Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Euro transport authority questions need for “Motorcycle toys”

Bike
    Mine
    Quote Originally Posted by dipshit View Post
    Why do you think they are running the public health system into the ground? If you have to wait a couple of years to even get on a waiting list... this is making paying out of your own pocket to go for private healthcare a no-brainer.
    No argument there. I just get pissed off when one group is singled out for abuse while others where the carnage is much more black and white are ignored.

And before anyone jumps on me I don't want to ban smoking. What you do to your own lungs is no business of mine.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

"Live to Ride, Ride to Live"

Bike
    Mine
    If motorcyclists keep on with the carnage like we are today, then there is a very real possibility that the authorities will decide to do something about it.

And I would be majorly pissed off about that.
    Here we are most definately in agreement. If some beaurecrat tries to take my bike away they had better come prepared.

However I would not be surprised or blame the lawmakers. It would be idiot and irresponsible motorcyclists that couldn't see this coming that I would be pissed at.
    While I see your point that yes, as a group, we can be our own worst enemy, the BLAME will always lie with the assaliant, not the victim. I would blame the lawmakers for being selfish, short sighted and blind to the consequences of their actions.
    "Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin (1706-90)

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending to much liberty than those attending too small a degree of it." - Thomas Jefferson (1743-1826)

"Motorcycling is not inherently dangerous. It is, however, EXTREMELY unforgiving of inattention, ignorance, incompetence and stupidity!" - Anonymous

Bike
    KTM 890 Adventure
    Quote Originally Posted by swbarnett View Post
    And before anyone jumps on me I don't want to ban smoking. What you do to your own lungs is no business of mine.
    Actually, I would support a ban on tobacco sales, and that's not necessarily at odds with my general preference to be left alone to make my own choices. It's the single most addictive substance around, and that removes enough of the element of choice to make it a fair target, (for me), for state control.
    Go soothingly on the grease mud, as there lurks the skid demon

Bike
    GSXR 750 the wanton hussy
    I would blame the lawmakers for being selfish, short sighted and blind to the consequences of their actions.
    Which leads me to comment that in order to save tax dollars, the penny pinching must stop. At least in regards to what goes on and into our roading network. A properly made road, using the best materials and safety features is a delight for all, needs no remedial action for years, and will help avoid much of the current costs incurred through "accidents".
    Mind you, nothing can stop the idiots. Except Darwin. Or Katman.
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Katanasaurus Rex
    Quote Originally Posted by MSTRS View Post
    Mind you, nothing can stop the idiots. Except Darwin. Or Katman.
    I know that probably wasn't meant as a compliment - but I'm going to take it as one anyway.

Bike
    K5 GSXR1000
    Regardless of what the majority of us do, the media will pick the flavour of story that appeals to them and their wallets when reporting accidents. And their interpretation and slant is hardly unbiased.

And Politicians will go with the easy un-PC target every time.

Of course when they do get the anti bike media frenzy going, if we dont stand up for ourselves as a group we really will have only ourselves to blame....

Bike
    Moto Guzzi V7
    Quote Originally Posted by davereid View Post
    You are so right.

But sadly the Nanny state won't admit that you own your life.

It authorises itself to use violence to make sure you are safe, and productive.

Yes, I know that sounds like you are the property of the state, perhaps a slave even. And so are your children.

In the last few years your Nanny-owner has made a few decisions about your rights and obligations.

With due thanks to Peter Creswell who has summarised them:

