Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Club Ride - Saturday 22 December. Recommended for learners

Bike
    '08 DR650

Club Ride - Saturday 22 December. Recommended for learners

Saturday Ride for Learners
    Dates: 22nd Dec 2007 (Sat), Rain date is Sunday
    Who: All are welcome, however we are targeting those who would like to gain more experience in group and open road riding, silly shit will not be tolerated.
    Where: TBA, Most likely northbound, approx 200-250km
    Time: Meet at 10am, University gym, depart 10:30/45

Notes: This will be the first of, hopefully, monthly rides to help those in the club who have not had much experience on the open road, or in riding in groups. The emphasis will be on going at your own pace, becoming accustomed to the road and just general good riding practices (spacing, cornering...).

There will be more experienced riders among the others, and if riders are having troubles they can discuss these with them at the next stopping point, then try and put into practice what they have learnt. There is no rush, quite often you will fine you learn better when hanging back and cruising, all turns will be marked and nobody will be left behind.

Pre-ride check: It's come to my attention that some of the bikes coming on the rides are lacking in the maintenance department (chains just about jumping off, tyre pressures way too low, useless brakes). Everyone coming should have a thorough look over their bike, and correct any issues before the ride. We will also take a quick look over them before departure. If its not road worthy it aint coming.
    That said, i can probably help most people on friday if they want to adjust chains and so forth, number is below.

Contact person: Myself (Stephen) on 0212685528, email: sdod021@ec.auckland.ac.nz

Calendar event with signup is here
    Last edited by Squiggles; 15th December 2007 at 18:28.

Bike
    Too many to count
    sounds good!

but can i add just one bit?

GEAR: bring all the gear you've got - it wont help you if it's at home (so why buy it and not wear it), and beleive me i'd rather you get hot and sweaty than have to pull the first aid kit out. rides are the one place you have no excuse not to be wearing all the gear you have, and if you ask there are many people (including myself) with spare gear they will lend you. - if you are wearing shorts jandals and a t-shirt without gloves and only an old helmet with no visor i tell you now you need to borrow some gear and buy a visor cause roadrash is not nice and bees/stones bloody hurt when they enter a helmet, especially on open road.

ride safe guys!

Bike
    2013 GSXR-1300 Hayabusa
    Hey count me in! I'll definately be there. I'll bring my back protector this time adds a lot of back support on long rides. Oh on a help note anyone want to show me how to lube my bike chain next sat/fri? lol At the mo i'm trying to figure out how to put air in my rear tire with it's stupid new cap on lol Put air in the front today, well it was at the right level anyway.

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago
    Quote Originally Posted by Drider87 View Post
    Hey count me in! I'll definately be there. I'll bring my back protector this time adds a lot of back support on long rides. Oh on a help note anyone want to show me how to lube my bike chain next sat/fri? lol At the mo i'm trying to figure out how to put air in my rear tire with it's stupid new cap on lol Put air in the front today, well it was at the right level anyway.
    I think there are a few threads on 'How to lube your chain'

Do you have a paddock stand?
    If yes - use that and DONT turn on the bike and put your bike into gear.
    Reason: you will loose a finger of two.....

If No - then do what I do..... have enough driveway.
    Spray on the lube on the chain that you can see.
    Roll the bike forward about 6 to 8 inches.
    Spray the chain you can see....
    REPEAT that over and over until the chain is all lubed.

But wait there is more.............

Best to lube the chain when it is warm - like just after a wee ride.

Then park up the bike for the night and let it all settle.

Otherwise if you go for a ride straight away..... you will spin all the fresh lube,off the chain.

This way only takes a few minutes longer than if it is up on a paddock stand....

Or if you have someone holding the bike over with the back wheel off the ground...... and you spin the back wheel by hand and spray the chain all at the same time.

Good luck and lube your chain every 500kms and then at 3000kms clean the chain with kero to remove all the crap and relube the chain.

