Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: YSS suspension brand?

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental-Trousers View Post
    That'd scare me even more. If it was my fault I'd know not to do that again, but to ride that hard you have to have absolute, total faith in the bike and that must be very hard to do after having a part failure that nearly killed you.

Not at all mate, The Bike was a Suzuki and a very good safe Suzuki as per all of them, the part failure has been identified as to what it was, and why it failed, so I am extremelly confident to get back on again

old and slow probally, but back out there and giving it a go

I would guess my first road race in NZ will be at Paeroa ( Bugger it ) again???
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Pancakes View Post
    All respect to other contributors to this thread for their skill in this field and the quality of their product but it does get a little tedious when the answer to any suspension question is answered with "buy Ohlins and get RT to tune them". In a world where we could all do just that if we wanted we might not need to cos I'd be riding an MV and a Buell on alternate days and would probably need a few years in the saddle of each to find the limits of their handling.

I think the first post was opening discussion on some new shocks to the market and if anyone in the industy or not has some first hand info that'd be great. Something like "dangerous because... ok for the price but not racing.. lack of adjustment if your little and the units are heavy but work well..." would all be constructive answers.

I have seen quite a few fast rally, drag and street cars built and having good quality parts to work with is an awesome starting point but have also been in cars that handled better than the competition with thousands of dollars spent in each corner that were parts bin specials built to the right specs buy someone who had done their own R&D. RWD Starlets with turbo rotaries running shorted sway-bars and springs from Cortina's re-heat treated by Snell's to the owners spec comes to mind.
    Yes much of what you have said is fair. But NZ does seem to be a place ( for many reasons ) where many people automatically think cheap is best and forego thought about longevity problems that almost always occur.

Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by tri boy View Post
    I'm not in the market anymore for shocks/forks etc, as RT has sorted my bikes, but another brand is starting to emerge out of Thailand called YSS.
    The Aussies have started to distribute them, and some decent feed back is burbling to the top.

www.yss-suspension.com

OK, what you pay is what you get, and after sales service in NZ is probably nil, but some decent Oz talent has put a fair bit of input into the specs, and if QC is maintained, maybe they might be OK.

That is kind of like saying, "I like my pants even if they are weird

Rude of me again, sorry night Rob
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

I love my job Call 0223210319--AKA Shaun

Bike
    WR269f, WR450f
    Crikey whats that wee shock poking out from this scooter
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cbr1000rr_02.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	383.7 KB 
ID:	80672  

Bike
    Nood Hyosung 2fiddy
    That is one fricken sexy bike!
    I'm selling my new riding gear!! Only worn a few times get a deal Kiwibikers!!
    http://www.kiwibiker.co.nz/forums/sh...53#post1414653

Bike
    GSXR450
    Quote Originally Posted by Tony.OK View Post

Just another Quality Shock Tony
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    RSVR-BICILINDRICO
    Would you mind saying what broke Eg swingarm / shock link etc ??

SENSEI PERFORMANCE TUNING

" QUICKER THAN YOU SLOWER THAN ME "

Bike
    the town bike, everybody's ridden her.
    They're a pretty good shock, the high speed adjuster is not as good as a Penske, you have to do a bit of work to the rebound bleed to get it to work properly and the really long top out spring can be a pain but generally they work well.
    All this old school technology winning world championships

Bike
    GSXR450
    Funny this thread, as it reminds me off my job as test and development rider for the NZ BRITTEN FACTORY as well as the TRYPHONOS UK BIke

Britten used Ohlin's

Tryphonos used An American shock,

The lap times of both bikes was almost identicall

Amazing what you can learn as a rider, when a team gives you this honour role for a genuine reason ( Yea they probally just wanted to waste there money and time with me doing there testing for them)

Actually, the Britten team changed the Swingarm angle eventually after this, and A Stroud did nearly a full second a lap faster at Daytona than the year before

That was all day with out any fancy gadgits, shock Dyno etc, it was done by a TEAM of people, each one had there specialty to share on it, and WE all achieved the desired result.