We may not discipline our children
    We may not let them eat tasty food
    We must pay for hysterical advertising that treats adults like children
    We must not watch advertising that treats us like adults
    We may not drive fast cars in industrial areas at night
    We may not climb tall ladders
    We may not act in ways that Nanny deems "anti-social"
    We may not buy vitamins and minerals without a prescription from Nanny
    We may not drink alcohol in public places
    We may not smoke cigarettes at work or in the pub
    We may not smoke marijuana anywhere
    We may not ride a bicycle without a helmet
    We may not walk a poodle without a muzzle
    We may not buy fireworks that go ‘Bang!’
    We may not put up bright billboards or sandwich boards around our cities
    We may not cut down trees on our own property
    We may not repair our own property if Nanny says we can't
    We may not plant trees on our own property without Nanny’s approval of the type of tree
    We may not paint our houses in colours of which Nanny disapproves
    We may not build houses at all where Nanny says we can’t
    We may not advertise for young female employees
    We may not open for business on days Nanny specifies
    If we do open for business, we must act as Nanny's unpaid tax collectors
    We may not fire staff who steal from us
    We may not fire staff, whatever their employment contract says
    We must surrender our children to Nanny’s factory schools
    We must pay for teachers that can’t teach and for centres of education that aren’t
    We must believe that Alan Bollard knows what he’s doing
    We must believe that our money is not our own
    We must not call bureaucrats “arseholes”
    We must not offend people paid to boss us around with our money
    We must answer stupid questions when Nanny asks us
    We may not spend our own money in ways of which Nanny disapproves
    We may not defend ourselves against people who try to kill us
    We must pretend that snails are more important than we are
    We must pretend that murderers are people too
    We must pretend that totalitarian Islamists do not want us dead, that Castro’s hospitals are not abattoirs, and that Che Guevara was a humanitarian
    We must apologise to tribalists for things we didn’t do
    We must not offend criminals for things they did do
    We must apologise to conservationists for things we need to do
    We must apologise for success
    We must ignore failure
    We may not build new power stations that actually produce real power
    We must not offend Gaia by driving big cars and enjoying overseas holidays … unless we’re a cabinet minister
    We may not end our own lives when we choose
    We must pay for art we don’t like and TV shows we don’t watch
    We must pay middle class families to become welfare beneficiaries
    We must pay no-hopers to breed

Just part of the list that will lead to Joe Bloggs saying enough is enough and then the revolution will start, people will take so much sh!t then in the end they will kick back, normally when it's so late that the revolution will end up like the War of Independance in the Americas

Bike
    Quote Originally Posted by WelshWizard View Post
    Just part of the list that will lead to Joe Bloggs saying enough is enough and then the revolution will start, people will take so much sh!t then in the end they will kick back, normally when it's so late that the revolution will end up like the War of Independance in the Americas
    I hope you are not suggesting that we start shooting pollies? Mind you, after 5 or 6 (20+?), the rest might start listening for real...
    Do you realise how many holes there could be if people would just take the time to take the dirt out of them?

Bike
    Moto Guzzi V7

Really

I hope you are not suggesting that we start shooting pollies? Mind you, after 5 or 6 (20+?), the rest might start listening for real...
    I don't have to suggest anything, look through history, people will only take so much before they kick back

Bike
    Correct, WW. And looking at history, what we learn is that we don't learn from history. Those that 'know best' keep right on with their bullshit in an attempt to control their subjects/human behaviour through force of some sort, until the only path open to the affected is...adamant resistance.

Bike
    GSX-R600 k8

Bike
    Mine

Now that's intelligent....

Bike
    GSX-R600 k8
    Now that's intelligent....
    Thank you. I thought it summed up the last few posts in this thread quite nicely.

Bike
    Mine
    Thank you. I thought it summed up the last few posts in this thread quite nicely.
    My father-in-law would use that kind of retort when he knew he'd lost an argument.

Bike
    2005 FZS1000 "Tasha"
    Not that I can see. We live here, we pay taxes for a variety of purposes like it or not, NannyState increasingly chips away at our 'freedoms' (presumeably to ensure we keep living to pay taxes),...........
    ahHA yes!! i see it all now!!

only LIVE taxpayers can continue to be bled for $$$ to replenish the public purse ..... so theoretically a dead motorcyclist is no use to the state .....

no WONDER there's so much cotton wool being wrapped around us!!
    ... ...

Grass wedges its way between the closest blocks of marble and it brings them down. This power of feeble life which can creep in anywhere is greater than that of the mighty behind their cannons....... - Honore de Balzac

Thread Information