Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: US tour, got any tips?

Bike
    Triumph Tiger

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by lemure View Post
    Before you go, you might visit these ...

http://www.visi.com/~dalebor/index.html#contents

http://www.biker-crossroads.com/moto...nning_map.html

YMMV

Have a great time...
    Cool links, cheers mate.

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you're just not paying attention!"
    "There is no limit to dumb."

"Resolve to live with all your might while you do live, and as you shall wish you had done ten thousand years hence."

Bike
    Suzuki LS650 Savage
    I did a trip across the USA last summer on my LS650, started in Maine on the Eastern Seaboard and went right across the country, ended up in Los Angeles. Check out http://max-thestateimin.blogspot.com for details. Insurance details are on there close to the start (see the June posts, pre-trip) - FERNET insurance. They were bloody brilliant, especially regarding liability insurance, which you need more than any other type, and won't be able to get in NZ. It costs shitloads (I think I paid about $300US for two months) but you can't beat the peace of mind. Get normal travel insurance here before you leave to cover you in case you injure yourself, or lose anything, but read the fine print on the policy and make sure it covers you for motorcycling. Not all policies do.

Roads, try to take the Pacific Coast Highway if you can, San Fran down to LA, as you'll be on the correct side of the road to appreciate it best. Its one of the most scenic, beautiful roads in the world. Colorado is great, if you can get down there the roads are stunning. Nevada, Death Valley, make sure you always carry and drink PLENTY of water, as even in March those areas are hot, hot, hot. Maybe take a camel pack. I rode thru Oklahoma, New Mexico and the Mohave Desert wishing I had one!! Biggest problem in those areas is dehydration and because you create your own wind, you won't notice how much you might sweat, as it evaporates quickly, and you can dehydrate superfast!!! Warning signs are fatigue and white spots in your vision.

Gas up wherever you can, top off wherever you get the chance, even if you're a long way from empty. Join a USA motorcycle forum before you go if you want to make contacts to hook up with out there. Generally the USA biking people are absolutely great. I did my trip by myself, and I met some fantastic people, and I'm definitely going back, cos there's so much I didn't do last time.

Keep an eye on the forecasts, for thunderstorms rolling thru your route.

You can get a cheap mobile phone and a $25US sim card for travelling (and you get the full 25 bucks as credit), or borrow someone's phone for the trip, even if all you can get on it is access to emergency 911 services, just in case you need them. Make sure you don't hook in with a provider that can't guarantee coverage in the areas you want to go. AT&T/Cingular are a nightmare in most areas away from the big cities, and I wasn't even able to access 911 in many places, which really pissed me off. Always keep loose change for payphones in case your mobile won't work.

Most small independent motels will negotiate rates, especially if you rock up at a place that looks really quiet/empty. The chains sometimes have great rates if you book online in advance.

If I think of anything else that isn't covered on the blog already, I'll come back in here, or you're welcome to post or PM me for any other info.

Oh yeah, and if you're shipping a bike there or back, do yourself the biggest possible favour and DON'T use TNL.

Bike
    Triumph Tiger
    Cheesr Max, I will enjoy reading your blog, very cool!

"Resolve to live with all your might while you do live, and as you shall wish you had done ten thousand years hence."

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyGirl View Post
    TAKE ME WITH YOU!!!!!! that is all the thoughts i have for your trip..... jealous as hell!!! Have a blast babe
    Stay here with me girl, I have just completed a course on "How to be a Sugar Daddy".

The course went well but I have run out of sugar, Damn! Cheers John.

Bike
    2002 Bandit 1200s
    Quote Originally Posted by oldrider View Post
    Stay here with me girl, I have just completed a course on "How to be a Sugar Daddy".

You are a naughty boy!
    "Some people say that one's personality is reflected by the way they ride their bike........I’m screwed"

Bike
    Triumph Speed Four

Just as well some of us are on a low calorie habit then eh?