A network of knoledge is great

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    Funny this thread, as it reminds me off my job as test and development rider for the NZ BRITTEN FACTORY as well as the TRYPHONOS UK BIke

Britten used Ohlin's

Tryphonos used An American shock,

The lap times of both bikes was almost identicall

Amazing what you can learn as a rider, when a team gives you this honour role for a genuine reason ( Yea they probally just wanted to waste there money and time with me doing there testing for them)

Actually, the Britten team changed the Swingarm angle eventually after this, and A Stroud did nearly a full second a lap faster at Daytona than the year before

That was all day with out any fancy gadgits, shock Dyno etc, it was done by a TEAM of people, each one had there specialty to share on it, and WE all achieved the desired result.

A network of knoledge is great
    All shocks are first pre-developed on a shock dyno and their response range to adjustment tested prior to going to the track.
    Funny that you were very receptive to preseason dyno development on your title winning CBR600RR shock, and attended a full day of dyno work at my own expense.
    if you are going to continue to discredit or downplay certain pre test techniques to serve your own ends it is going to become clear to a lot of people very very quickly

Bike
    Triumph Speed Triple
    Blog Entries

Pardon me?

Quote Originally Posted by Tony.OK View Post
    Golly I do believe that's a WP.
    (Not allowed to call them White Power any more for some reason?)

Fancy that, a Dutch team with Dutch sponsors choosing a Dutch brand of shock. Well I never!

And for the hard of thinking headbangers out there: "pt"
    There is a grey blur, and a green blur. I try to stay on the grey one. - Joey Dunlop

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    Yes much of what you have said is fair. But NZ does seem to be a place ( for many reasons ) where many people automatically think cheap is best and forego thought about longevity problems that almost always occur.
    The problem wif little old NZ is a lot of us simply don't have the money to spend in the first place, so we always live in hope that ther'll be a cheap good one.... $2500 for a ttx (I'm guessing a bit on that...) is more than I've got to spend on the bike (if you can still call it that...) for 2 years.....
    Drew for Prime Minister!

www.oldskoolperformance.com

www.prospeedmc.com for parts ex U.S.A ( He's a Kiwi! )

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by DEATH_INC. View Post
    The problem wif little old NZ is a lot of us simply don't have the money to spend in the first place, so we always live in hope that ther'll be a cheap good one.... $2500 for a ttx (I'm guessing a bit on that...) is more than I've got to spend on the bike (if you can still call it that...) for 2 years.....
    I agree, underpaid and overtaxed. Stay posted on pricing, production numbers are up for 08.

Bike
    Fatbob
    hate to be a thread dredger .. but ...

I hear W Whites are stocking these.

Obviously I am expecting the normal response: Buy Ohlins, and call RT

BUT .. surely someone has some info on the YSS shocks?

Bike
    triumph scrambler
    Contacted Whites & got a prompt response, they appear to be trying but I am not totally convinced
    1/ No service agent appointed so at this stage little local backup [ one is coming ]
    2/ Supplied ex O'seas with a spring rate determined by the factory , so as I read it, wrong spring rate means buy a new set of springs
    3/ Ohlins shock would set me back $ 1800 , Yss equivalent [14mm shaft] =$1560.00, although a cheaper version = $ 1170 [12mm shaft ] was available but I wonder whether it will stand up to the abuse of gravel roads

I still can't get a real idea as to quality, gut feel is they are a level down on the big 3 & JD's post sort of confirms that

I am going to save my pennies , I concluded that I was better to spend the extra $300 to get a shock set up specifically for me from a supplier that could provide both technical & service backup. I know they will work .

Whites may get it right, but it seems to me that we will be supplied with what YSS thinks we need not with what we actually want, hope I'm wrong.

The reason everyone goes to RT is because like it or not he is the only one putting the effort into doing the job right

Thread Information