Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Star Insurance: track day insurance warning

Bike
    2020 ls650 boulevard
    if its cheaper...
    my blog: http://sunsthomasandfriends.weebly.com/index.html

the really happy person is one who can enjoy the scenery when on a detour.

Bike
    2008 KTM SuperDuke R
    Quote Originally Posted by Steam View Post
    I think banks and insurance companies don't have to notify you personally if they change things, they just have to make the information public, or do it in the newspaper or something.
    Depends on the relationship you have with the company. In the case of insurance companies, your policy is a contract between you and the insurance company (section VII of Star's policy document states it is a contract); you agree to pay them money, and they agree to pay out if you bin it. Under normal contract law, the terms and conditions of the contract cannot be changed unless both parties agree - unless there's something in the contract that allows for such changes to be made unilaterally. And Star's case, there isn't anything.

Some insurance companies - State, for instance - reserve the right to change the excess at any time, provided they give you 14 days notice in writing at your last known address. Again, Star's policy does not give them that right, and any attempt by them to change the policy conditions, including what it covers and what excess is payable, cannot be enforced.

Again, according to Star's policy wording, if you (the customer) wishes to cancel the policy for whatever reason, then Star will refund to you 80% of any unexpired premium on a pro-rata basis. Should you wish to cancel a Star policy because of these changes, then this clause will not apply. Star have unilaterally changed the terms and conditions of the policy; essentially, they have broken the contract. As they have broken the contract, they are legally required to refund you 100% of any unexpired premium.

Star might start claiming that they're not required to provide cover for track days under their policy but instead it's just something they've allowed in the past. Well, yes and no. The policy document does not specifically state that track days are covered; use of the bike on a race track but in a non-competitive environment is a bit of a grey area. However, there is ample precedent that they have provided track cover in the past and this was a key selling point of their policies. Mine, for instance, was arranged over the phone. I essentially asked for two bits of information: how much, and did the policy include track cover. When I was told that it did, for organised motorcycle track days, that became part of my contract with Star. To revoke that, unilaterally, is a breach of contract.

As usual, please note I am not a lawyer and don't have the faintest clue about anything.You hereby indemnify me against any losses you incur as a result of acting on the information provided. Caveat emptor. May contain traces of nuts.

Bike
    2015, Ducati Streetfighter
    Blog Entries
    No idea if my Vero policy covers track days as I presumed it would not, neither did I expect ANY insurance company to cover a track day.

So good on Star.

Still cannot believe any insurance company would cover a track day.

Bike
    nun
    Quote Originally Posted by AllanB View Post
    No idea if my Vero policy covers track days as I presumed it would not, neither did I expect ANY insurance company to cover a track day.

So good on Star.

Still cannot believe any insurance company would cover a track day.
    thats because you live in the wop wops and haven't yet realised that due to popular demand and peoples needs.. some smart cookies saw a business opportunity. You'll find in most non 3rd world countries that bike riders can obtain such cover.. readily. Unfortunately its not free.. but it does exist.

However, as we are where we are.. the 'she'll be right' attitude and fix it as we see it doesn't quite cut the mustard for those who are a little more worldly wise or for that matter.. not just happy to accept it because thats what someones says !

Still.. i hear ChCh is nice this time of year

:slap:

Bike
    Several
    I've always assumed I wasn't insured.... part of the thrill innit...

Bike
    GSXR450
    DAVE @ Kiwibiker Insurance 0800629253 Call the man, he is great
    I fear the day technology will surpass our human interaction. The world will have a generation of idiots! ALBERT EINSTEIN

Bike
    na
    I would like to clarify why we have posted about this on the Kiwi Biker Forum. We have had some problems with people doing open days at Tracks with cars, drift cars and others were your cover is not extended to. These days also have no extra saftey barriers installed for your protection. We don't want to be telling you that the your claim is declined because of being at one of these open days.

We have major concerns about Pukekohe but that is a story for another thread. For Pukekohe track days we want the saftey barriers put up to add to your saftey.

Any changes to your policy will take effect at the renewal of your existing policy or from the Start of any new Insurance cover and these are showen on your policy schedule .

