Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Damping Technology

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt
    ohlins,whitepower,penske or sachs [not sure about the last one..sachs I think make a shock with simialr function to the new ttx36 ohlins shocks..and am only presuming the three]
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Robert Taylor View Post
    Maybe you are far better at comedy than me, it is the ham fisted approach of many that is the stress raiser.

Know what ya mean there Rob,

that is why I HAVE GOT, a couple of hard bastards that know how to Fight hard, to work on my customers gear, so I do not upset any one, ba hahahaha

Cheers Rob, see ya later mate
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

I love my job Call 0223210319--AKA Shaun

Bike
    2008 DRZ400E & 1983 CB152T
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental-Trousers View Post
    Look forward to hearing what the big boys are doing with their suspension at Phillip Island. It's an interesting track; high speed but bumpy with some steep changes in height and a couple of very slow, technical corners.
    Lol, one thing, Philip Island is NOT bumpy what so ever. Manfeild, yes bumpy, Puke, yes bumpy, PI, not bumpy!

Just out of curiosity Robert, you mention the new gas cartriges that some of the motogp bikes run in their front forks. Are these the second tube infront of the slider in the pic below? If not, what are they?

I'd very much like a picture or two if possible. I have no idea what you are talking about the great majority of time but some if is starting to make sense.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	front forks.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	18.2 KB 
ID:	80638  

Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by k14 View Post
    Lol, one thing, Philip Island is NOT bumpy what so ever. Manfeild, yes bumpy, Puke, yes bumpy, PI, not bumpy!

Just out of curiosity Robert, you mention the new gas cartriges that some of the motogp bikes run in their front forks. Are these the second tube infront of the slider in the pic below? If not, what are they?

I'd very much like a picture or two if possible. I have no idea what you are talking about the great majority of time but some if is starting to make sense.

Some of what you just said made me fall over
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto-Dynamix View Post
    Some of what you just said made me fall over
    Which part may that be?

Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    Which part may that be?

Attached Thumbnails
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

Bike
    Normally Suzuki
    Just being a smart ass as per man, I like a laugh
    shaun@motodynamix.co.nz

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Moto-Dynamix View Post
    Attached Thumbnails
    There is an extra tube on the fork that points up infront of the fork slider. I've only seen these in motogp etc bikes, never road bikes. Are they some type of gas cartridge? Or something totally different?

Edit: I was referring to cowpoos and death asking robert for an internal pic of the ways in which fork internals work. Yeah get what you were meaning now, wasn't very well worded.

Bike
    Massey ferguson 7495 dyna-vt

those second tubes are the gas resivour like a modern shock has..
    Quote Originally Posted by Drew View Post
    Given the short comings of my riding style, it doesn't matter what I'm riding till I've got my shit in one sock.

Bike
    the town bike, everybody's ridden her.
    If you look at the attached image the cut away cartridge shows the compression and rebound asemblies. In the centre of the picture is the rebound piston, on this picture the left hand side of the piston has a checkplate, if you replace this checkplate with a shim stack it is often termed a mid valve.

Robert I did take an 07 ZX6R cartridge apart partly because I was told it was impossible and partly because like most racers the guy was broke, as the thing is such a piece of junk from the outside I was expecting to find old early 90's ZXR400 style checkplate valving inside, however they do have the newer style Showa pistons, you need to get inventive with how to get the thing to hold together again though. I see for the new ZX10 they have decided to use the same submerged spring arrangement, I wonder if Kayaba have been instructed to make an equally poor cartridge.

Name:	BaseValveURL.JPG 
Views:	41 
Size:	292.0 KB 
ID:	80641  

Bike
    the town bike, everybody's ridden her.
    Click on the link below, this downloads the Ohlins gas fork manual, in there you will find lots of schematic diagrams.

http://www.ohlins.com/Portals/0/docu...s/07280-07.pdf

Bike
    '87 CR500, '10 RM144
    Here's a pic from racetech...looks like the same setup as a crappy old twin-tube car shock....
    Now, if I get you correctly, you're adding a second compression stack to the top of the rebound piston in this pic?

Name:	cartridge internal.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	52.3 KB 
ID:	80670  
    Drew for Prime Minister!

www.oldskoolperformance.com

www.prospeedmc.com for parts ex U.S.A ( He's a Kiwi! )

Bike
    CBR450RR
    Blog Entries
    Never been there myself but I was talking to a friend who had raced there about Phillip Island a while back and reckons the secret to a good time was to figure out where there weren't bumps. I guess the tracks much smoother since the last time he was there.
    Zen wisdom: No matter what happens, somebody will find a way to take it too seriously. - obviously had KB in mind when he came up with that gem

Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by Mental-Trousers View Post
    Never been there myself but I was talking to a friend who had raced there about Phillip Island a while back and reckons the secret to a good time was to figure out where there weren't bumps. I guess the tracks much smoother since the last time he was there.
    Yeah it could just be all relativity. I'm used to the crappy and bumpy NZ tracks I prob didn't notice it. But the only bumpy bits I can remember are the ripple strips.

Bike
    None
    Quote Originally Posted by JD Racing View Post
    If you look at the attached image the cut away cartridge shows the compression and rebound asemblies. In the centre of the picture is the rebound piston, on this picture the left hand side of the piston has a checkplate, if you replace this checkplate with a shim stack it is often termed a mid valve.

Robert I did take an 07 ZX6R cartridge apart partly because I was told it was impossible and partly because like most racers the guy was broke, as the thing is such a piece of junk from the outside I was expecting to find old early 90's ZXR400 style checkplate valving inside, however they do have the newer style Showa pistons, you need to get inventive with how to get the thing to hold together again though. I see for the new ZX10 they have decided to use the same submerged spring arrangement, I wonder if Kayaba have been instructed to make an equally poor cartridge.
    Thats what I expected from looking at the damping curve, its not overly progressive.

Thread Information