Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Thread: Cook Strait Ferries Megathread

Bike
    M109R, GS1200ss, RMX450Z, ZX-12R
    Quote Originally Posted by actungbaby View Post
    From memory the crew dont want to tie the machine down . i asked in the past

its the motorclist job they tie down the other well am not sure with cars just handbarke etc .
    That's fair enough too, it negates them from any liability if the bike falls over due to being incorrectly stropped down.
    Plus personally I wouldn't trust anyone else to tie my bike down.
    I carry a Gorilla strop & 2 standard issue bike strops for trips that involve a ferry crossing, the gorilla does the front end and the other two do the rear and the bike is solid as a rock

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i use two at the front and one at the back If it looks as though its going to be a moderate trip I use the side stand,in gear and the straps sorta just hold it in place.If it looks like its gonna be rough its no stand front suspension compressed ,in gear and a tight strap on the back too .I will use a chock too if i can find one.I try to avoid trains n trucks but sometimes you got no choice

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    Blog Entries
    I agree with all that except leaving in gear. Just about all of my interisland trips are for the Brass Monkey (so, winter, rough crossing expected) and I'm not keen on the idea of and rocking back and forth loads being taken by the gearbox. (Not that there should be and rocking back and forth if it's tied down and chocked correctly but...)

As always, YMMV
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    I agree with all that except leaving in gear. Just about all of my interisland trips are for the Brass Monkey (so, winter, rough crossing expected) and I'm not keen on the idea of and rocking back and forth loads being taken by the gearbox. (Not that there should be and rocking back and forth if it's tied down and chocked correctly but...)

As always, YMMV
    i dont see that the bike rocking back and forth places any more loads than a rough throttle chop or rough gear change,but hey its your bike!

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    You could put cable tie on front brake lever...
    That will lock her up!
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT

Ferry Tie Downs

Is it still recommended to take your own tie downs for the Cook Strait ferries?
    Political Correctness, the chief weapon of whiney arse bastards

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by buggerit View Post
    I prefer to trust what I know Steve. Got landed with some manky old rope once which was barely adequate. When are you off? IAM social ride in your neck of the woods tomorrow.

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    I prefer to trust what I know Steve. Got landed with some manky old rope once which was barely adequate. When are you off? IAM social ride in your neck of the woods tomorrow.
    Just loading the bike now, looking to jettison what I can

Bike
    Sold
    Just loading the bike now, looking to jettison what I can
    You shouldn't need to jettison much with the underpants inside out option . I've got fast-drying non-iron travel gear these days as well as merino so I don't smell like a skunk. Post a few photos of your GT in scenic locations. Catch you when you get back.

Have a fantastic trip mate!

Bike
    KTM 1290 SDGT
    Quote Originally Posted by Blackbird View Post
    You shouldn't need to jettison much with the underpants inside out option . I've got fast-drying non-iron travel gear these days as well as merino so I don't smell like a skunk. Post a few photos of your GT in scenic locations. Catch you when you get back.

Have a fantastic trip mate!
    Undies, I knew I had forgotten something.
    On board now, Inter islander is well set up with ratcheting tie downs
    with handlebar loops and a slot bracket/slot to hold your
    front wheel.

Bike
    suzuki
    why, you pay for tiedaowns, tell them to supply tie downs, taking your own is bending over and letting them fuck you up the arse as far as i see it

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    why, you pay for tiedaowns, tell them to supply tie downs, taking your own is bending over and letting them fuck you up the arse as far as i see it
    Do you though? I thought you were just paying for a space on the boat
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    Do you though? I thought you were just paying for a space on the boat
    per square foot you pay a significant amount more, for what, tie downs i think. some years ago i worked with the interislander people and actually got them to put proper tie downs on a boat, with their name on them, worked through options to lessen the likelhood of them being stolen etc, which they weren't even worried about.
    the operations manager cam on board and met with me, happened to be a sunday after the useless club agm so was packed out, right in front of his eyes a bike toppled because of the bullshit chain system.
    it worked, the got plenty of tie downs and life was better for a while.
    he then left and the follow up wasn't done.
    my main point of insisting on tie downs is no matter how good yours are, and how good you tie you bike down it won't stop the next guy's bike being tied properly. additionally, do i really want to tour the south island with 1/2 a kilo of cow shit covered tiedowns?

they seem to have no trouble providing tie downs for the truckies.

Bike
    BSA A10
    Quote Originally Posted by jellywrestler View Post
    my main point of insisting on tie downs is no matter how good yours are, and how good you tie you bike down it won't stop the next guy's bike being tied properly. additionally, do i really want to tour the south island with 1/2 a kilo of cow shit covered tiedowns?
    My tie downs are very good and I'm always cautious about the guy next door tying his bike down, I would think if you have 1/2 kg of cowshit attached to your tiedowns you'd have bigger problems with how much is spread over your bike

Different point of view than yours but if it's my bike then I'm responsible for it and I will take whatever steps I deem necessary for a crossing with no problems without relying on the freight company/deckhands
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough power."

Quote Originally Posted by scracha View Post
    Even BP would shy away from cleaning up a sidecar oil spill.
    Quote Originally Posted by Warren Zevon
    Send Lawyers, guns and money, the shit has hit the fan

Bike
    suzuki
    Quote Originally Posted by Kickaha View Post
    My tie downs are very good and I'm always cautious about the guy next door tying his bike down, I would think if you have 1/2 kg of cowshit attached to your tiedowns you'd have bigger problems with how much is spread over your bike

Different point of view than yours but if it's my bike then I'm responsible for it and I will take whatever steps I deem necessary for a crossing with no problems without relying on the freight company/deckhands
    i'm talking about the cowshit on the decks, do you take your own scissors to your barber?

why do we continually let these cunts get away with it?

Thread Information