Dack, DK and Eddie Warren were racing. Chris Staff was racing and he gave up after the 91 NZ Jnr Nats so it must have been the wellington one...

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by CHOPPA View Post
    Im sure it was wellington one, 89 or 90? Did it have the cross up competition?

Craig Dack, DK and Eddie Warren were racing. Chris Staff was racing and he gave up after the 91 NZ Jnr Nats so it must have been the wellington one...
    It was an 89 KX250 we sorted out for Eddie Warren, so that's about right. They had the cross up comp. What was the name of the long legged Yank that was doing heel clickers?

Bike
    BMW
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasherfromwayback View Post
    It was an 89 KX250 we sorted out for Eddie Warren, so that's about right. They had the cross up comp. What was the name of the long legged Yank that was doing heel clickers?
    Was Eddie Warren a real short ass and crashed and couldnt touch the ground? I remember the 80cc race that was the best, old Damien crashed 3x and still won. Buschel had the best endo ever while leading, Staffs exhaust got all bent up in the first corner...

Darryl King won the race I think but I remember his speech, yeah I listen to a bit of ACDC really pumps me up hahaha

Bike
    Various things
    Was Eddie Warren a real short ass and crashed and couldnt touch the ground? I remember the 80cc race that was the best, old Damien crashed 3x and still won. Buschel had the best endo ever while leading, Staffs exhaust got all bent up in the first corner...

Darryl King won the race I think but I remember his speech, yeah I listen to a bit of ACDC really pumps me up hahaha
    Nah, he wasn't a short arse. He kicked arse too from memory. Anthony Gobert did all the arse kicking on the 80's. I think you're thinking of the second one we had on the waterfront a year or two later mate.

Bike
    BMW
    Nah, he wasn't a short arse. He kicked arse too from memory. Anthony Gobert did all the arse kicking on the 80's. I think you're thinking of the second one we had on the waterfront a year or two later mate.
    Ah yup, there was no go show!

Bike
    Various things
    Ah yup, there was no go show!
    And the long legged yank doing the heel clickers was Gordy Ward!

Bike
    Kawasaki ZR750/Honda Supercub
    And the long legged yank doing the heel clickers was Gordy Ward!
    You are right Pete first Supercross was in Wellington Winter Show Buildings (Now Drama School) 1989,
    Eddie rode your (Boyles) KX250 , he was real good that guy eh! Even won Supercross races in USA , so no slouch. Promoted by John "JP" Peters and Mark "ZM" Mcleod. Remember the cross up comp with Flash Gordon Ward doing his heel clickers , first time we had see anything like that , now look at Free Style these days. Top feilds Darryl , Shayne King , Darryl Atkins , Peter Melton and Dave Armstrong from Aussie and the go show brat in the 80cc class.

The second supercross was down on the waterfront. Not as good that year
    Last edited by The Chow; 6th December 2011 at 15:51. Reason: more

Bike
    Yeah the KX 80 was Toby Elliots bike...think it even had Yokohama's on it that he complained about to! The KX250 was my mate, Pete Richardsons.

I worked for Bobby Morgan at Brisbane Yamaha for a while whilst over there, he was one of Gobert Snr's best mates. Gobert snr was just a lound mouthed Aussie slob/raving pisshead too. Not hard to see where Anthony got it from.
    Yeah mate , you aren't wrong , complain complain complain ..... ;-) Tosser

Bike
    I would LOVE to see that tape!!!! Thats what got me hooked on racing! Darryl King, Damien King, Andrew Buschel it was awesome!

I think thats when the check helmet rule was introduced cause Nigel Smiths helmet fell off
    Hey Choppa , got a VHS machine ? Just as matter of interest Richard (Dick) Driver did the intros etc for the TV programme. I remember the place filling with good old two stroke smoke , never be done these days. Packed house both nights.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by The Chow View Post
    Yeah mate , you aren't wrong , complain complain complain ..... ;-) Tosser
    To stealing money off 70 year olds... Click image for larger version. 

Name:	22782.jpg 
Views:	81 
Size:	169.0 KB 
ID:	252108

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by scott411 View Post
    they are talking about the wellington supercross is either 88 or early 89, you are talking about the christchurch supercross of 1992,

i have the 92 tape somewhere at my parents place,

thats is where the check helmet strap sign came from,

the sx in christchurch was why i was not allowed to race sx until i was 18, my mother refused to sign the entry forms after hearing someone kids wrists break coming up short on a jump,
    Hey Scott , yeah that Christchurch event was massive , Promoter was Bruce Skilton and Graeme Crosby . They also had the Pepsi Supercross war at Carlaw Park in 1990?(I've got that tape , it was the first TV3 outside broadcast). I remember standing on the Table Top with your Dad , and looking at the crowd , the stand was packed on Saturday night, from Memory "Herbs" were the band that night and Carlaw it was the "Blues Brothers Revue".

Bike
    Exxon Valdez
    To stealing money off 70 year olds.
    Dunno about anyone else, but the spoilt kid thing is the parents fault I reckon. And the rest is just sad.

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Dunno about anyone else, but the spoilt kid thing is the parents fault I reckon. And the rest is just sad.
    The rest is just Gobert thinking he can do whatever the fuck he wants because he's Anthony Gobert.

Bike
    1983 CR480RD
    That Wellington Supercross was awesome,mid 1989 it was,Damien King was riding a 1989 CR80,on the friday my 1990 CR80 turned up at work,man i thought xmas had come early as i had a newer bike than him,Stacey Olderman took it to Gobert on the 125 but couldnt quite match him.
    Pop Quiz....can anyone tell me who the little kid on the RM80 with no visor is??
    And to quote Richard Driver....BITCHEN

Bike
    Various things
    Quote Originally Posted by brads View Post
    That Wellington Supercross was awesome,mid 1989 it was,Damien King was riding a 1989 CR80,on the friday my 1990 CR80 turned up at work,man i thought xmas had come early as i had a newer bike than him,Stacey Olderman took it to Gobert on the 125 but couldnt quite match him.
    Pop Quiz....can anyone tell me who the little kid on the RM80 with no visor is??
    And to quote Richard Driver....BITCHEN
    Think you're thinking of the second one here in Welly mate. Pretty sure Gobert only rode the 80 at the first, not a 125.

Thread Information