Hope everyone enjoys the Roads over the holidays and stays safe.

Please call us on 0800 96 8000 if you have any questions.

Bike
    L0 GSXR-R 1000 #87
    I was so fully covered for an open day at Puke with cars n everything. All lies... Ive been havin major issues wid my direct debits too for the past 2-3 mths... I reckon theyre gettin real slack.
    Firestarter Racing on facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirestarterRacing

Racing thanks to:

www.fluidcoatings.co.nz
    www.motostyle.co.nz
    MAXIMA racing Oils
    www.projectdigital.co.nz
    METZELER Tires
    New Plymouth Motorcycle Center
    www.topstitch.co.nz/

Bike
    2007 Sprint ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Shaun View Post
    DAVE @ Kiwibiker Insurance 0800629253 Call the man, he is great
    Yeah he is a good bloke. I am insured through him and recommend him.

Bike
    1991 Yamaha FJ1200
    Just a quick Q...

How would having barriers make a difference to the risk of damage to a bike, in the context of changing whether Star Insurance covers this damage?

Bike
    '10 R1, '07 ZX14
    Good Question Matt TG. We are with Star (through Dave Kiwibike) specifically for track day cover, amoungst what we thought were other awesome advantages (lowest excess, full repacement 1st 12 months new bike, unspecified riders slightly higher excess but still great, and best priced premiums on the market). I was originally with Star direct, cancelled and reinsured through Dave on a much better deal, which I was scratching my head over.
    Dave of Kiwibike has been awesome, and did state to me on the phone covered for trackdays. As a precaution Chris and I discussed advising of each track day beforehand, just in case and to double check/confirm cover so we can relax when we put over $50k of bikes on the track (thats both bikes).
    I look forward to Star continuing to work with a positive attitude towards bikers insurance needs. I believe AA wont cover bikes at all!
    View my new blog at www.girlybikes.blogspot.com
    Perfection is not something you should ever attain, but something to always strive for. For if we actually achieve our idea of perfection, is it then any longer perfect?

Bike
    better than yours
    No need for trackday insurance today, your man did well even if he was flying naked

Bike
    2006 BMW F800ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Unit View Post
    I believe AA wont cover bikes at all!
    Yeah, that was a funny conversation.
    "Hi I'd like to insure a 250cc motorcycle please. I am 35 years of age"
    "What sort of bike licence do you have?"
    "A learner License"
    "I'm sorry sir we cannot insure you unless you've held a full motorcycle licence for 2 years."
    "Okay, I'd like to cancel some insurance policies please. I'd like to cancel buildings insurance for a $600,000 house amd I'd like to cancel the home contents insurance policy and I'd like to cancel a policy for an executive class car and I'd finally like to cancel my performance car insurance policy"
    "If you hold on I'll get my supervisor."
    "Don't bother please just cancel the policies there's a good lass."
    Now I'm with Tower and use Dave at Kiwibike for the bikes.
    In space, no one can smell your fart.

Bike
    '10 R1, '07 ZX14
    Yep about the same conversation I had with them when I first got a bike again nearly three years ago, but I was on a full licence and had been for 20 years! Oh, Italian bike, sorry wouldnt do. So I moved everything to State, who were happy to insure me but $1800 excess on a $9,000 bike. At the time it was the best I thought I could get. But I now have my bike insured for $24,000 (they cover all the aftermarket stuff we have receipts for) and $500 excess, so bling to Star on that front.
    View my new blog at www.girlybikes.blogspot.com
    Perfection is not something you should ever attain, but something to always strive for. For if we actually achieve our idea of perfection, is it then any longer perfect?

Bike
    L0 GSXR-R 1000 #87
    Ive had many good experiences with Star too... bloody good and prompt with the payout. I had my new bike in 15 days of the writeoff & I cant thank them enough for it.
    Firestarter Racing on facebook http://www.facebook.com/FirestarterRacing

Racing thanks to:

www.fluidcoatings.co.nz
    www.motostyle.co.nz
    MAXIMA racing Oils
    www.projectdigital.co.nz
    METZELER Tires
    New Plymouth Motorcycle Center
    www.topstitch.co.nz/

Thread Information