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedyGirl View Post
    You are a naughty boy!
    Yep...and that's how we like him
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    Time to cut out the "holier/more enlightened than thou" bullshit and the "slut" comments and let people live honestly how they like providing they're not harming themselves or others in the process.

Bike
    Grunty beast

Stateside and Rightside

The biggest problem I've heard of in the States is us Kiwi's not keeping to the RH side of the road. I personally know of one resulting death and many close shaves through this problem.

When I toured in 2006, I stuck a small reflective arrow (pointing right) on my speedo (white-board pen on a rear view mirror or your screen will also do the trick.) That way whenever I put my key into the ignition, my eye caught the arrow, and started me thinking about which way I was going to have to ride, which lane etc.... in my experience most such accidents happen when pulling out of lay-by's, carparks, gas stations etc switching from no lanes to the real road.

This method, just makes you think about your direction BEFORE pulling out (as the actress said to the Bishop) those first few moments are crucuial - and once you are underway in the RH lane, you get into the groove and the problem receeds. The idea worked a treat on our travels (6 weeks, 12,500 km over 11 Western states) and after few days I noticed all most of my riding companions adopted the same idea.

That's my cents worth...

Bike
    Triple Delight
    Quote Originally Posted by Macktheknife View Post
    Cheesr Max, I will enjoy reading your blog, very cool!
    I have had an idea mate. You need to pack pint sized friends to take with you

We will miss you otherwise......LOL
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    Triumph Tiger
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    I have had an idea mate. You need to pack pint sized friends to take with you

We will miss you otherwise......LOL
    Maybe I could borrow some of your 'action figurines' to put in my bags?
    Or should I ask for volunteers?

Bike
    Triple Delight
    They aren't mine, and probably not so good company, volunteers all the way

shhhhh maybe Maha wont see this...
    Quote Originally Posted by Gubb View Post
    Nonono,

He rides the Leprachhaun at the end of the Rainbow. Usually goes by the name Anne McMommus

Bike
    none
    I'll volunteer. You could even leave me there.

Sever
    Now and forever
    you're just another lost soul about to be mine again
    see her, you'll never free her
    you must surrender it all
    And give life to me again
    Disturbed - Inside the Fire

Bike
    Sold
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    I'll volunteer. You could even leave me there.
    That's a bit risky Waylander!

Some (on KB) might want to contribute funds toward the cost of that! (lol) Cheers John.

Bike
    2004 Honda ST1300
    Actually Keith and I will be riding together for at least some of the time, lovely guy.

6 weeks to go!
    DAYUM! - I luuurve you too Mack! .. .. AND it was great to catch-up with you again on the blower last weekend. Good constructive chat.

Just read all the posts on this thread .. Humph! Now ya didn't tell me about your snoring habit! .. .. Reckon I'll be needing my earplugs after all!

JUST 5 WEEKS to go now .. until those BIG silver birds carry us both off to America's left-hand coast. Shit! this is gonna be soooooo good. Keep in touch meanwhile.

I'll be seeing you soon. Cheers for now.

KEITH

PS - Geoff-the-Blackbird is dead right; this next trip's blog is already set-up [Still Lost in America ...]. Now all I gotta do is add the pics and captions - reckon your Connie will be featuring in more than just a few of them, eh mate?!

Bike
    none
    That's a bit risky Waylander!

Some (on KB) might want to contribute funds toward the cost of that! (lol) Cheers John.
    I wouldn't complain.

Sever
    Now and forever
    you're just another lost soul about to be mine again
    see her, you'll never free her
    you must surrender it all
    And give life to me again
    Disturbed - Inside the Fire

Bike
    2014 Honda VFR1200F
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Waylander View Post
    I wouldn't complain.
    but you might come back
    bikes and babes are best naked

Quote Originally Posted by oldguy View Post
    MONEYI don't have any
    Quote Originally Posted by Mom View Post
    I found I had a fluffy seam when my crotch got wet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lula View Post
    Pussy forget about him.

Thread Information