Page 34 of 34 FirstFirst ... 24323334

Thread: Cook Strait Ferries Megathread

Bike
    00 ZX-12R, 80 XS750SE
    Quote Originally Posted by actungbaby View Post
    From memory the crew dont want to tie the machine down . i asked in the past

its the motorclist job they tie down the other well am not sure with cars just handbarke etc .
    That's fair enough too, it negates them from any liability if the bike falls over due to being incorrectly stropped down.
    Plus personally I wouldn't trust anyone else to tie my bike down.
    I carry a Gorilla strop & 2 standard issue bike strops for trips that involve a ferry crossing, the gorilla does the front end and the other two do the rear and the bike is solid as a rock

Bike
    R100GSPD
    i use two at the front and one at the back If it looks as though its going to be a moderate trip I use the side stand,in gear and the straps sorta just hold it in place.If it looks like its gonna be rough its no stand front suspension compressed ,in gear and a tight strap on the back too .I will use a chock too if i can find one.I try to avoid trains n trucks but sometimes you got no choice

Bike
    1982 Suzuki GS1100GK, 2008 KLR650
    I agree with all that except leaving in gear. Just about all of my interisland trips are for the Brass Monkey (so, winter, rough crossing expected) and I'm not keen on the idea of and rocking back and forth loads being taken by the gearbox. (Not that there should be and rocking back and forth if it's tied down and chocked correctly but...)

As always, YMMV
    it's not a bad thing till you throw a KLR into the mix.
    those cheap ass bitches can do anything with ductape.
    (PostalDave on ADVrider)

Bike
    R100GSPD
    Quote Originally Posted by pete376403 View Post
    I agree with all that except leaving in gear. Just about all of my interisland trips are for the Brass Monkey (so, winter, rough crossing expected) and I'm not keen on the idea of and rocking back and forth loads being taken by the gearbox. (Not that there should be and rocking back and forth if it's tied down and chocked correctly but...)

As always, YMMV
    i dont see that the bike rocking back and forth places any more loads than a rough throttle chop or rough gear change,but hey its your bike!

Bike
    Valkyrie 1500 ,HD softail, BMW r1150r
    You could put cable tie on front brake lever...
    That will lock her up!
    Opinions are like arseholes: Everybody has got one, but that doesn't mean you got to air it in public all the time....

Thread Information