Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27353637

Thread: Cook Strait Ferries Megathread

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulsterkiwi View Post

Another chap pulled alongside our party, he was going for broke with tiedowns. He had two on the front, two on the back and one over the seat. He had the bike on the centre stand. he cranked so hard on the front straps he pulled the bike off the stand, he was very lucky the whole thing didn't go over.
    Sounds exactly like my experience. I may have been that bloke. Except it would have been January.

My first ferry trip.
    The centre stand is a small trap when you use tie downs on the front.

I dont remember tying down the seat.

It was the water gushing in onto the deck that had me concerned......

Was a great experience.
    Next time, I will take it easier and put the bike in the correct direction for disembarking.

Took me 3 goes at tying it down. Got there eventually.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    I Ride No More
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post

So did you ratchet it down to the side stand? I've heard that's not a go as it can snap?

My plan was to put it on side stand, ratchet right hand side bar as far as it feels comfortable then do the left when I kick the stand up and balance it upright, then put something on the rear wheel.
    I wonder if it's worth bringing a cable tie for the brake lever?
    I wouldn't ratchet a machine down onto the side stand. Others might choose to - that's their choice. [ The VFR has an inter-lock with the side-stand, another reason I've avoided over-stressing the side stand ]

Have a look at the steps in post #532 above. It should have included "first chock the front wheel".

If you do the front (with ties angled out and facing forward), then the rear (similar, facing backwards), and they're both nicely tensioned, the machine is not going anywhere. Sideways, or back-forward. Chock the rear as well if you want.

Cable-tie on the brake lever ? - I've never used one in all the crossings I've done, and the VFR will be a much heavier machine than the R3.

My 2c worth.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by Autech View Post
    Cheers, as racer I'm fairly experienced with trailering bikes, so I imagine the process is the same. Though they're usually shitty race bikes and not a pretty R3 that belongs to my cousin, so I'll be super anal I think.

So did you ratchet it down to the side stand? I've heard that's not a go as it can snap?

My plan was to put it on side stand, ratchet right hand side bar as far as it feels comfortable then do the left when I kick the stand up and balance it upright, then put something on the rear wheel.
    I wonder if it's worth bringing a cable tie for the brake lever?
    No. Just tied the bike front and rear with two tie downs compressing both front and rear suspensions. Each side of the handle bars up front and either over the seat or attached to the rear carrier/pannier frame. Never had a s stde stand snap in 30 plus years of riding. Or any of my old riding buddies.

It becomes second nature after you have strapped a bike down a few times.

Some bike just don't have center stands as well.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post

Some bike just don't have center stands as well.
    You get told off for using the centre stand by the deck hands in the know. Sidestand and tie downs deal with heavy seas way better than a centre stand.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    You get told off for using the centre stand by the deck hands in the know. Sidestand and tie downs deal with heavy seas way better than a centre stand.
    I'd imagine because centre stand puts the bike higher and spread is very narrow and will tend to topple over in heavy seas.

Bike
    None
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bonez View Post
    I'd imagine because centre stand puts the bike higher and spread is very narrow and will tend to topple over in heavy seas.
    Precisely. Bit of a bugger when that happens.
    If a man is alone in the woods and there isn't a woke Hollywood around to call him racist, is he still white?

Bike
    Quiet plodder
    Quote Originally Posted by James Deuce View Post
    It takes very little forward movement to bring the centrestand over the centre point before it all comes awkward.

also the bike can slide around on the steel deck, so much fun.

i applied pressure to the front forks and tightened the straps, they act as a spring.
    same with the rear. Tied them diagonally to try and prevent pitching.
    surprisingly stable.

needant have worried flat calm

just needed to chill as the cars were let off first......
    we didn’t want to get run over in the mad rush.
    then over Remutakas and rest.

READ AND UDESTAND

Bike
    VFR400, Frankenbucket
    Back home now. Rough crossing (people were throwing up lol) but found the tie down points at wheel chocks were perfect for the task.

Took 3 tiedowns and did as suggested, one on each fork above the triple clamps and one to the rear threaded through the pillion peg mounts pulling back.
    Left it on the sidestand and cranked it down just not too much so as to not stress the sidestand and frame.
    Also as I was anal I used the loose ends of the tiedowns to tie the wheel chock to the wheel and around the front brake lever. She was fucking solid

Cheers for the advice homies

Sent from my SM-A730F using Tapatalk

Bike
    '15 VStrom 650, 1983 BMW R80G/S
    This is not about how to tie your bike down but a comment on the latest Bluebridge offering, the Connemarra and what a disappointment it is in 2 areas. I sailed on it on Sunday 5th November returning to the south island. Passenger comfort - the majority of passengers are seated on some fairly uncomfortable dining chairs in the cafe area and while there are some softer bench seats they are very much in the minority. By the time you tie your bike down you are never going to be in contention to sit there. There are no "airline" type seats. As for facilities for motorcycles there didn't seem to be any other than a few rope tie downs, the usual rubber chocks and some storage boxes tipped on their sides that you put your helmet in. Given the conditions experienced in Cook Strait i can only hope BB are working on providing more secure motorcycle stowage. I have always caught a ferry based on what time was convenient for me not really caring what boat it was but will be avoiding the Connemara next time i head north.
    To anyone that ever told you you’re no good… They’re no better.

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by NiggleC View Post
    This is not about how to tie your bike down but a comment on the latest Bluebridge offering, the Connemarra and what a disappointment it is in 2 areas. I sailed on it on Sunday 5th November returning to the south island. Passenger comfort - the majority of passengers are seated on some fairly uncomfortable dining chairs in the cafe area and while there are some softer bench seats they are very much in the minority. By the time you tie your bike down you are never going to be in contention to sit there. There are no "airline" type seats. As for facilities for motorcycles there didn't seem to be any other than a few rope tie downs, the usual rubber chocks and some storage boxes tipped on their sides that you put your helmet in. Given the conditions experienced in Cook Strait i can only hope BB are working on providing more secure motorcycle stowage. I have always caught a ferry based on what time was convenient for me not really caring what boat it was but will be avoiding the Connemara next time i head north.
    take your own tie downs.If you dont need them they dont take up much room,but if you do you have peace of mind

Thread Information