Thread: 97 GSF600S Bandit

Bike
    -

97 GSF600S Bandit

My first bike after getting my full licence, what a great thing to get off 250's.
    The Bandit seems to brake well, and has good low end torque. Heavy (202kg), but the throttle helps right it after a turn nicely. Bit annoyed about the range, 20l tank, but only get about 130 miles before I hit the reserve.
    Had the missus on the back quite a bit, she's a good pillion, and no problems with the extra load.
    Happy with the fairly upright riding position - plan to do a bit of touring, so should be a bit more comfortable.

Quote Originally Posted by bear
    My first bike after getting my full licence, what a great thing to get off 250's.
    The Bandit seems to brake well, and has good low end torque. Heavy (202kg), but the throttle helps right it after a turn nicely. Bit annoyed about the range, 20l tank, but only get about 130 miles before I hit the reserve.
    Had the missus on the back quite a bit, she's a good pillion, and no problems with the extra load.
    Happy with the fairly upright riding position - plan to do a bit of touring, so should be a bit more comfortable.
    bandit is a great we have an 00 model last of the orginal shape, got it brand new, everyone in family loves to ride it cause its a bit of a hoons sorta bike, we have put an aftermarket kerker pipe, it makes the bike rather loud we can hear it from a good 3 kms away but makes it fun to ride cause you can thrash it a bit, and you are not doing total insane speeds, i have taken our bandit 600 around taupo went bloody well. I think it puts out about 79hp rw

We replaced the stock tires after they were stuffed with a set of bridgestone 010, damn what a difference they thing just turns and handles like a dream, the stock tires were great but these are another step away. We stiffed up the braking by putting HH pads all around. Ours is also set up with a ventura pack rack with givi side boxes, for touring.

Awsome bike for touring communting, good weekend thrash bike. Yes it likes to eat the gas, you gotta have some problems.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Well likely I can fix your reserve problem.

Take a real small gas can with you when you are close to running onto reserve & when you do change take note or reset the odo. Ride.

& ride & ride till you run out, take note, put gas in & refill.

My RF900 had a miserable range of 250kms to reserve (was 225 but I changed the thermostat to a 90 degree one & that helped).

Either way the reserve had 85km on it! Sheesh, that’s just a waste.

Turn the tank upside down & pull the tap out (two 10mm bolts). There is a long brass tube with a filter on the end. Slide the filter off & cut the tube shorter. Slide the filter back on (carefully it wil stretch ok).

I cut mine in half (tank gets smaller near bottom so don’t go crazy) which gave me another 50k useable range & I still have 35k on reserve which should be fine & as much as I’ve had on previous bikes.

A friend's Bandit 1200 seems to leave 4.5 litres in reserve which should be about the same as the RF so the 600 is likely as maligned
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    -
    Yeah, from reading the specs, the reserve is about 4.5l. Good tip on increasing mileage before you hit the reserve.

Bike
    RZ496/Street 765RS/GasGas/ etc etc
    Blog Entries
    Yeah my friend is quite funny (for a short while), he religiously calculates & writes down the mileage so he knows exactly the economy & how much is on main tank & like a train spotter knows the tank size so we worked out how much is left & with his calculations how far it would get him, but he still steadfastly pulls into a service station if he gets closed to going on reserve,
    because,

well I don’t know why, but it makes it bloody annoying waiting when all he is doing is carrying around 4-5 litres that will never get used.

My fuel warning light came on super early too. I adjusted it by unscrewing the large hex (think the 1200 has one, not sure on 600) on the bottom of the tank & resoldering the sender about an inch lower). Again this is for the RF & [ahem] results may vary.
    Don't you look at my accountant.
    He's the only one I've got.

Bike
    -
    Yeah, once it gets around 100 miles I'm looking for a gas station. Working out the mileage isn't too bad, then I hassle my mates in the cages and how much they pay to fuel up.
    One friend has a 01 Skyline GT-T, and we were comparing specs, 0-100 GT-T 5.3 Bandit 5.5, 1/4 mile GT-T around 14 Bandit 12.3. Although there are some advantages to cars, on performance he paid a whole lot more for his hardware.

Bike
    '76 CB550 Super Sport
    I'd be interesting to see how the Bandit goes long term. If I ever get rid of the Integra it will be a 600-750 class bike.

Bike
    Honda PC800
    Bear --are you still running your bike in? Ive been riding baby B's bandit 600 around and it gets better fuel economy than that--and even my gsx1100g gets like 220km from $20 worth of gas.
    Come to think of it -I took the bandit to Pukie -rode it all day at a track day then rode it home and I think I only put in about 5 litres more gas.
    I'd just check how many litres you're putting in when the bike runs onto reserve.If its only about 10 litres then go down the track of--hmm fuel tap needs work.
    To see a life newly created.To watch it grow and prosper. Isn't that the greatest gift a human being can be given?

Bike
    -
    Cheers, it's a 97 and has 24,000 miles on it, so no running in required. When it got down to the reserve I put in about 13 litres. Seems to run about 6-6.5 litres per 100 km.

Thread Information