Page 33 of 37 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast

Thread: Cook Strait Ferries Megathread

Bike
    invisibike
    Blog Entries
    do a search. Imsure its been said before.

Byo tie downs. Compress the forks and stop the ass bouncing sideways. 3 will do it.

Bike
    Bring your own tie downs, x 3. One to each handlebar side (pulling the bike up off the stand and forward) and one to through the rear wheel pulling bike back, bike left in gear, back wheel chocked. Some people leave it on the stand.

Bike
    2018 Triump Street Triple 765 rs
    If your coming from the South to Wellington, why wouldn't you just passenger across and save yourself $90 + for the bike.
    You could walk to the stadium from the terminal in 20 minutes.
    Trumpydom!

Bike
    S1000RR
    It's pretty easy actually. Technically speaking I think tie-downs are OTT but people (including myself) do it for the peace of mind. The boat is very stable.

Just leave it on the center stand

P.S. No, don't leave it on the center stand. Follow what Tazz said.

If you can make it on Kiwibiker you can make it anywhere.

Bike
    '04 Triumph Sprint ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubber View Post
    If your coming from the South to Wellington, why wouldn't you just passenger across and save yourself $90 + for the bike.
    You could walk to the stadium from the terminal in 20 minutes.
    I'm staying the night in town somewhere. I still might leave it in Picton. I paid for it and then thought that that might be a silly idea, especially coming back piss crook on Sunday.

Sent from my 0PJA10 using Tapatalk

Bike
    raptor 1000
    Quote Originally Posted by Joemac View Post
    especially coming back piss crook on Sunday.

well if your "piss crook" you shouldnt be riding

Bike
    I'm staying the night in town somewhere. I still might leave it in Picton. I paid for it and then thought that that might be a silly idea, especially coming back piss crook on Sunday.

I have secure parking out the back of work in Picton you can use if you like.
    Aboot 5 mins walk from the terminal when sober but 10 mins walk, 5 mins swim and 12 min duck fight if you're coming back still sauced.

Will just quickly mention that green bottled beer, Moa or JD is the preferred drop here at the minute

Bike
    2015 Aprilia Shiver
    Everyone has their own way. Here's mine. This assumes that you can't prop the front wheel against something solid (and I don't mean a chock).
    Put bike on sidestand. I take one short length of rope about 1 m long and tie the rear wheel onto the deck using hooks or what have you. This should stop the bike moving forward when you tie down the front of the bike. Tie another length of rope about 2m long using a bowline on to the left fork just about the lower triple clamp. Loop around something on the deck or bulkhead and tighten down moderately using a truckers hitch or similar. Tie another length of rope about 2 or 3m long around the other fork above the lower triple clamp and loop around some other fastening and tighten using another truckers hitch. Then tighten up the rope on the left triple clamp. Done.
    I don't use ratchet tiedowns because I trust my own knots. The rope can be used for other things when camping, etc. and takes less room. I found that yachting rope about 5mm or so thick holds knots well.
    A truckers hitch is a simple knot that works well. See #5 in here: http://blog.emergencyoutdoors.com/to...urvival-knots/
    You could use ratchet tiedowns at the front. In any case, watch out for pressure on fairings, on brake or electrical lines.
    It pays to make sure the bike next to yours is also tied down securely!

Bike
    '04 Triumph Sprint ST
    Quote Originally Posted by Tazz View Post
    I have secure parking out the back of work in Picton you can use if you like.
    Aboot 5 mins walk from the terminal when sober but 10 mins walk, 5 mins swim and 12 min duck fight if you're coming back still sauced.

Will just quickly mention that green bottled beer, Moa or JD is the preferred drop here at the minute
    Thanks man. I have a rellie in blenhiem who will drop me off at the terminal. Bit cheers for the offer!

Bike
    Thanks man. I have a rellie in blenhiem who will drop me off at the terminal. Bit cheers for the offer!

All good mate, offer stands any time you're passing through.
    Just had a quick yarn to a few who came up on the train today. They drank it dry haha.
    Few beers with a mate passing through on his way tonight (10:30pm sailing I think) so if you're in the hood and thirsty give us a yell. Will probably be downing steins at Cortardos

Bike
    '01 Yamaha YZFR6
    Blog Entries
    Wicked thread. Thanks for the tips and pics guys. I'll be going across with bluebridge next Sunday. Will make a post outlining any problems and a mini review. Churr churr.

THE FOUR RULES OF EXPLORING THIS AMAZING COUNTRY OF NZ
    RIDE SAFE, RIDE HARD, RIDE FREE

and try not sound so route 51 american brudda

Bike
    2008 Suzuki GSF1250s Bandit

Thumbs up

Thanks for all the great info. I studied this thread before taking my Suzuki 1250 Bandit on the Interislander - Wellington to Picton in May 2017.
    Found the advice here invaluable. As many have said, take your own tie downs. The tie downs on the ferry were in poor condition, went across on the Awatere. Not many tie downs on the Kaiarahi on the return voyage which was quite rough and I was glad I used four of my own heavy duty tie downs plus used some of their own.

I've posted a video on my new YouTube channel boarding the Awatere.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPw8SWg7WHE&t=7shttp://

I've added a couple of extra videos of riding down there, great weather and awesome roads and scenery. Can't wait to go again. Will add more videos as I get time.
    Not much commentary just the bike the road and fantastic views. Did get a bit chilly and was glad of the heated grips a friend persuaded me to install just before the trip.
    The bike was amazing, pulled up the hills like a train two up and heaps of gear, really comfortable touring machine, though I added some sheepskin covers to the seat to reduce a sore backside, definitely helpful on the longer legs. Used Velcro straps around the seat so I could easily remove the sheepskin covers if it rained.

Bike
    2016 Africa Twin DCT & 2015 Indian Chief

Crickey... It's been 10 years now!

Can't believe this thread is still going strong! It'll be 10 years since I started it this Xmas!

Bike
    Indian Scout
    I sailed the Interislander twice last week on the bike and was happy with the tie downs they provided. I always carry a small set myself but rarely bother to use my own.

I sailed out of Welly 9am which was the Kai..something. And returned on the night sailing 10pm from Picton, Kai... something else.. more of a cargo vessel. Their ties were easy to find, the tension release catches can be difficult sometimes to work. Both ships had the steel front wheel braces to position your bike which really help.
    Caution- these stands still require your sidestand. I have seen a rider once step off his bike only to watch it fall over onto the next bike.
    Happiness is a means of travel, not a destination

Bike
    Honda vfr 750 fn 1992 x2 90red
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by OV Lander View Post
    So am about to head south for a couple of weeks on the bike, and thought it best to ask the idiot question here, amongst friends (?), rather than on the ferry.

Just how do you secure the dike on the ferry?.... ....OK, so I mean't Bike!!

Do you:
    - tie it down as per on a trailer (not stand, compress the suspension)?
    - put on a stand (side or centre)?
    - put it in gear?
    - provide your own tie downs?
    - tie it down yourself or trust your machine to the crew?

I know some will say the answers are obvious, but I'd rather ask the 'bleedin' obvious' than damage the machine!

Cheers for all advice - G
    From memory the crew dont want to tie the machine down . i asked in the past

its the motorclist job they tie down the other well am not sure with cars just handbarke etc .

Thread Information