Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: ANOTHER police car does a u-turn in front of a biker = crash

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyryder View Post
    Bring back the red flags and anything faster than walking is 'speeding.'

This is not about guarantee's, if it was then the only guarantee not to get knocked of you bike is not to get on it.

Yes there are risk with biking but that risk becomes an acceptable risk with the proviso that there is an expectation that the ‘majority’ of other road users will employ some common sense. Many don't we all know that but to blame bikers in 'all' crash situations on the basis that you have stated seems to me that you have not been riding very long and have little experiance.

We all know there are situations where there is a point on the road that if a vehicle does the unexpected there is nowhere to go. Every car that has it's indicator on ready to pull out from the kerb is a case in point. There is a small window where in passing, if the car pulls out you have nowhere to go.

Should we stop in the middle of the road, pull up to the kerb and allow the car to pull out before we proceed?? No. We make the assumption that the driver will act with safety and we proceed on our way.

I've been riding off and on all my life and this bullshit that bikers can avoid all and everything thrown in their way is bullshit. So too is the assumption that bikers can avoid crashes and if not then they must have done something wrong.

Skyryder
    Stop being sensible. I hate having to agree with you.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    FransAlp 700
    Quote Originally Posted by McJim View Post
    Drivers with hoodies are my nemesis..mental age 3...with bags of testosterone.....
    It isn't testosterone in those bags man.

Bike
    Repsol Blade & SV pro twin
    Quote Originally Posted by avgas View Post
    Everything on the road has the potential to kill you. The day you morons learn this is the day you stop complaining about cops doing u turns.
    Go get yourself and accident and get some hard learn.
    The only thing you can guarantee on the road is you.
    Say what.......moron ?
    Visit the team here - teambentley

Thanks to my sponsors : The Station Sports Cafe and Bar | TSS Red Baron | Zany Zeus | Continental | The Office Relocation Company | Fine Signs | Stokes Valley Collision Repair | CBWD Digital Media Inbound Marketing

Bike
    2001 DUCATI 900SS
    Quote Originally Posted by Toaster View Post
    Rumour has it that police are human beings just like the rest of us. Shock horror
    Does that mean KB members are too....yikes!!

Bike
    2001 DUCATI 900SS
    Quote Originally Posted by spudchucka View Post
    They don't need a policy, it comes down to individual responsibility as a road user, just because its a police car doesn't excuse the driver from safe driving practices.

Don't take this as a comment in relation to this crash, I have no idea of what the circumstances are, its just a comment in relation to policy & driver responsibility.
    Agree totally Spud.

My view is that the general standard of driving in NZ is pretty poor so a person with this standard joins the Police Force, gets trained etc, however, that does not mean that he / she will not display standards similar to the general standard...called bad habits.

I remember on a ride, a cop car was across the road to stop one of the guys ahead and was out of his car having a word with said rider....did not seem to appreciate that there were other road users and a brow in the road just ahead and when he saw the rest of us he quickly moved car......he had stopped the rider, yet got out of the car leaving it across the road.

I think that in both these u-turn cases, the cop may have focused on the pursuit and forgot the basic driving skills.

A u-turn requires a lot of checks before and during the manoeuvre so the driver can stop mid manoeuvre if somehing appears.

But as Toaster says cops are human.

Bike
    2008 KTM SuperDuke R
    Quote Originally Posted by Grahameeboy View Post
    But as Toaster says traffic cops are barely sub-human, incapable of displaying the slightest vestige of common sense.
    Absolutely...

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    Quick - get Katman et al to tell us why, esp if the biker was in the right. Cos everyone should just accept the biker is always in the wrong eh??
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    2001 DUCATI 900SS
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanx View Post
    Absolutely...
    NOT............

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Quick - get Katman et al to tell us why, esp if the biker was in the right. Cos everyone should just accept the biker is always in the wrong eh??
    The biker is never in the right. It doesn't matter who was right when you're dead.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatjim View Post
    Until recently my most feared list was

1. Taxis.
    2. Volvos.
    3. Volvo taxis.
    4. Buses.
    You really should add "white vans" to that list.
    Or maybe the crap-awful driving by owners of white vans is a purely local phenomenon.
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    2013 EX300SE
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim2 View Post
    The biker is never in the right. It doesn't matter who was right when you're dead.
    That's what I always tell my boys. I think being in the right is only an option after the event, you know when it's too late.

Bike
    Scorpio, XL1200N
    Quote Originally Posted by vifferman View Post
    maybe the crap-awful driving by owners of white vans is a purely local phenomenon.
    Nope. The White Van Man is a global menace.
    kiwibiker is full of love, an disrespect.
    - mikey

Bike
    2008 KTM SuperDuke R
    Quote Originally Posted by DMNTD View Post
    the poor motorcyclist
    This poor motorcyclist wouldn't have been riding a KTM SuperDuke poseR, would he?

Bike
    2001 RC46
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jrandom View Post
    The White Van Man is a global menace.
    Oh.
    I was going to say, "Well, that's reassuring!", but of course, that would be stupid.
    "Don't be so pharkinstupid, Vifferdork!"
    ... and that's what I think.

Or summat.

Or maybe not...

Dunno really....

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyryder View Post

I've been riding off and on all my life and this bullshit that bikers can avoid all and everything thrown in their way is bullshit. So too is the assumption that bikers can avoid crashes and if not then they must have done something wrong.

Skyryder
    Do you realise how stupid that statement sounds? (The bit in bold).

Thread Information