Tyre: Do you not have enough room to get the air hose onto the air valve thingee on your rear wheel?
    There is a wee contraption that you can buy from a bike shop that you put onto the valve and then attach the airhose to pump up the tyre. Cost approx $10
    I have one that I have to use on my rear wheel as well.
    I carry it in my jacket pocket at all times.......
    Last edited by crashe; 15th December 2007 at 16:51. Reason: added in the tyre and air info.......

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Quote Originally Posted by Squiggles View Post
    That said, i can probably help most people on friday if they want to adjust chains and so forth, number is below.

Contact person: Myself (Stephen) on 0212685528, email: sdod021@ec.auckland.ac.nz
    You know where i live Txt and ill reply with if im around, get that chain nice and clean before relubing, and check shes good for slack (ya saw us doing a quick adjustment today) I clean and lube after every good ride on the TL, every couple of weeks when i commute on the gn's

Will send the email out about this ride in a couple of hours

Bike
    Too many to count
    Quote Originally Posted by crashe View Post
    DONT turn on the bike and put your bike into gear.
    Reason: you will loose a finger of two.....
    or the bike goes for a short ride without you until it either hits something or eventually falls over

actually, i've never thought about losing fingers, but i've learnt the hard way that my dirtbike has way too much torque to have running without a rider on it even with the clutch all the way in (deliberately so) and will travel a fair way without a rider and at a fair pace too

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago
    Quote Originally Posted by motorbyclist View Post
    or the bike goes for a short ride without you until it either hits something or eventually falls over

actually, i've never thought about losing fingers, but i've learnt the hard way that my dirtbike has way too much torque to have running without a rider on it even with the clutch all the way in (deliberately so) and will travel a fair way without a rider and at a fair pace too
    There are a couple of pictures on KB of a KBer who did that and made a hell of a mess with his finger......

Bike
    Too many to count
    yeah i bet. dunno how i never considered it... though i do keep fingers/hair well clear of wheels at all times...

they guy i bought my dirtbike off lost the flesh/nail of the tip of his middle finger loading it onto a ute. he and a mate were lifting it by the forks and when the front whel rolled into the ute tray he found his finger was in the brake disc "spokes", which then got sheared off by the brake caliper at painfully low speed

Bike
    VFR400, ZX9R, GSXR750, ZXR750, TRX850
    Count me in too guys , had a great day today!

Bike
    '08 DR650
    Calendar event with signup is here

Bike
    2013 GSXR-1300 Hayabusa
    I reckon this upcoming saturday im gonna work on weight shifting aye, cos those corners tha tighten up on you really are scary! lol i now trust the bike that it wont fall so its all sweet.

Bike
    bucket of rusty old Italian bolts
    I will really try to make this ride and meet you guys. BTW, what is a good tyre pressure for a 250cc bike, front and back? I know about cager tyre pressures, but not bikes. Otherwise I'm all good, even got a new wof and reg. Cheers

Bike
    2007 Yamaha R-Sixer
    Blog Entries
    perhaps i may come along for a pootle too!

Bike
    97 Yamaha Virago
    Quote Originally Posted by MGST View Post
    I will really try to make this ride and meet you guys. BTW, what is a good tyre pressure for a 250cc bike, front and back? I know about cager tyre pressures, but not bikes. Otherwise I'm all good, even got a new wof and reg. Cheers
    Tyre pressure - Depending on what type of bike you are riding.... and the type of tyre..... plus how heavy you weigh.......

Also if you take a pillion that alters the air pressure too.

So do you happen to have a manual, as it will state in the manual what the recommended pressure should be.....

If not maybe do a google search on your bike and see what you can come up with.....

Or ring around a few bike shops and see what they recommend.

Tip: If you find that you are running too wind on the corners all the time...... go and add more air in.

Bike
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by MGST View Post
    GB250 (nice choice, dude ) would probably benefit from approximately 32psi front, 34psi rear. 18" spoked wheels and all that. A bike like yours (and mine) isn't very sensitive to tyre pressures, so you won't notice when it goes 1psi out (like the supersports riders swear), but try and keep it around that.

Thread Information